Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times

Advertisements

You know, her parents are entirely capable of getting on an article and commenting as someone else. I wouldn't take that as absolute proof one way or another. I do give considerable weight to the university giving her a full scholarship (and her performance in school, come to that, hardly the academic performance of a crazy drug addict). Universities are not really inclined to give away money without some evidence as to what's really going on, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I just think there's more to the story.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I thought that too, but than I thought perhaps the full scholarship schools were close to home. It would be interesting to know if the parents had any real cause for concern or if they really are just crazy. If the school pickup up the tab for her final year, I'm thinking they must have had some interactions with the parents that made them support the daughter.
From the NY Daily News article:

Aubrey eventually cut off all contact with her parents. But that didn’t keep them away. The school hired security guards to keep the Irelands out of their daughter’s shows.

21-year-old Ohio honor student wins stalking order against helicopter parents who monitored her Internet use and phone calls* - NY Daily News

Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
The newscaster said her parents had "co-dependency disorder."

There is no such disorder.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This poor girl was desperate to get some control over her own life. Now the parents think she should repay the $60,000+ they spent on her education. I don't think they should pay one more cent but trying to get back what they have already spent is extreme. These parents sound so co-dependent and it is a hot mess all the way around.

Student Wins Stalking Order Against 'Overly Involved' Parents - ABC News
The parents sound way more than "co-dependent", they sound crazy. Exactly what type, I am not sure, but several diagnoses come to mind.

Arriving at college unannounced was all I needed to hear. So wrong, so inappropriate and embarrassing!
Degrading really. And selfish on the part of the parents,

Meeting with the department head? NO! WRONG!

Installing spyware on her computer and bugging her room? Despicable and insane.

I applaud her bravery to go public about this and to obtain the restraining order.

Also, I am happy that the school gave her a full scholarship!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No judge is going to make her pay a dime.

The parents cannot prove it was a loan. She used the money for the intended purpose. From a guy with two semesters of Business Law, the parents ain't getting their money back.
No they aren't. And worse, they are not getting their daughter back!

They earned that. Their actions are reprehensible!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 PM

Helicopter parents: When do they cross the line into stalking? - written by someone who knows the family

Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The parents sound way more than "co-dependent", they sound crazy. Exactly what type, I am not sure, but several diagnoses come to mind.

Arriving at college unannounced was all I needed to hear. So wrong, so inappropriate and embarrassing!
Degrading really. And selfish on the part of the parents,

Meeting with the department head? NO! WRONG!

Installing spyware on her computer and bugging her room? Despicable and insane.

I applaud her bravery to go public about this and to obtain the restraining order.

Also, I am happy that the school gave her a full scholarship!
Yes, something is wrong with these people. Installing spyware on her computer and phone and making her put on Skype so they can monitor her (WATCH HER SLEEP????) is insane.

I would NEVER go to my daughter's college and talk to her department head or advisors or whatever. That's her job.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think we know enough of the story to make a judgment about it. I live a short distance from where this family lives/where the girl grew up. It's a very affluent area; she could just be a spoiled brat. The kids where she grew up are often very rich and spoiled. Her parents said she is an only child who has been given everything her whole life. Even though she had full ride scholarships to other schools, they wanted to pay for her to go to this one because it is among the best. Sounded like she wanted to go there and they were happy to pay for her to go there.

The parents also say that they have a concern about mental issues concerning her, so I wonder if there are things we don't know. The father mentioned mental illness/suicide on his side of the family. I just got the feeling from what was said that maybe she had been treated in the past for some kind of mental disorder. I mean, a lot of very intelligent, very talented people are also very troubled. The Colorado movie shooter - didn't his mother come forward and say she believed they had the right person when they arrested him? Didn't Adam's Lanza's mother keep a close eye on him because she knew she needed to? Maybe this girl's parents also feel a need to keep an eye on her, and maybe not because they worry about her hurting someone else, but herself. Maybe that's completely off track, but I don't think we should be judging the parents just on the little that we know so far.

I'm not saying this girl has a mental illness, I'm just saying I don't think we know everything. Maybe the parents are nuts, but maybe they are not. I wouldn't be surprised if the girl was a spoiled brat with a sense of entitlement. No, that doesn't make it okay to watch her every move for no reason. But maybe they have a reason or maybe they just went over the line.

I am waiting for people in the community who know the girl and/or the parents to come out and say what they have observed and what they are really like. Then I think we'll have a better idea what is really going on.

EDIT - That didn't take long. The first comment at this link below, The Pitch, (which is a Kansas City site), is by someone who apparently knows Aubrey - and says she broke her mother's shoulder and ribs. I knew there had to be more to the story.

Aubrey Ireland, a Leawood college student, gets a restraining order against her parents | Plog
A judge wouldn't have issued an order unless their motives were ridiculous. And yes an ANON comment on a website is surely stellar evidence . Chances are that person is a troll and doesn't actually know her you are aware correct? I'm sorry but any parents going to your college and bad mouthing you to your teachers, installing monitoring software on computer and phone, and demanding you leave skype on all night to ensure you were not leaving your dorm room are not concerned parents, they are bat**** crazy. She can't be that bad of a girl really. She got offered several scholarships to other schools, does community volunteer work, and is on the deans list.

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 12-29-2012 at 11:20 AM..

Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
A judge wouldn't have issued an order unless their motives were ridiculous. And yes an ANON comment on a website is surely stellar evidence . Chances are that person is a troll and doesn't actually know her you are aware correct? I'm sorry but any parents going to your college and bad mouthing you to your teachers, installing monitoring software on computer and phone, and demanding you leave skype on all night to ensure you were not leaving your dorm room are not concerned parents, they are bat**** crazy. She can't be that bad of a girl really. She got offered several scholarships to other schools, does community volunteer work, and is on the deans list.
There's a lot we don't know. I'm sure there is more to the story that will come out. I think a judge can be persuaded to issue an order. The order is based on her assertions; he doesn't take their motives into account. And yes, I agree that what they did was over the top, but I also believe there is part of the story missing. We only know her side, and we don't know that it is true other than what the parents admitted to, which is the monitoring software. As I said, there is more to the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting