Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times

Advertisements

our 17 year old daughter wants to go away to LA with 2 of her girlfriends for 2 weeks... not sure how I feel about this... we are from NJ, so it's pretty far. Anyone let their kids do this type of trip? I know when I graduated, went to the beach for a week with friends, but that was in my own state (not across the country)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Alone? No adults/chaperones?
How old are the friends?
Where will they stay?
Has she traveled much? Ever traveled alone?
Why 2 weeks? What are their plans?

With no other info, my first reply as a mom of 2 16-yr-olds is NO WAY.

But you know your daughter best.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Alone? No adults/chaperones?
How old are the friends?
Where will they stay?
Has she traveled much? Ever traveled alone?
Why 2 weeks? What are their plans?

With no other info, my first reply as a mom of 2 16-yr-olds is NO WAY.

But you know your daughter best.
No adults... well one of her friends is 18, but she doesn't count.
not sure, they are looking at plans...but waiting for my decision..
she has never traveled alone. i'm leaning towards no way, but I know she's going to go on about how she's not a baby...

Ugh, teenagers!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times
2 weeks? No adults? No way!!

I have an aunt who allowed her daughter to go to cancun for a week for spring break.

My cousin ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks with a "staff infection" where she almost died. I still have no idea what my cousin was really up to, but I can say that I saw this coming a mile in advance.

tell he when she's older and an adult she can go do it, I don't know why you're even thinking of saying yes to this.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
No, she's not a baby, but she is a minor, so you make the decision, and she has to respect it. I would personally say no to this kind of trip. It could be dangerous and also is very expensive. Plus, if you say yes for this, then you will never be able to say no to "little" things again, she will always remind you about those two weeks away.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Without an adult or any specific reason to go I'd be solidly inthe "no"camp. 17 year olds think they need to do everything now. Like perhaps LA won't be there when they are older. Just how do they plan to get around once there? They are too young to rent a hotel or a car. You know your daughter best but I'd be wary. I had a very responsible daughter but I wouldn't have allowed that.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
No way in God's green earth would cover this . There are way too many things that can happen to her and her friends . NO NO NO .... Exactly when she is an adult then she can make her decision to do things like this . Yep My niece got in trouble on a school sponsored trip and they had chaperones and we still dont know what happened there but if it can happen with chapperones then you know it can happen with kids with no adults along . Do you all watch tv and hear news reports about missing girls all the time ? This is ridiculous and you should not even be considering this .

Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Nope. Say "yes" to a weekend in New York, and see how that goes.

That way you are not the "meanest mom in the world", and you are letting her make a choice.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
No way in God's green earth would cover this . There are way too many things that can happen to her and her friends . NO NO NO .... Exactly when she is an adult then she can make her decision to do things like this . Yep My niece got in trouble on a school sponsored trip and they had chaperones and we still dont know what happened there but if it can happen with chapperones then you know it can happen with kids with no adults along . Do you all watch tv and hear news reports about missing girls all the time ? This is ridiculous and you should not even be considering this .
Eek! I'm also solidly in the "NO WAY!" camp. Tell her when she graduates from college you'll consider it, but not until then.

Remember Natalee Holloway?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Yep, no way.

They are too inexperienced, and they don't even have a plan. It's totally ridiculous that they would think you would say yes when she hasn't ever traveled alone.

Yes, she will think you're the mean mom, but SO WHAT?? That will only last for a few days. Just tell her she can add this to the list of things to tell her future therapist.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting