Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up in the 80's MTV was becoming popular. Then it was mostly music videos. My mom wasn't crazy about us watching it because even then some videos were a little racy, (by her standards not mine),. When I was 14 Beavis and Butthead became very popular and MTV started to have more shows on then music videos and my mom said she didn't want us watching it. At the time I thought she was nuts. Fast forward to today and when I'm channel surfing what I see on MTV is nothing but garbage! I have a filthy mouth, don't practice a religion and I'm not a moralist, but if I had kids today or if I ever become a parent my children will NOT watch MTV! The message some of those shows send to teens, (who are already impressionable to begin with), is a disgrace. "Jersey Shore," thats right, do nothing with your life except party all the time. "Teen Mom," let's make celebrities out of girls who made bad choices in their life, (I love sex, I'm all for it, but when you're still a kid yourself and not prepared to have a child you need to use birth control), and make having a douchebag boyfriend/baby's father and a screwed up life before it gets started seem like a badge of honor. "My Super Sweet Sixteen," every 16 y/o's parents need to spend a 100k on her birthday. Lets show kids to be spoiled brats and obsessed with material things and throw a temper tantrum when your first Mercedes isn't the exact color you wanted.
Anybody agree with me on this? I would like to get some people that are parents opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
MTV still exists? I had no idea. We never watch those shows. They are trash.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
MTV is THE destination for trashy reality tv. Vh1 is a close second.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
While most of their stuff is pretty trashy, they have done some worthwhile shows on True Life to educate teens about certain issues.

The sequence on autism from 2007 was excellent
I Have Autism | True Life | Full Episode Video | MTV

Full list and synopses of the episodes is here:
True Life | Full Episode Synopses and Recaps | MTV

They have had shows on diabetes, on deafness, on drug addiction, on the occupy movement, etc. All of the episodes are told from the POV of the protagonists.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I've seen some of the shows like Jersey Shore and Teen Moms and they are pretty bad. Throw in some of the music videos that are being made these days and I must agree....MTV is not for kids. Older teens, maybe.

So far MTV has not been an issue in our house. I remember when MTV came out and how I loved watching the video countdowns every week. Back then it really was all about Music Television Videos.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I'm so glad my kid is grown.

My parents were very strict about the TV when I was going up. We weren't even allowed to watch Soap!
As an adult and I've watched it, I understand why.

I was strict but not as strict as my parents.
MTV was blocked.

There's not much out there that I would have been allowed to watch today. And I gotta say, I'd have to find other things for my kids to do before I'd let them sit and watch that garbage called Reality TV.(there are exceptions)

Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
I do not let my kids watch it not because I believe in censoring reality, but I do not think that MTV is an indication of reality, rather false standards for the dregs of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting