Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,010 times

Advertisements

I have a 2 year old son who wont really eat and its really stressing me out. it started last june he went from eating normal foods to not eating anything except bread and a tuna sub (only from subway) ive taken him to the doctors and they told me he'll grow out of it. Its now been 7 months and hes still the same i really dont know what to do with him hes not getting enough vitamins and im really starting to worry about him becoming sick.

this is what he eats and drinks:

1. toast, a tuna sub, yogurt

2. he only drinks fruit juice

this cant be ok, has anyone had the same problem with their child? please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
2 year olds can be picky eaters. Perhaps give him an incentive to try other foods. "If you eat 2 pieces of _____, I will give you some tuna yogurt toast"

Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Leave Him Alone. As my wise pediatrician once told me, it is your job to offer food. It is HIS job to eat it or not. Give him small servings of healthy, balanced food and BE QUIET. He will not starve himself. He will have uncomfortable feelings in his belly that will motivate him to rethink his position.

You do not want the rest of childhood to be one long battle over what he eats.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I have a 2 year old son who wont really eat and its really stressing me out. it started last june he went from eating normal foods to not eating anything except bread and a tuna sub (only from subway) ive taken him to the doctors and they told me he'll grow out of it. Its now been 7 months and hes still the same i really dont know what to do with him hes not getting enough vitamins and im really starting to worry about him becoming sick.
Listen to his doctors.

Offer healthy food - when he is hungry , he will eat.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Let him be. It will work itself out.

NO BARGAINING! If you start negotiating with him about eating, it will backfire and drag out the problem.

One of my 16- year-olds was a horribly picky eater. I did lots of things wrong and lots of things right, but the one thing I've learned over time is that the human body usually works stuff like this out.

That son is now 6'3" and eats most everything.

Just back off, offer your son lots of foods, including the stuff he likes, but don't judge and don't comment.

Food is for fuel, not an emotional fight or a stand-off.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:44 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Let him be. It will work itself out.

NO BARGAINING! If you start negotiating with him about eating, it will backfire and drag out the problem.

One of my 16- year-olds was a horribly picky eater. I did lots of things wrong and lots of things right, but the one thing I've learned over time is that the human body usually works stuff like this out.

That son is now 6'3" and eats most everything.
I had a picky eater too. I don't remember what age, but young, I said this is stupid. This is what I made to eat. Eat it or don't. It took a few weeks to transition the expectation. Now, at 12, I can not keep the food out of him INCLUDING GASP fruits, vegetables, and food that is all mixed together like soups and stews. He never would have TOUCHED that before. No battles. No worrying.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Adults sometimes watch TV and listen to all the "Don't eat this, don't eat that [for your health]" programs.

So maybe they don't eat certain foods. Or only cook foods which are low sodium or low cholesterol, etc.

Well maybe a growing kid needs those things?

The question is... Are you leaving certain things out of the foods you cook at home which Subway includes in their tuna sandwiches?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:

this cant be ok, has anyone had the same problem with their child? please help!!
My oldest son is 19 years old. He is a college athlete and has excellent eating habits (better than my husband and I). When he was 3 he ate:

Strawberries
Cheerios
Milk
Chicken
Rice
Broccoli
Peanut butter
Bread

We continued to feed him the same food we eat and eventually he started trying new foods.

Don't bribe him. Don't make a big deal out of it. Simply present SMALL portions of whatever you and your husband are having for dinner. He will eat it or he won't. Eventually he will start eating. I see no reason why he can't eat yogurt every day.

The more you stress out about it the worse it will become.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:

In the US two year old children can't get a drivers license. It must be different where you live. Or does he just walk to Subway to purchase the tuna subs for his meals?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Really he's probably picking up on your stress and he's learning that food is an issue. I think all you should do is make healthy food available but don't make any issue at all --- he's not going to starve to death. I would stop giving him fruit juice other than orange or prune juice -- that may be one reason his appetitie isn't good but yogurt, tuna fish and toast are healthy foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting