Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Curious View Post
I always get a kick out of watching the kids ages 10-18 stand at the bus stop near our home. It is 25 degrees and windy in the morning in January and they are wearing short pants and a tee shirt. At most they are wearing a sweat shirt and jeans but only if it is just super cold.

I think the schools should contact protective services and report the parents for not parenting. Why would anyone allow their kids to stand around in below freezing weather in short pants and tee shirts in mid January? Parents: What's the story with kids and coats?
Allow children to make their own clothing choices??!! Call the POLICE to heck with CPS. No really, lynch them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
Default Yes

I surely do!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
It is a constant battle, especially with my daughter, to wear appropriate clothing. As long as she complies with the dress code at school, I've learned to let things go. However if it is bitterly cold with a cold weather advisory, I will insist on a warmer cost. Most of the time though, she goes out in a very light jacket. I won't let her go to school in shorts though in the middle of winter. So I do control things somewhat.

I will fall on my sword though if we are packing for a trip or going to go on a lengthy outdoor excursion. There is one thing about them learning a lesson to wear appropriate clothing. On the other hand, I won't be patient listening to them whine about being cold the entire day/trip. We went to Seattle a few years ago and went on an all day excursion on a boat. The day started out badly when she wanted to wear a skimpy little outfit. i explained that it can get really chilly out on the water, especially Seattle area....brrrrrr. After much sulking and pouting, she put on a warmer outfit. However she pulled a sneaky one and threw her jacket back in the car when I went ahead with my father to board the boat. What commensed was a full day of whining on the boat, overall misery for everyone involved. I was pretty angry about the whole situation. We pulled into a small town for lunch and of course grandpa insisted that we buy the poor thing a jacket. I was steaming mad that day. Now I micromanage our trips and clothing.....jackets, shoes, etc. We love going on long walks when we travel so a pair of walking shoes is a must. Have gotten much resistance over this as well. Daughter can be rather challenging at times.

Last edited by Siggy20; 01-15-2013 at 02:23 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
I figure they know if they are cold and how to remedy the problem if they are.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I've decided cold and hot are very personal concepts. I am astounded by the kids in our neighborhood who wear shorts- boys and girls- to school. My girls walk partially to school and all the way home from school and here in N.C. it can be a 20+ degree difference from when they start out in the morning and when they come home in the afternoon. They don't like to lug a heavy jacket home from school even if they might need one for the 15 minute walk in the morning. As long as they are healthy I just keep my mouth shut---usually. I do insist they have rain jackets in their backpacks though.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
I doubt that any kid would be out in shorts in 25 degree whether.

As a teenager, I stoped wearing those giantic coats that make you look like your 300 pounds and started wearing light clothing but just in layers. Thermals, sweater,jacket, and light coat.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM

556 posts, read 798,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Curious View Post
I always get a kick out of watching the kids ages 10-18 stand at the bus stop near our home. It is 25 degrees and windy in the morning in January and they are wearing short pants and a tee shirt. At most they are wearing a sweat shirt and jeans but only if it is just super cold.

I think the schools should contact protective services and report the parents for not parenting. Why would anyone allow their kids to stand around in below freezing weather in short pants and tee shirts in mid January? Parents: What's the story with kids and coats?
10-18? Call cps? Lol that's priceless! You really think the time of cps should be wasted on kids that have coats and choose not to wear them?

Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
After a few cold mornings, my daughter has figured out all by her little self that it's a good idea to check the weather before walking out the door in the morning.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I doubt that any kid would be out in shorts in 25 degree whether.

As a teenager, I stoped wearing those giantic coats that make you look like your 300 pounds and started wearing light clothing but just in layers. Thermals, sweater,jacket, and light coat.
You would lose that bet. Here in the south, kids more often than not will put up with cold knees in the morning, because experience tells them it won't be nearly as brutal by noon.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It may be cold at the bus stops, but it is usually roasting hot in the classrooms. I never sweat the small stuff with my kids, and what they chose to wear (as long as it met the dress code), was indeed considered "small stuff".
That's exactly why my son dressed the way he did. And he shared a small locker with someone. No room for coats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You would lose that bet. Here in the south, kids more often than not will put up with cold knees in the morning, because experience tells them it won't be nearly as brutal by noon.
Even here in Colorado he'd lose that bet......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting