Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times

Advertisements

I think by the time you're ten you get to decide what kind of idiot you want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I had a rant yesterday over coats. Both girls got long coats with hoods from Lands End for christmas . They are mid calf for extra protection. Granted we don't have much cold weather here in NC but when we do I want them protected. It was 19 early a.m. and they knew it was cold cause they both walk the 2 dogs around 6:15 when DH is out of town. When one chose not to wear the new long coat and walked to the car (they walk half way to school) and only had t shirt, sweatshirt and light weight knit jacket, I lost it. But I refused to go back. Then I watched as they walked to school and the other one had her long coat on but it was not buttoned---WTF? lungs, chest, throat directly in the harsh wind. these are 10 yo girls with good brains. Why don't they stop to think they can protect themselves from cold?

Today both girls had on long coats all the way closed in the front. I praised them and I know they only did that to please me and not because they might get cold. mommie rants at 7 a.m. are no fun for any of us.

And don't get me started on teaching them they have to get their hair completely dry every morning before they go to school in cold weather.
I picked my son up from school on Tuesday, which was the beginning of the cold snap here. He was hatless and gloveless and cold to the point of tears when he got in the car. He thought he lost them and was upset about that too, because the day before I had scolded him about wearing them. They were in his backpack.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
My kids do not like to wear hats at all, but these last few days they have been really good about wearing them.
MY youngest does come out of school looking as though she is completely a mess! Coat hanging from 1 shoulder, not zipped of course & hat in one of her hands.. It drives me crazy, but I have to say, that is how most of the kids come out of school.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
My younger son is actually better about bundling up than his older brother is. The older one could wear shorts in the snow...he has a winter coat but rarely wears it (when he does it's usually at my urging).

Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Someone earlier said that school indoors is roaring hot, and around here I know that is true. My son usually wears layers under a coat, and at the end of the day he will come charging outside in his white undershirt with his jacket flapping open.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
For the OP, do you have kids? If so, you wouldn't have written your post.

Kids simply refuse to wear coats. At most, my teens might wear a hoodie, and shorts, in 30 degree weather! Ok, they're 15 & 16, old enough to decide for themselves. I do buy them coats, long pants, sweaters, gloves, etc, and make sure to keep the recepits and pictures of the items, just in case a social worker should chose to show up! Just let them know the kids have been provided for, they simply refuse to wear the items.

And the thing about wet hair, my dd15 goes to bed with wet hair, and sleeps right in front of an open window. I've already told her, if she gets sick, she goes to school anyways, and I don't buy any "comfy" meds, like cough syrup, etc. Doctors tell you none of that cures or lessens a cold, it just makes one comfortable.

Part of it is they keep schools so damned hot inside, I can hardly blame the kids for wanting to wear shorts. But wear a coat walking home! They are hardly outside long enough to feel the cold, anyways! they go from a heated car/bus to a heated building, they don't know what cold feels like. All we as parents can do is provide, we can't chase after a teen---almost adult to button them up!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
I buy my school-age kids, ages 11 and 13, good quality coats, hats, snow pants, boots and accessories. It can get as cold as 30 below here in Northern Vermont during the winter months so they need to be prepared.

This week the morning temperatures ranged from minus 5 to minus 21. My 13 year old refused to wear her hat. I can't wrestle her to the ground to put it on her, especially since she's taller than me. As long as I supply what they need to stay warm, I feel that I've fulfilled my duty as a mother.

The school started a new policy this year where the students all take a 20-minute morning walk around the campus and there have been days when I've driven by and seen everything from kids bundled like snowmen to kids wearing jackets with shorts.

My three year old knows that she need to bundle up to go outside so she complies fairly easily though getting her to keep her mittens on can be a struggle.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 PM

556 posts, read 798,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
For the OP, do you have kids? If so, you wouldn't have written your post.

Kids simply refuse to wear coats. At most, my teens might wear a hoodie, and shorts, in 30 degree weather! Ok, they're 15 & 16, old enough to decide for themselves. I do buy them coats, long pants, sweaters, gloves, etc, and make sure to keep the recepits and pictures of the items, just in case a social worker should chose to show up! Just let them know the kids have been provided for, they simply refuse to wear the items.

And the thing about wet hair, my dd15 goes to bed with wet hair, and sleeps right in front of an open window. I've already told her, if she gets sick, she goes to school anyways, and I don't buy any "comfy" meds, like cough syrup, etc. Doctors tell you none of that cures or lessens a cold, it just makes one comfortable.

Part of it is they keep schools so damned hot inside, I can hardly blame the kids for wanting to wear shorts. But wear a coat walking home! They are hardly outside long enough to feel the cold, anyways! they go from a heated car/bus to a heated building, they don't know what cold feels like. All we as parents can do is provide, we can't chase after a teen---almost adult to button them up!
More examples of crazy.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
More examples of crazy.
What's crazy---that I can't force a teen who's bigger than me to dress for the weather---you know, I think YOU"RE the crazy! Do you actually know anything about parenting or do you just criticize others?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 AM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
My mom used to teach 9 and 10 year olds. Almost all of them came to school with decent coats. Almost all of them refused to wear the coats for recess and lunch no matter how cold it was outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting