Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I'm not saying the original post is a good example of this (actually, it's probably an example of not really understanding those differences, but realizing that they are there), but the fact is that boys and girls do learn very differently. There is a huge movement that is finally recognizing this fact and institutional schools which are primarily designed to teach girls (mostly because the majority of teachers are girls and don't understand the way boys learn) are now branching out into well researched philosophies of how boys learn. It's slow going. Most schools have not applied this research, mostly because it is somewhat difficult to apply teaching the male brain in a classroom environment.

Abigail Norfleet James is a leading researcher in the area of differentiated learning. She has written several books, two entitled "Teaching the Female Brain" and "Teaching the Male Brain." These books are fascinating because they relate information that had previously been understood as a steroetype but now we have research that helps us understand why some of those stereotypes are true and should be handled differently in the classroom.

For example, did you know that the frontal lobe of boys brains are not fully developed until age 26? Literally, the tissue in the brain has not grown yet, and so when boys party in college (too much drinking and drugs) it permanently affects their intellect because the tissue does not develop properly. Also, the left side of the boys brain (which is linked to language development) develops later than boys than in girls, which is why boys are often later readers than girls.

So a good educator who was aware of this reading difference would be much more relaxed in teaching reading to a young boy, understanding that he may not be developmentally ready yet, and following his cues. I have three boys of my own. Two of them were much later readers. Had they been in school, they would have been labeled with a learning disability, most likely. But because they were home schooling I could differentiate their learning (and individualize it). They are both reading well above average now, they just started later.

My daughter, typical of girls, was reading well before Kindergarten.
Ya, I'm aware. I have boys. You missed the point. The OP told his son that reading in bed is effeminate. Possibly the silliest think I've ever read here, and that's really saying something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Also, help me out here ladies. Lots of you object angrily to my asserting that studying in bed is an effeminate habit. I'd like to know where this is coming from. There could be several motives ...

1. You don't believe in the concept of effeminacy because you believe in total equality of the sexes.

2. You do believe in the concept of effeminacy, but you believe it's always a good thing in either sex.

3. You do believe in the concept of effeminacy, but you don't believe it matters one way or the other.

4. You do believe in the concept of effeminacy, but you don't believe studying in bed is effeminate.

Which is it?
3 and 4

Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times
OP lighten up just a little bit. I don't spend 20 hours a day in my bed. I do other thing with my life. Studying in bed is not "the devil".

Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
OP lighten up just a little bit. I don't spend 20 hours a day in my bed. I do other thing with my life. Studying in bed is not "the devil".
I think he's more concerned that it's effeminate. And that, in boys, acceptance of an (apparently) effeminate trait, might imply acceptance of other effeminate traits....which is just a step or two away from accepting homosexuality. So it (any overtly effeminate traits engaged in by male family members) must surely be nipped in the bud.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think he's more concerned that it's effeminate. And that, in boys, acceptance of an (apparently) effeminate trait, might imply acceptance of other effeminate traits....which is just a step or two away from accepting homosexuality. So it (any overtly effeminate traits engaged in by male family members) must surely be nipped in the bud.
Lol. The way he described it is effeminate (the whole, "makes me wanna bring them hot tea and maybe a kitten) it's just his opinion of it. I don't believe reading in bed is effeminate, but that's just me.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,248,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

You're just a tyrant!
Quote:
Ah, this is what I live for.
No doubt.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
For the record I don't believe anything WP says, ever.

Classic bait / troll posts designed to make people think s/he is slightly insane.
Hahahaha...........

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
For some reason, I was picturing a beet farm ...

Is his last name "Schrute?" lol

I thought he had goats that they milked, making cheese and stuff (mentioned in some other thread).

Funny that goat and milking chores weren't listed in his earlier post where he gave a pretty specific accounting of his kids' days.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Obviously, "all day" was hyperbole (<-- click the link). I think it was happening 1-4 hours per day, varying from day to day and child to child.

Yes, it bothered me enough to mention it, so I mentioned it. It's not the end of the world, but we're not aiming for mediocrity here. I'm not worried about my boys being effeminate, but about developing effeminate habits that won't serve them well in life - even small habits known to no one but themselves. I still don't understand what you think is inconsistent about this.
Maybe your son is gay.

That wouldn't matter, would it? You would still love him and support him, wouldn't you?

And you would welcome his partner/husband into your home, just as you would if he brought home a girl, wouldn't you?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Horrors.

I'm hurt.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting