Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times

Advertisements

5? No way. Maybe if he were 14 or so, and accompanied by parents, it might be fine. That's pushing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,900 times
I am VERY old and still have not fully recovered from Bambi. Spent years as a young child so afraid my mother would die.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you look on IMDB, there's a parent's guide that describes exactly what's seen in the movie, as far as content that kids might not be old enough for. I usually check that if there's a movie that my kids want to see badly. Here's the one for Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013) - Parents Guide (which my 10 year old really wants to see, but isn't going to)
Good advice. Seriously, anyone else remember the 80's...when the movie Gremlin's came out and all the parents were horrified, because it had been promoted to be a kids movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeDff_svSd8
http://www.fandango.com/movie-traile...-trailer/2703/
Always do your homework re: movies....Please put your children first, you only get one chance to do it right...Err on the side of caution.

Last edited by JanND; 01-27-2013 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: links

Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,286 times
No way would I take a five-year old to an R rated move, nor would I rent one to watch while they were awake.

A short story: I remember renting 'Jurassic Park' (to watch myself) when my son was about six or seven years old. (I don't even think that movie was R rated!) I watched it after he went to school. But when he arrived home, he saw the box and because he was crazy about dinosaurs back then, he begged me to let him watch it. Well---because he was a pretty cunning lad and knew how to operate the VCR, he watched it with his Dad when I was not home. His Dad wasn't as strict as I about movies. He loved every minute of it, especially the scary bits! My son is now 23, a film school grad, and guess what his favorite genre of movie is? Yep---horror.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
So glad to see the responses on this board are 100% - don't do it!

I loved scary movies when my son was little; we would just wait until he went to bed to watch something scary on DVD. I would never have taken him to an r rated movie OR let him watch one at that age.

He's 17 now so I really don't have to agonize over it any more!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM

511 posts, read 854,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
They won't let the 5yo in the theater. I might have my 2 month old present. But 5? No.
Personally whether or not they let them in is only part of the issue as is the rating. That's all bad enough but these are adult rated movies and therefore adults go to get AWAY from children and their disturbances and have a break so the reasons not to go are numerous and blindingly obvious to anyone with common sense and consideration for others besides themselves..

Any parent who HAS to go to a movie and can't wait until they have proper supervision to safely leave their children home is self centered beyond belief.. JFYI my children are 8 & 9 and due to our previous situation of being out of country with no one trustworthy and reliable enough available to watch our children I've never even had a date with my wife since their birth let alone seen a movie together (which I guess could be the same thing).

Now I'm back here but since my wife is still out of country I NEVER get any time to do those things, except now they're in school where before we home schooled them out of necessity but I have other things to do during the day so I think it's time for you to grow up OP, you have children now, movies are way at the bottom of the priority list..

Bottom line everyone please leave your children home for their sake and the sake of others around you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting