Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
When you add a Prius into the mix, some type of line has been crossed. It is difficult for me, or for my teenaged son to contain ourselves when we see such a demented and puny vehicle. Like naormal men all over, my son and I refer muscle cars. A nice "69 Roadrunner or GTX. Prius free zone here.
Good to know I'm not the only one that makes fun of Priuses...LOL. Wifey wants one so bad and I won't let her because that means one day she's going to have to take my car and I'm going to be stuck with having to drive hers, can't do that, too much swag over here to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
How did I know before finishing this that the friend was gonna be black? I literally said to myself, "watch the kid be black..." People rarely have a real prob with "diversity," in America at least, until it involves a black person.

Now, you say you raised your kid to be "multi-cultural" so why would he even need to mention that his friend was black? I can't see why this is even a post unless you're just not communicating it well.
Oh I don't know...hmm are you psychic? He could have been East Indian, Punjab, Samoan or half Japanese. Not getting why you are so annoyed.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM

556 posts, read 797,973 times
What is racist?

Is it preferring to spend your time with people of your own race?

Is it anyone that uses the word nig ger ever?

Is it someone that dislikes people only because of their race?

Is it someone that hurts others, verbally/physically/financially just because oftheir race?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,108 times
Yes, people should not mingle with "others".

Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Oh I don't know...hmm are you psychic? He could have been East Indian, Punjab, Samoan or half Japanese. Not getting why you are so annoyed.
My bad, my bad. Misread your post. Totally feeling you now.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
In high school, my white daughter's best friend was latino. My white granddaughter is dating a Native American and most likely will marry him. My white son's best friend all his life is Choctaw.

My son dated a girl from Korea. She would get upset when his dog would be on his lap. Seems like it was because a dog shouldn't be held dear, but, I may be mistaken. She was very attractive. I've no idea what ended their time together, but, their relationship was fine with me.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,183 times
We live in NJ, and as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, it's pretty diverse here. But a strange story..

My one daughter started dating an Indian, from a nearby town. We had no issues, he was a nice kid. They went to a mall in his town one day, she came home quite upset.. she said a lot of older indians gave her dirty looks. I really did not have an answer for her, but mentioned it to a coworker, who told me that some indians do not their own dating other races. Which is pretty sad, since this is NJ and it is 2013. It's going to happen, get over it.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,397,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Kids are color blind. Wouldn't be nice if we could all follow in their little foot steps?
So true. It would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
So, why is only white on black racism usually counted? It's works the other way, too.
I think because historically blacks were targeted almost exclusively. Not that other ethnicities weren't, just that in America, there has always been a stronger tension between the two - e.g. slaves only being of African decent in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee78 View Post
I would not be friends with a parent who discouraged their kids from hanging out with different races or sexual preferences.
Totally agree. Racism is taught and children learn from others just as they do from parents.

My parents always had a diverse group of friends while I was growing up. So did I and my siblings. This has never changed. I do know people who self-segregate though - I avoid them like the plague.

I think it benefits us all when we expose ourselves to other ethnicities and cultures. It helps to open minds and dispel stereotypes. Outside of my neighborhood and home, once I entered middle school, I got slack for having white friends, sometimes, for what they called "acting white." Ridiculous!
Now I realize it was due to my parent's SES and that we had material things they thought only white people could have. Again, I avoided them then as I do now.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,191,689 times
I do think it is less of a problem than it used to be and for most parts of the country is a non-issue. No parent should prevent their child from having a friend of a different race. It is racism, pure and simple.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Yes, people should not mingle with "others".
and this post is a perfect example of how it's the parents who influence the children. Thanks to your warped thinking, your children are going to inherit like thoughts. It's pretty sad, actually, despite your protests to the contrary. I pity them, because chances are they will be surrounded by "others" their entire lives and will have to interact with them at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting