Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times

Advertisements

Well, your post is at its heart condensending. it speaks of a lack of respect and understanding, which isn't quite right. Then you go about how everyone thinks your a bad guy because your an a##hole

I agree with their assessment.

Your wrong.

Your wrong because you think homosexuality is such a bad thing, your wrong because you admit to your daughter you don't love her so much that you can say hell to some outdated belief system, your wrong . .wrong. . wrong

The only good news here, hopefully people like you will be off this planet (except in Afghanistan I suppose) in 30 years and everyone else can live a non-judgmental life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I once again reminded her that her question is hypothetical, and its not like I said I would disown her, but that did not seem to matter. Why do (some) women ruin a perfectly good evening at home over what if questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Why do (some) women ruin a perfectly good evening at home over what if questions?
You ruined it for yourself SKP440, when you didn't just give her the standard"I will love you no matter what" answer...you could have discussed it later with your wife if you'd wanted to, though you can bet they would both have been very happy with the "standard". Maybe you should just stick to that from now on, for your own peace of mind, if nothing else.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM

509 posts, read 587,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
It is in a womens genes to ask provacative questions - she knew perfectly well the question would make you mad.

Most wifes do this. If the movie is about a husband fooling around with a 17 year old, a husband having sex with a watermelon, a husband doing crack-cocaine, you will no matter what get the "what if`s" !!

There is something in their lifes that connects their own personal lifes to what they see on TV - they have problems distancing themselves from the situation in the plot on the movie.

I personally don`t watch anything on TV with my wife because of this...but the only way to put an end to it is by answering: "Oh, yes, of course dear" - that throws her off, since she will be uncertain that you mean it...
I just had to say your wife is one lucky, lucky lady.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
What do you mean? Of course we are in touch with our feelings - we are just more straight forward.
We can`t stand the BS and game playing. We hate agendas.

We ask of some degree of honesty - not all these "what if`s".
I think some men are more into speculation than others. The greatest philosophers tended to be men, so they are capable of deep thought. I also think it's good for couples to have such discussions every now and then because they get to know each other better.

I would never ask my husband such a question in front of the kid, though. That appears as though you are setting him up to look uncaring in front of his child. That was, at the very least, a tactless move on her part.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
No, no, this is not what is happening. "Brawn" is not the only way masculinity is exercised, or even the most important way. Masculine ways of thinking, working, playing, living and being have also been pushed to the margins by feminism. The most salient example is the death of reason in our society. The discipline of reason is a masculine activity (and not beyond the reach of women), but our society is now entirely enslaved to emotion and sentiment. Which are important, too, don't get me wrong - but they ought to be subordinate to reason.

It's true that our modern economy depends entirely too much on emotion and sentiment (i.e., advertising, marketing, sales) which, in turn, contribute to the erosion of masculine character traits. But it certainly isn't the whole story.

I realize this is getting pretty far away from the topic. Back to the OP, carry on.
I don't know that this is off topic. We are discussing the underpinnings of the scenario that we are presented with.

I see your point and to a degree I might even agree with you. However, more and more women are getting a firm education and working in corporations. As such, decision making is backed up by facts and is done pretty much without emotions coming into play. Women are making some of those decisions. Women are now physicians and scientists. I don't see a lot of emotion interfering with facts in those professions.

So to me the actual workings of our society gleans women with thought processes that are just as disciplined and organized as those of their male counterparts.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Sometimes we men forget that to have a happy life we need to have a happy wife. I have made that mistake before and probably will again. The key is to forget that we are "right" and remember that our wives are never wrong, even when they are wrong. Just set your own ideas aside and make sure you can do what ever you can to make your wife happy.

Like the op, I hate Lifetime or what I like to call "The issue of the week Network" I would prefer to watch a show where I can learn something or watch something get built, like a car or a house. My wife prefers a different kind of show and I will watch with her.
Well, I'm a woman and the last time I watched Lifetime was decades ago. It is not because it is emotional, but it tends to just deal with life on a superficial level. It is predictable. It makes the characters into shallow stereotypes. It insults intelligence.

I also think, in any marriage, there must be compromise and at times all you can hope for is that you and your mate can see the other's point of view, where you are coming from. Hopefully, all the collisions of your relationship are in minor areas which you can both overlook.

When my husband or I are wrong, we admit it and do things differently next time. There is none of this looking down on the other as being somehow less of a person and not being able to be appealed to through logic. If one of us is hurt or perplexed, we don't sulk, we speak up and resolve the issue right then and there. We respect each other.

We have the same level of education. Maybe that helps.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
That's my point - men deal in things that are real and now. Women deal in things that are hypothetical and imaginary and maybe and what if. We do it all the time. It's not BS or game playing, it's how we think. So you think women are playing games and women think you are an insensitive jerk. We just think differently.
I am not sure about that. People of either sex in business or in the armed forces are certainly dealing with both the here and now and they are also trained to look at hypotheticals, the 'what if' questions.

I keep thinking there is a difference in the level of education of the people we are discussing.

Some people don't like to think of their kids being gay and reject the mere idea and everything about it, but if their child is gay and tells them about it, they still love the child and learn to be accepting. These, for some, are emotionally charged questions like asking if you could kill someone who is trying to rob you. Some people could not pull that trigger. Sometimes you never know the answers to such things until and only if the case presents itself.

Last edited by goldengrain; 04-12-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
If gay were genetic and could be detected could parents then choose to abort a gay embryo?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If gay were genetic and could be detected could parents then choose to abort a gay embryo?
Why not? It's their own business. Same if clueless were detected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting