Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,590 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, for those who have/have had kids between the ages of 8 and 11 do they take the initiative to shower or bathe as they should or do you have to remind them or push them to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,732 times
Nope. Our 10 year old daughter has to be told to do it and even then she sometimes tries to get away without washing her hair. Then she told someone at school that she only bathed once a week, said we only "reminded her" once a week!

But to clarify, she has some issues (emotional/psychological). So that might be part of it.

Neither of the older two did it on their own at that age either (both boys). In fact, the 15 year old boy has to be pushed still, unless he has some social event involving a girl he is interested in. But just for school? He'd be content to wear the same clothes all week and only shower when he got "itchy". Gross huh? But he washes his face faithfully morning and night without reminders... he is fighting some skin issues. And he is also the only boy I've ever known to wash his hands religiously after every bathroom break, since he was very small. Isn't it funny how some hygiene is important to them and some is not?

My 20 year old son didn't really get good about the hygiene without prompting until he was sixteen or so. He has always been rather fanatical about dental hygiene though, and flosses more than any one in the house, and was that way even when he was a stinky 14 year old.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
8-11, too old to enjoy splashing in the tub like 'little kids,' and not really old enough to understand or appreciate the social necessity of good grooming. I think it's fairly common for a lot of kids in that age range to not care much about personal hygiene.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,984 times
Ages 10 nod 13 here. If they could get away with it, probably no. We've made it a habit and rarely deviate from the schedule so it is a routine. As my daughter got older though, she is more into looking good...hair, shaving so it isn't as much of a struggle however for some reason, they never throw their underwear into the wash...yuck.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Mine are 10 and 12, and would be quite happy to never bathe. We do have a daily routine including a shower, but any deviation, and that's the first thing they want to skip. It's gross.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,247 times
Having a pool helps as it is easier to get them to swim than to bathe. Friends I know with kids that age tend to bathe with the kids rather than send them off to do it themselves as at least then one can make sure they do it. Thankfully my own kid is much younger and so far I just take her in whenever I am having one myself and so far she has no objections to bath time.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Mine are 10 and 12, and would be quite happy to never bathe. We do have a daily routine including a shower, but any deviation, and that's the first thing they want to skip. It's gross.
Yeah, the showers are the first thing to do too if there is any leeway, even my daughter. Although if my son gets really tired, sometimes he asks to take a bath and just loves sitting there quietly playing.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 AM

845 posts, read 1,348,614 times
My daughter is 50/50. I do have to make sure she takes bathes every 1-2 days but she does ask me 1-2 times a week to take one. Weekends are harder though, she doesn't want to mess up the chance of doing nothing.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
At that age they needed reminding. They didn't really mind taking a shower but it didn't cross their mind that they should do it. We had to remind them. Playing sports helped as they wanted to shower after practice. But if they didn't have practice they would bathe only when we reminded them. Now that they are older (13, 16,19) they bathe without being reminded. After all girls do not like smelly guys.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:53 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,243 times
9.5 years and have to remind her everyday to do shower. Then I have to check her hair and sometimes send her back in. She's also developed this habit of leaving the bathroom door open while she showers. This has been going on for about 6 mos. Every single night I have to yell to her to get out of the shower and shut the bathroom door (I figure if I make her do it often enough she'll eventually do it without being told).

Up until 3 weeks ago I had a HORRIBLE time getting her to brush her teeth. Then she went to the dentist and had 6 cavities and the dentist got on her case about good oral hygiene. Granted mom's been doing it for months, but since the dentists she always remembers to brush, floss, and use mouth wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting