Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times

Advertisements

Tel him it's rehab or the curb. Rehab would also get him credit w/ his case. He might even begin to get it when he sobers up. I don't care what people say...substances change your brain. You have to have a measure of sobriety to start thinking clearly. And, they are all gateway substances. Don't kid.
Aren't there court ordered UA's...Here people are on 24/7 You have got to report to the blood test folks w/in 2 hours, after they randomly call you...and it better be clean or you are off to the pokey. But, seriously, if you are paying for a phone, cut it off.
It is hard to toss a kid out, it is hard to live w/ this type situation. Its too bad he isn't on bond w/ a bondsman.
And, some kids need more help with job searches. Drive him around looking...Give him some help. He'll either find a job eventually, or you will at least know you did everything you could if he doesn't stop the behaviors.

Last edited by JanND; 02-14-2013 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: edit text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Ok I'll bite, is he going to sign the lease? Let's see, he most likely does not have a credit score, and he does not have a job either so an apartment cannot base his eligibility for an apartment on his income. His parents will have to sign or co-sign which means they are entering into a contract agreeing that if their son does not pay the rent, they will deal with the cost, and if they do not deal with the cost then their credit score is on the chopping block. Do you get it now?
The parents are most certainly *not* going to have to co-sign a lease for their delinquent son.

His choice is he lives at home under their rules or he needs to figure out other living arrangements. His choice.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
This is a no brainer. Your son is an adult and engaging in illegal activity while YOU are supporting him. When he's out slangin' his drugs, take all of his stuff, move it outside on the lawn and change the locks on the door. I might leave a note saying, "If and when you stop dealing drugs, we might be able tore-establish a relationship." Then again, I might not even leave a note.

YOU are enabling this behavior. You're supporting a lazy son who won't even work or attend college. You know he sells drugs but still support. In my view, your enabling of him is almost as criminal as his activity. Man up and toss him out of your house. PERIOD.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Ok I'll bite, is he going to sign the lease? Let's see, he most likely does not have a credit score, and he does not have a job either so an apartment cannot base his eligibility for an apartment on his income. His parents will have to sign or co-sign which means they are entering into a contract agreeing that if their son does not pay the rent, they will deal with the cost, and if they do not deal with the cost then their credit score is on the chopping block. Do you get it now?
So don't co-sign. Next!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
To me, the attitude that a few expressed is that of an enabler: "Well, he isn't a drug dealer, he is selling a little to his friends to support his habit." Seriously people, selling makes him a dealer and what he is selling is drugs, illegal drugs. I would not have paid the $500.00 and my son would have known better than to call home and/or ask for it since we had a talk about it. You need to let your kids know what will happen in advance. Everything I said was always a "promise" and my child knew that I met what I said because I always followed through on the good and on the bad.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
To me, the attitude that a few expressed is that of an enabler: "Well, he isn't a drug dealer, he is selling a little to his friends to support his habit." Seriously people, selling makes him a dealer and what he is selling is drugs, illegal drugs. I would not have paid the $500.00 and my son would have known better than to call home and/or ask for it since we had a talk about it. You need to let your kids know what will happen in advance. Everything I said was always a "promise" and my child knew that I met what I said because I always followed through on the good and on the bad.
LOL true dat.

When my son got arrested for drug paraphernalia at age 18, he didn't even call me! The POLICE DEPARTMENT called me. When I asked him why he didn't call to ask me to bail him out, he told me, "You always said that if we actually were arrested for something we really did do, don't bother calling and asking you to bail us out. So I knew better than to call."

Ironically, I was really proud of him at that moment.

He spent four days in jail. It was a real turning point in his life. For the better.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Go to your local library and find a copy of this book: Tough Love (Revised Edition): How Parents Can Deal with Drug Abuse.

If they don't have it, ask them to order it/get it in for you.

Most libraries will do just that; it won't cost you a dime to get and read it.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So don't co-sign. Next!

If the parents have to pay a few months for his rent then they will have to duh??

Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
If the parents have to pay a few months for his rent then they will have to duh??
Uhm... no they don't duh??

I've never met a landlord or property management company that would "sorry we won't take your check on our tenant's behalf because you're not on the lease!"

Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
No, parents don't have to get him an apartment, give him money, co-sign a lease, etc. That's just more enabling.

Put his stuff outside the front door with a list of local shelters, rehabs, church missions, etc. pinned to it.
He won't starve, there are places for help.

It's then his choice to go get help, get a job and save up the money for a place of his own. Or he can go stay with his druggie friends. He's an adult- his choice .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting