Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times

Advertisements

Wow.. I can't get past the fact that the teacher pointed out that your daughter was bossy.

EXCUSE ME? You want to discuss some boys bullying your child, and the teacher wants to point out that your child is bossy? I'd be nuts right about now.

I'd be in the school, demanding a sitdown with the teacher and the principal WILL be present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
"boys are stupid at this age and are doing it because they like her"!!! I disagree 10000% I don't think these are words that you say to anyone, let alone someone "you like".
I agree with you. It is not a boy/girl thing in 2nd grade. Maybe if it were middle school but not 2nd grade.

If I were you I would put my concerns in writing to the teacher and ask for her help. See what happens from there. Schools tend to take things more seriously if the request is in writing. I had a similar problem with my son when he was in 6th grade. I emailed his teachers and the problem ended within a week. Nobody has to know that you intervened. You can do it quietly. If the problem does not end then you need to escalate to the principal and school board. However, I would try to enlist the teacher's help first.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
If it were 5th grade, it might be a boy/girl thing. Not 2nd grade. It's bullying. The teacher should have addressed this by now and it should not have been allowed to continue this long. You must not let it drop. Also, you should ensure that she will not be in the same class with any of those boys next year. And don't email - go in and have a meeting with the teacher, and if that doesn't solve ASAP then go in - do not email - the principal and insist on a meeting with both of them. Call it what it is - bullying - and don't let them intimidate you into dropping it.
I have to disagree with the no email advice. The OP MUST put her concerns in writing. She can ask for a face to face meeting but having her concerns documented in writing will help her if she needs to escalate to the school board. I agree that the OP should call it bullying in her written communication.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I did tell the teacher, and her answer was that my daughter was "bossy".....HUH? So that "justifies" name calling? I don't think so. JMO.
You MUST start documenting what happens on a daily basis and start to write to the teacher. Use the word bullying in every single communication. Ask for a face to face meeting. Document what happens in the face to face meetings. If you do not get a resolution escalate to the principal/school board. You cannot let this drop.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
also you might warn your daughter that children can be cruel and they will seek to find something to "get your goat" and if you let them, they win.

maybe role play a little to help her find a way to cope with these sorts of people she will run into during life.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,313 times
Quote:
Thoughts? I am don't think this is "OK"...at any level and already emailed her teacher...however my hubby tells her that "boys are stupid at this age and are doing it because they like her"!!! I disagree 10000%
I don't think these are words that you say to anyone, let alone someone "you like".
I don't think your hubby should be telling her they say mean things because they are boys, or boys are stupid at that age. That is sexist. I also don't think she should be told that is how someone is treated when liked.

Continue trying to talk to her teachers/administration about the issues, but more importantly talk to your daughter about bullying.

As hard as it is I also see this as a major learning opportunity. Tell her that most bullies (boys & girls) are bullied themselves, & they say mean things because they:

1. They want someone else to know how bad they hurt inside.
2. They don't know better.
3. They are insecure & don't know how else to feel better about themselves.
4. That many people will side with bullies because they are afraid.

If she knows this, she will know bullying says more about them than it does about her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting