Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times

Advertisements

My 6 year old DD was really upset a couple weeks ago because her classmates were already losing their teeth and she hadn't even lost one just yet. I told her it would take time. So you can imagine how excited she was when she discovered her first loose tooth a couple days ago... Except now she's all worried it'll hurt and that she'll swallow the tooth.

What did you do when your LO lost their first tooth? Did you go with the whole Tooth Fairy scheme? What did you give? What did you do with the tooth?

Also... It came to my attention today that she... has a shark tooth. It freaked me out and I was fretting about having to set an appointment with the dentist (because OMG, this isn't normal? All I could think was "Braces!?" I was completely jolted as I don't think I've ever seen that before). My dad says its more normal than I think and that it's just the adult tooth just trying to find an easier way up. Nothing to worry about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
I'd definitely do the tooth fairy thing. It's what was done to me, what I did with my kids and what everyone else I knew did.

If your child can retrieve the tooth when it comes out, or wiggle it loose with her tongue, then put the tooth under her pillow and tell her the tooth fairy will leave her a present. In the morning the tooth will be gone to be replaced by whatever you like. I'd leave a dollar but have know others who left a little stuffed toy or even something like a matchbox car for a boy. .

If the tooth comes out and she didn't find it as it came out without her realizing it, then gap between the teeth is proof enough. Still merits a tooth fairy visit - lol

I wouldn't worry too much about the shark tooth. This is very common. It's just the permanent teeth pushing up behind the baby teeth. Sometimes it helps to loose the shallow roots of the baby tooth and push it out. If it persists for a month or more and the baby tooth won't come out, then you can see a dentist who can remove the baby tooth very easily.

Since she's just beginning to loose her baby teeth, it's too soon to worry about braces and if she has enough room in her jaw for adult teeth and they have to b aligned. Let the process go much further along

Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
My daughter lost (probably swallowed) a tooth earlier this week. She wrote a nice note to the toothfairy explaining what happened and left that under her pillow. The toothfairy accepted the note and left a couple of dollars. The next night my daughter left a thank you note.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Shark teeth are perfectly normal.

I would reconsider putting teeth under the pillow. When thet get a little older, the Tooth Fairy covert action gets complicated. I found little tooth fairy bags that hang on the outside of the bedroom door on the handle. MUCH less risk of the child catching the Tooth Fairy in the act.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Shark teeth are perfectly normal.

I would reconsider putting teeth under the pillow. When thet get a little older, the Tooth Fairy covert action gets complicated. I found little tooth fairy bags that hang on the outside of the bedroom door on the handle. MUCH less risk of the child catching the Tooth Fairy in the act.
^^^^ I always played the role of the tooth fairy and became a pro at retrieving teeth from under the pillow Well I left the job up to my husband the last time, yes let me stress LAST. I wasnt feeling good and he said he would get the tooth and leave the tooth fairy money. Well my husband wasn't as skilled and while fishing the tooth out from under the pillow, my son woke up. "what are you doing dad?" So that is when my son found out there was no tooth fairy. He was really upset with us. Then he exclaimed, "GREAT, next thing you will tell me is there is no Santa Claus!"

Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
My daughter is 6 and hasn't lost any teeth yet, and none are even loose yet. She has a book about traditions around the world for what people do when they lose teeth, and I told her she could choose what she wants to do when the time comes. At the moment, she says she would like to keep all of her baby teeth in a little souvenir box.

Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World: Selby Beeler, G. Brian Karas: 9780618152384: Amazon.com: Books

Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I bought a little pillow with a little pocket in it. It sits on the dresser since my older son is such a light sleeper. The tooth fairy gives $1 per tooth.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My daughter is 6 and hasn't lost any teeth yet, and none are even loose yet. She has a book about traditions around the world for what people do when they lose teeth, and I told her she could choose what she wants to do when the time comes. At the moment, she says she would like to keep all of her baby teeth in a little souvenir box.

Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World: Selby Beeler, G. Brian Karas: 9780618152384: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks for the link which even allows for reading the pages. Awesome! Fascinating view to other cultures.

Thanks all!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:41 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
The tooth fairy thing is fine.... They'll figure it out or hear from classmates probably in late 1st grade or 2nd grade that it's not for real.

The "shark tooth" thing is fine. It will work itself out. DO NOT let a dentist talk you into braces for a 6 or 7 year old! The only thing they'll be straightening is the money straight from your pocket into theirs!!!!

Kids should not have braces until they're about 12 or 13 years old. Before that, it should only be if there is some major, major issue. My daughter's orthodontist told me how some dentists will convince parents of the need for "pre-braces" (no such thing) or "starter braces" (no such thing) and then get the parents to get the full braces at 12 or 13. He said all that does is make the parents pay double what they would have paid to begin with. (he explained this all to me when my daughter was around 8 or 9 and I requested braces because she had some really badly crooked teeth on the side due to thumb-sucking. I also asked for a "habit breaker". he said neither are necessary. Once she's old enough for braces, the braces will break the thumb sucking habit)

Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My daughter is small for her age and didn't lose her first baby tooth until she was almost 8.

Her dentist told us that the longer baby teeth stay in the jaw developing, the stronger they are, so it wasn't a bad thing at all that her permanent teeth were coming in later.

About the shark tooth, I've never heard it described that way but it's totally normal. My older daughter had it with almost every tooth. If it becomes uncomfortable, the dentist can take out the baby tooth. It usually gets to a point where the baby tooth is basically hanging by a thread and the kid gets impatient. A gentle yank with a piece of dental floss wrapped around the baby tooth and underneath the loose parts as much as possible will solve that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting