Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
but you don't understand. FUN is so personal. Fun to my family is not going on a mechanical ride. Fun is seeing the Grand Canyon or watching a sunset over the ocean. We all love fun but define it differently.
But I think that's what everyone has said so far. Different strokes.

I'd also add that going to an amusement park is very low on my list, but the kids love it, so we go. And we also do many other things as a family, it's not about defining fun for me, but seeking out different experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times
How do you know your kids won't find going on a 'mechanical ride' a lot of fun if you've never taken them?

I'd love to hear from the children of the anti-theme-park people...I'd bet they'd like to go at least once, though maybe not with their parents.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
How do you know your kids won't find going on a 'mechanical ride' a lot of fun if you've never taken them?

I'd love to hear from the children of the anti-theme-park people...I'd bet they'd like to go at least once, though maybe not with their parents.
Interesting point. My children know that theme parks are not my favorite place to be, but I have been quite clear that they should determine for themselves what it is they enjoy. I won't impose my likes on them. And when we do go I enjoy myself because they are getting so much pleasure from the experience.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
but you don't understand. FUN is so personal. Fun to my family is not going on a mechanical ride. Fun is seeing the Grand Canyon or watching a sunset over the ocean. We all love fun but define it differently.
Did you know this before or AFTER you went to Disney? I can see a five year old getting all excited over seeing a sunset over and over.

I do understand that you didn't seem to see (or chose not to see) where I said and I'm quoting myself....
Quote:
If you don't want to take your child to Disney...then don't
If it's not your cup of tea that's fine...nobody is forcing you to go. But don't see the point of making the grand demands as to why not.

I was merely stating that I, like millions of others, went to Disney...took their children to Disney....didn't suffered any long term side affects and STILL managed to have lots of other different types of vacations.

My point was that just because you drug yourself to Disney ONE time, does not mean you can't go anyplace else.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
I love Disney. We live here now and have Florida residents passes. Shockingly, we've also watched the sunset from the beach. I've spent most of my life close to the Ocean, and I can't picture myself ever living in a state that is not on the coast . We have explored National Parks. We've Explored Gettysburg. We've cruised the Mexican Riviera and Greek Islands, We've explored Paris and the absolute natural beauty of North Wales.
It's quite easy to love Disney and still do those other things

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 02-26-2013 at 08:35 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 08:33 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Disney is a splurge, and one beyond the means of many families. Your children will suffer nothing more than disappointment if they don't get a chance to experience it. I don't think a visit is a prerequisite for a happy childhood. But, it does offer a great time to families willing to suspend reality for a couple of days, and enjoy the imagination put into the parks. Yes, the lines are long most of the year, and the counter service food is nothing I'd want to eat too often, but, it's clean, safe, and well thought out. Even many of the lines are tolerable because they offer some sort of entertainment to those waiting.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
You can also use the free Fastpass system to avoid the lines on most of the big rides..
Yes, there are a couple of times during the year that are more expensive and more crowded. I know some people have no choice but to come then and I can see how that can lead to a miserable time.
We had to go for a day during spring break this year. It was crowded and miserable and the people who stayed on site were paying peak prices for crowded parks with 2 hour waits. I can understand why people who experienced this would not be happy.
I also know some people who spend 3000 on a trip and do no research. WDW is as big as the island of Manhatten, It has 6 parks, 15 or so resorts, Golf courses, 100 or so restaurants, tons of stores, outdoor activitiesetc etc. You really do need to do some planning. Make reservations at better restaurants before you come, or yes, you will spend your trip eating crappy overpriced food. Look at how big the crowd will be, Understand that the hotels have different prices at different times of year
If you were spending thousands to go to Europe, I bet you would do some research and planning. I don't understand why some do none for Disney

Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
We all have busy lives. Even on days off my DH and I find it hard to truly be together as a family for long periods of time with the children. Works call needing our input etc. Disruptions happen. Kids activities take over on weekends.

Disney to my family is a chance to leave all that behind. To TRULY enjoy our children in an atmosphere that's conducive to doing so. They grow so fast, and if only for one week a year I can slow it all down, then I will. Those weeks are the most important weeks to me. We all can find something to do together and leave all the electronics and activities behind. We dont regret spending the money at all. Those memories are with me forever, and we will always have that.

Everyone has different priorities in life. My priority lies with saving every little bit I can to afford that one week every other year where time stops and true fun is had.

It's not for everyone. But take the time to vacation in Disney or somewhere cheaper to have family time. Great family Memories with the ones you love are priceless. It's the only thing I will have at the end.

Last edited by KH02; 02-26-2013 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM

466 posts, read 815,765 times
I never went to Disney as a child and I didn't feel like I missed out, but vacations on that scale were few and far between. I went for the first time as a senior in high school when our marching band performed there. And I've gone twice with one of my best friends during Gay Days. That was always a hoot when you could tell parents didn't realize it was Gay Days weekend. LOL And my mother being concerned ("But you're not gay. Why are you going then?) LOL

That said, I totally want to take my son and I am waiting until he is old enough to enjoy and remember it, but not too old, so probably 6. I imagine that we will only go once, so I want to make sure it counts. But honestly, planning for Disney seems so overwhelming. There are whole message boards dedicated to it. As some said upthread, it seems like a lot of work for a vacation, but I'll fall on the sword for my kid. LOL

Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
It has been years since we took my son to Disney. We did the cruise/Disney park package. It was the last week in August just before school went back. Unbelievably hot and the park employees seemed stressed. My son has never even suggested going back to Disney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting