Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM

353 posts, read 580,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
W.T.F. seriously? Thanks, but my kids are good, geeky, booksmart non sporty non popular boys, thankyouverymuch. good GRIEF.

Oh, and the discussion about rides? My 12 year old's favorite ride is the Carousel of Progress. (I told ya - geeky)
Did not mean to offend your kids, but there are some kids I met, that act that way...
I have an 11 y.o. boy he is not superficial either. Even though he has been to Disney, he enjoys country fair rides and petting zoos with goats and pigs as much as all the other rides and fun things in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
I was talking with a bunch of co-workers whose children are all older than mine the other day when the topic of Disneyworld came up. Some of them seemed to think every family has to visit Disneyworld at least once. I made it clear that I will never be taking my children to Disneyworld and my coworkers seemed to think this was odd as they had all taken their children at some point.

It seems as if a family of four is going to spend on average 5k to 10k on a trip to Disneyworld. Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous? The happiest place on earth? Not for middle class mom and dad who are footing the bill. More like the most expensive place on earth.

There are countless opportunities for family vacations at other destinations that will not only provide as much if not more family fun time but will also not cost a small fortune.

Disney world should change their name to ripoff world. There, I said it.

What do you think.
if you can afford it, it's a nice vacation. If you can't, it's too much stress. No you don't HAVE TO GO. I'd be more inclined to put things like the grand canyon on my have to vacation list.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
Awwww...you sound like such a fun dad. Chernobyl sounds like a perfect getaway for you.

And yes he did know who Mickey was... he was squealing his name as he crawled over to him. There are many things that make many people happy. Why do you care if Disney makes people happy? My children also love the beach and that makes them very happy as well. Got a problem with that too? Maybe you can find a nice beach in Russia with some nuclear reactors close by that will make for some great family photos.

You did a great job at "not trying to belittle" by the way.
Am I the only one that doubts that a ten month would be squealing "Mickey" and actually know what was going on. I guess if your ten month old did nothing but watch disney movies with mickey mouse in them for 10 hours a day then there might have been a very slim chance of him recognizing the mickey mouse character on a very basic level. Short of that ten month olds are not developed enough to speak and acknowledge their environment in any meaningful way.

But to answer your question I don't care that Disney makes me happy. Your family, your money. Do whatever you want. I just think it's ridiculous that some have the notion that every family has to go to Disney and that it's somehow this sublimely enjoyable family nirvana.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Am I the only one that doubts that a ten month would be squealing "Mickey" and actually know what was going on. I guess if your ten month old did nothing but watch disney movies with mickey mouse in them for 10 hours a day then there might have been a very slim chance of him recognizing the mickey mouse character on a very basic level. Short of that ten month olds are not developed enough to speak and acknowledge their environment in any meaningful way.

But to answer your question I don't care that Disney makes me happy. Your family, your money. Do whatever you want. I just think it's ridiculous that some have the notion that every family has to go to Disney and that it's somehow this sublimely enjoyable family nirvana.

I havevto say I have never actually heard the "everyone MUST do Disney" mantra.....other than via secondhand heresay. Anyone who honestly says that to someone is just as wrong as those people who look down their noses and judge those who claim that somehow enjoying Disney is an indication of lower entertainment standards and intelligence.

I do think that it's interesting when people make declarations of what they will "never" do as a parent.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Unless maybe you are at the World Showcase with people who have decided to drink their way around the countries. Beer and Wine in every country. I prefer to do the chocolate around the World Showcase tour

ETA, aside of the free dining packages they offer in the fall I think you are always better off booking the trip piecemeal. Have one member of the family buy an annual pass. Being an annual passholder you get up to 40% discounts booking rooms. You will pay 200 more for the pass, but if you stay moderate or deluxe it will save you a ton. It also gives you 10% off in most shops. It also lets you buy a Tables in Wonderland card card. It costs $75 but gives you 20% off on sit down meals. This only saves money if you do a lot of sit down meals.. And if you want to go back in a year, book 1 week earlier than you do the first year and you won't have to buy a ticket for yourself
I never thought of the Drink Around the World Showcase, thanks for the tip, should make my trip more enjoyable next time

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is amazing to see how many people think a trip to Disney is imperative. A "must" have experience. Really interesting. I just don't get it. Yes, I have been to Disney, a place that eats money. Yes, my kids went there years ago, and that was when we lived in Florida. We got resident passes. But I would not have gone into debt for six round trip plane tickets, car rental, hotel, Disney...just for the "experience".

My kids are different...they did request ski vacations...and loved it. And going on float trips, we had a great vacation one year floating the Colorado river, and riding horses in the Grand Canyon. Much more fun than Disney....those trips were more authentic to me, with real family time. We rented a houseboat at Lake Powell one year for a week, no tv, no phones, just fishing, swimming, cruising the lake...the kids planned and practiced a song for their Grandmother, sang a Capella. That trip was 100x better than Disney, INMO.
I think you are making too much of it. Disney is beyond a theme park. It's an American cultural and historical icon that has helped shaped this country whether we like it or not. I don't think there is anything wrong with parents wishing to expose their children to it at least once. I think it's a little selfish of parents to deprive their children of Disneyland just to make a statement. You may not think Disney is very fun or a big deal, but to a child who has never been there, it is most certainly a big deal to them.

My kids enjoy all of the same things your kids enjoy and they still enjoy Disney. Disney is fun in it's own way and provides a sense of fantasy and imagination that is unique. I wouldn't encourage anyone to go into debt just to go to Disneyworld but there are inexpensive ways to experience it as others have detailed.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Disney is beyond a theme park. It's an American cultural and historical icon that has helped shaped this country whether we like it or not. I don't think there is anything wrong with parents wishing to expose their children to it at least once. I think it's a little selfish of parents to deprive their children of Disneyland just to make a statement. You may not think Disney is very fun or a big deal, but to a child who has never been there, it is most certainly a big deal to them.

Says you.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Says you.
Are you basing any of your decision on personal experience? Have you ever been to Disney?

Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,420 times
Disney has alot of fun things for adults too. You might like it. My parents went every year and took my oldest..until my Mom was diagnosed with cancer. They looked forward to going every year.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
And going to Disney ONE time is not giving your kids an entitlement attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting