Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 01:21 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Wow. And that passive aggressive big old B attitude explains a lot! Good luck to your husband and better luck to that kid of yours. They're gonna need it!
not sure where this came from...
I didn't mean it in a bitchy way...I realized it may have come out like that but that wasn't my intention, I was actually curious
I get that the poster was joking.
BUT, at the same time, it's not the first time I've heard similar statements from women who claim to
have 'fixed' their men up by doing something similar - like they do something drastic and somewhat mean and the man suddenly 'gets it'. I'm trying to imagine actually doing that and DH's reaction, and am just not seeing how it would work. So I was just looking beyond the joke seriously, as I hear this sort of sentiment often...

lauramc27, I apologize if my post sounded snarky, I realize it kind of does but I actually didn't mean it that way at all. In fact I think what you did is pretty hilarious

Last edited by EvilCookie; 02-26-2013 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
Oh, you amuse me to no end. Thanks for the chuckles and reminding me I've learned so well how to rise above sexist, small minded men who don't even recognize their own arrogance.
Thanks for reinforcing, and backing up, that my observations are indeed correct.

Sexism? That's hilarious.

It's simply not rocket science.

There is such a thing as male? There is such a thing as female? They do have differences obvious and otherwise-right?

Using the race card or sexism card= great way to scare off and discount the opposition.

Here's a good solution: OP-- make daddy stay home, and you go to work taking a job equal to or better than.

BTW, I am all for that scenario!!

Last edited by picklejuice; 02-26-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
EvilCookie...dont you know you gave up the preference to be off on weekends, be a night owl, sleep in, etc when you decided to become a mother? Take your husband out of the equation. You chose to have this child with this man. You are responsible for the responsibilities that come along with that.

You can blame him all you want, but it was your body that gave birth to this child. Although it should be equal responsibility, you decided to say yes and bring the child into the world. Not him.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Yes. I have great kids who have benefited from a terrific -stay at home- mother.

BTW, she goes to Europe once a year (on her own), and I am more than happy to oblige.
That explains it. You didn't raise them. You let someone else do it while you worked.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
EvilCookie...dont you know you gave up the preference to be off on weekends, be a night owl, sleep in, etc when you decided to become a mother? Take your husband out of the equation. You chose to have this child with this man. You are responsible for the responsibilities that come along with that.

You can blame him all you want, but it was your body that gave birth to this child. Although it should be equal responsibility, you decided to say yes and bring the child into the world. Not him.
Huh.
I didn't decide to go to a sperm bank and have a baby on my own.
I didn't bind and gag and rape him or poke holes in condoms.
The pregnancy was planned and he knew it and he wanted the child just as I did, and had as much of a part in making him. Yes, it was my body that was pregnant and gave birth, but does that now absolve him of parenting duties??
If he had told me, 'you know, if you have this baby it'll be all on you and I'll only pay the bills and pick the kid up for a few minutes when I feel like it" - I probably wouldn't decide to have a child with him.
In fact, even just a year ago when we were contemplating the move he swore up and down that he'll pitch in and be helpful. He just failed to mention that he'll be insulting me and making me feel lazy and worthless while doing it...

Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Huh.
The pregnancy was planned and he knew it and he wanted the child just as I did, and had as much of a part in making him. Yes, it was my body that was pregnant and gave birth, but does that now absolve him of parenting duties??
If he had told me, 'you know, if you have this baby it'll be all on you and I'll only pay the bills and pick the kid up for a few minutes when I feel like it" - I probably wouldn't decide to have a child with him.
In fact, even just a year ago when we were contemplating the move he swore up and down that he'll pitch in and be helpful. He just failed to mention that he'll be insulting me and making me feel lazy and worthless while doing it...
You don't have a parenting problem as much as you have a relationship problem. If both of you can't figure your way out of this stand-off regarding who deserves more leisure time you're going to end up divorced.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
That explains it. You didn't raise them. You let someone else do it while you worked.
LOL. Well, not true! You are entitled to your opinion.

We both decided which jobs to do. I enjoy spending time with my kids. It's a pleasure. Sure, we lack some alone time. It's what we BOTH signed up for. It helps to always keep in mind that they grow up fast, and they are out the door before you know it!

Had she desired to have me stay home and work that job, I would have gone for it. I make way more money doing what I do. That is why she has been able to stay home and not have to pay some stranger to care for our kids.

We try to balance it: I give her a break, and she gives me a break.

She gets sick, I fill in. I get sick, she fills in.

It is not a competition or keep score kind of deal. That's for idiots!

Regardless, parenting is not for the weak, impatient, or faint at heart.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Huh.
Who would the child end up living with in the event of a divorce? Would that situation be any different than the one your in now? Other than the fact that you would have to go out and work? It blows my mind that people dont think these things through when making HUGE life choices. I have a feeling that there were signs of this behavior way before the child was in the picture. The child just makes it more apparent.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I agree 100% with this post, except that my post was nonsense. I guess my talking about her having a vacation was overlooked. It's the same thing as what the normal husband gets from a job. Heck, if and when you can, two weeks!

You ladies are too quick to get defensive about my observations.

Sorry some of you had miserable mothers who stayed home. It sounds like they had underlying mental illness, and were not "normal" to begin with. Genes have a lot to do with that.

It's not PC to expect a woman who gives birth to care for her own child, and expect exactly what the man gets (a one -two week vacation).
"You ladies ..."

LOL

"Sorry, not sorry."

Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Public service announcement: If a group of women are discussing the difficult realities of being wives and mothers, and offering constructive advice to another woman who is struggling with the demands of her life ... it might not be the best time for a man to suggest that all they need to do is try harder like his sainted wife and mother. Has there ever been a woman who took kindly to this advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting