Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Wait a minute, is that why I'm not a morning person? I have unusually low blood pressure. Is there a connection?
If a person has low blood pressure it's usually worst in the mornings, but some people just aren't morning people and their BP is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I've never been able to do that despite trying many times, I could never get up at 5am anyway, I'd have to quit my job. I had to quit a job that started at 7am because my whole life suffered, I never got used to it and was miserable, dreading every day. One of the reasons I started my own business was so I could make my own schedule, now I don't have to force myself to get up early, and it's so wonderful. It's not just the waking up, I have no energy in the mornings for a couple hours, in the evening I'm raring to go, and do all my important work then.

I was like that even as a child, my parents never had to worry about a kid running around the house in the morning, I was always a lump until after 9am. My night owl parents loved that about me on the weekends, but they didn't love the torture of getting me up for school, my dad refused to do it because I was so awful it hurt his feelings, but I never remembered afterwards, or meant to be mean to him, I adored him.
It has taken me a long time to get used to it but, as long as I don't let myself sleep in EVER, I'm ok with it. I can't say I'm a bundle of energy in the morning but it's nice getting up to a quiet house and having a cup of coffee while you watch the sun come up. The flip side is I'm exhausted by 8:00 PM and, usually in bed by 9:00. I, definitely, sleep more this way.

My mom claims I slept through the night my first night home from the hospital. She said they made her wake me up in the morning to feed me. So I'd say I've always been this way. Left on my own, I'd go to bed about 2:00 AM and get up ad 10:00 AM.

I do find that the trick to shifting your sleep schedule is to keep the exact sleep schedule every day. I'm in bed no later than 9:30 every night and up at 5:00. I've been doing it so long, I wake before the alarm clock most days.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It has taken me a long time to get used to it but, as long as I don't let myself sleep in EVER, I'm ok with it. I can't say I'm a bundle of energy in the morning but it's nice getting up to a quiet house and having a cup of coffee while you watch the sun come up. The flip side is I'm exhausted by 8:00 PM and, usually in bed by 9:00. I, definitely, sleep more this way.

My mom claims I slept through the night my first night home from the hospital. She said they made her wake me up in the morning to feed me. So I'd say I've always been this way. Left on my own, I'd go to bed about 2:00 AM and get up ad 10:00 AM.

I do find that the trick to shifting your sleep schedule is to keep the exact sleep schedule every day. I'm in bed no later than 9:30 every night and up at 5:00. I've been doing it so long, I wake before the alarm clock most days.

The only time I have ever seen the sun come up is when I have been up all night

It's good advice, but I could never get used to getting up any earlier than 9 or 9:30, and that was very hard. I did try every day for a long time when I had that early job, but I just ended up sleep deprived with terrible insomnia because I wouldn't get tired at night even with the lack of sleep. I couldn't make it work so I had to find a new job. I think the time people can reasonably work with without getting insomnia varies, I admit I'm very extreme.

Now I don't have to worry about it and it's sheer heaven.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
The only time I have ever seen the sun come up is when I have been up all night

It's good advice, but I could never get used to getting up any earlier than 9 or 9:30, and that was very hard. I did try every day for a long time when I had that early job, but I just ended up sleep deprived with terrible insomnia because I wouldn't get tired at night even with the lack of sleep. I couldn't make it work so I had to find a new job. I think the time people can reasonably work with without getting insomnia varies, I admit I'm very extreme.

Now I don't have to worry about it and it's sheer heaven.
I do tend to get insomnia. I will, often, wake at 2:00 in the morning and have trouble falling back to sleep. Sometimes I just get up. It depends on what I'm doing that day and whether I'll be able to take a nap later. If I know I can't, I'll take Mid-Nite. That, usually, helps.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I do tend to get insomnia. I will, often, wake at 2:00 in the morning and have trouble falling back to sleep. Sometimes I just get up. It depends on what I'm doing that day and whether I'll be able to take a nap later. If I know I can't, I'll take Mid-Nite. That, usually, helps.
Why do you have to get up so early, for a job, or do your kids get you up that early?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Why do you have to get up so early, for a job, or do your kids get you up that early?
For my job. I have to leave by 6:15 to be at school by 7:00 (I teach high school).

Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
For my job. I have to leave by 6:15 to be at school by 7:00 (I teach high school).
You can't get away from early hours in that career. I quit a job because I couldn't handle the hours, but it wasn't my career, for that you do what you have to. I'm fortunate that the career I ended up loving allows me to work later, and it's actually beneficial for my business to be working outside normal working hours.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 PM

EvilCookie, how are you doing? This thread is pretty intense in places, but I hope you found something helpful in it, and didn't feel too bothered by some of the not so helpful comments.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
I could see how that would work for you and some others who are able to get up in the morning, and I think it's great, but, and this is a big but, for many of us night owls, which the OP has said she is, that would be absolute hell,
Yet working people all over the world put on their big boy/big girl pants 5 days a week, wake up very early, and put in long days of work. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I consider myself somewhat of a night owl, but I got up at 4:15 a.m. for many years for a job. I've also worked jobs that were 11 pm to 7:30 am. I'm not THAT much of a night owl, but you do what you have to do.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Jasper, I LIVED for those early mornings. For me, it WAS alone time. So what, if my hubby didn't like to wake up early. Of course, when we were young, it bothered me some, but after awhile, I grew to love that time of day. In fact, I STILL love that 4 am wake-up time. There is no one up. It still gives me that blissful solitude, with a head that is completely uncluttered with the chaos of the day....that wonderful smell of freshly brewing coffee....everyone sound asleep in their beds.

When the kids were little, they'd go climb into bed with daddy, once they woke up, so I STILL had that wonderful alone time, for at least a couple more hours. Like you, I did pretty much everything around the home...but I considered that MY job. His job was going to work to bring home the majority of the money. My job was to stay home, take care of the kids and household, and manage that money very wisely. Part of that money management meant NOT spending frivolously on myself and the children, not spending unwisely for take-out or heat & eat foods, not taking the children to places which would cost a great deal of money.

Part of that job as a SAHM, for me....meant being a "good steward" of the money my husband did bring home. It also meant that when my man came home, he was well taken care of. Perhaps that's one of the reasons that he never...and STILL never, begrudged (s) me any free time I did require. He was well taken care of. His children were well taken care of....and therefore, he took good care of me.
I can't rep you again, but this is a beautiful post describing a family that works well together. Love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting