Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times

Advertisements

If you allow your children to watch some TV, are there any particular children shows that you won't allow your kids to watch? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
When my son Hit Middle school I did not allow him to watch any TV show's rated Y or Y7 . Only G PG & TV14 (some shows). He needed to grow up some and move out of the little boy part of his life to Pre-Teen part of his life.

Only Problem I had was the the V chip in the TV only allow you to restrict from the top down, not from the bottom up also.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 AM

794 posts, read 1,408,655 times
Caillou and Dora, because there's enough whinging and shouting in my house already.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
We don't let our 10 year old DD watch the Disney Channel. It's stupid, fake-funny, and seems to promote boy crazy nonsense. Well, when we had that channel anyway.. we have the most basic cable you can get now, pretty much the local channels I think. We aren't anti Disney as in movies, but no Disney Channel, it's just annoying.

She doesn't have her own TV though. In fact, the only TV is in the living room, she is allowed to watch but with limits and she doesn't watch "TV" as much as she chooses a couple episodes of something or a movie on Netflix. She is never watching something that we aren't aware of and if we aren't here and she's in the care of her older brother or brothers, they won't let her watch something they aren't sure we're ok with.

After the firstborn, I banned Barney from my home. No big moral reason, just that with the firstborn I didn't know better and he was a Barney fanatic and drove me nuts with it. I knew I couldn't live through that again two more times and I had a few years in between to figure that one out! So kid 2 and 3 didn't know any such thing as Barney existed.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:12 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Any of the stupid Disney sitcoms mentioned above, except Good Luck Charlie and Phineas and Ferb, which are funny.

Shows that are like junk food with NO redeeming qualities, like SpongeBob, or have annoying voices, like Jimmy Neutron and Fairly Odd Parents.

Faux-battle shows like Pokemon, Power Rangers.

My kids never really wanted to watch those anyway, and usually ended up watching PBS cartoons and a couple of Disney cartoons. We watch a lot of sports and documentaries.

Our all-time favorite is Arthur, and my 16-year-olds will still watch an episode with their little brother from time to time. Our whole family could sit down and watch iCarly and be entertained without being shocked or annoyed. We also watch Duck Dynasty now.

I can't stand those tween soap operas like Pretty Little Liars and weird stuff they put on ABC Family, which is the LEAST family-oriented channel on TV.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 02-26-2013 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Any current cartoon show besides P&F. The rest are garbage, and I have been collecting old school good cartoons for when he's older.
So far, however, he has shown zero interest in tv, and that's the way we like it.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 AM

741 posts, read 1,287,970 times
Almost anything on the disney channel, ick.
PBS kids is nice, I also like the Discovery programing.

Nature shows are the favorite at my house, especially Blue Planet and Earth.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:56 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Any of the stupid Disney sitcoms mentioned above, except Good Luck Charlie and Phineas and Ferb, which are funny.

Shows that are like junk food with NO redeeming qualities, like SpongeBob, or have annoying voices, like Jimmy Neutron and Fairly Odd Parents.

Faux-battle shows like Pokemon, Power Rangers.

My kids never really wanted to watch those anyway, and usually ended up watching PBS cartoons and a couple of Disney cartoons. We watch a lot of sports and documentaries.

Our all-time favorite is Arthur, and my 16-year-olds will still watch an episode with their little brother from time to time. Our whole family could sit down and watch iCarly and be entertained without being shocked or annoyed. We also watch Duck Dynasty now.

I can't stand those tween soap operas like Pretty Little Liars and weird stuff they put on ABC Family, which is the LEAST family-oriented channel on TV.

Ha! I am ashamed to admit it but my wife and I were both really into that show (Pretty Little Liars). Then it took a break and we forgot about it...but I agree, ABC Family, seems like someone was joking when they named that channel! I actually liked Kyle XY and watched it with my older kids but there were constant sexual innuendos, glad we didn't let the younger one watch it assuming it was wholesome because it was on that channel!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
SpongeBob is a no-no in our house. Also, several of the Disney shows, as others have mentioned, until they get older. For example, my 11-year old is allowed to watch some, but not my 7- or 5-year old.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
We've never banned any specific shows, but I'm trying to get my son who's now 15 to stop watching Glee. I mean, I guess it's OK if he wants to watch it so he can talk to girls at school about it, but it's a real creepy show. Personally I think he just watches it to **** off his older brother so I try not to make a big deal out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting