Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 11:05 PM

9,086 posts, read 1,455,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've never been spanked. That's why I am so spoiled.
Me neither! I'm too much of an angel. . Ha ha ha

Old 08-11-2013, 11:14 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,962,891 times
Haha I definitely wasn't spanked often I wasn't a terrible kid. I only got a couple of real spankings growing up that I can remember. Just my dad pointing his finger at me and saying "I'm not gonna tell you again" with that evil look in his eye was enough for me lol

Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 PM

114,840 posts, read 65,489,588 times
...........uh.. Jr high where it was a contest between coaches and teachers. Who could build the best torture weapon. Paddles aerodynamically designed.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:11 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,968,569 times
While I got the ocassional spanking, it was nothing that was even remotely going to scar me for life. However that did not mean I was not punished from time to time. I remember I rebelled once and told my dad that was how it was going to be. My dad just walked away. That night he set the dinner table. It was only set for 3 people instead of the normal 4 people.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:23 AM

11,323 posts, read 9,207,283 times
Child abuse makes me ill and it's very sad.

Nothing "fun" about it.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:56 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,334,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Child abuse makes me ill and it's very sad.

Nothing "fun" about it.
Same here^

When I was a kid, my mother hit me with her leather belt.
She's long dead, and I'm still angry about how she harmed me.
My father flew into rages & spanked me, which shocked & scared me-
that these people who say they love & will protect me are monsters.
He's dead, too, and I still am terrified of angry people.

Intellectually, now, I understand the frustration my parents felt-
but I never got over the pain & betrayal, on a deeper physiological level.

It was not then nor is it now
in the least bit amusing, lighthearted fun, or okay in my opinion.
I wish this thread were in Parenting section instead
so I wouldn't have to see it every time I click on Other Topics, it's very triggering.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:01 AM

21,409 posts, read 8,621,501 times
^^^^^^ I'm sorry about what happened to you, Cloven.

I grew up in the era before spanking was considered child abuse. The worst one I remember is one summer afternoon when I was six years old. I wanted to go visit my friend Linda, who lived on a through street that intersected our dead-end street. I was allowed to play on our street, but my mother had warned me never to cross Lucas Street by myself. I really, really wanted to go over to my friend's house. So I crossed the street anyway, no cars came, and nothing bad happened.

Next thing I knew, there was Mom coming after me. The memory is so vivid I can even remember what she was wearing, a white blouse and a multicolored skirt in a big check pattern. She had that look on her face, and I knew I was in for it. Sure enough, I got a good spanking. I felt the injustice of it along with the sting on my bottom because I truly felt I'd been careful and that I hadn't done anything wrong.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:29 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,230,756 times
In the 70's a group of young parents were hashing discipline and reinforcement to protect their children from harm knowing that they would not understand until they were parents themselves. I remembered a story from JR High history and relayed it as I remembered it. A small group of soldiers were taking shelter in a shack in the woods during WWII when the commanding officer said, "Hit the deck". Every man did and every man lived. A second later any man who would have asked why would have been killed with machine gun fire. Kids can't be expected to be that well trained but how many have been killed by chasing a ball into the street as a parent was yelling stop because they saw the speeding car that the kid did not see? That same morning I told a second true story about a father who told his son to drop to the ground and the kid did. Next the father said crawl to me and the kid did. Next the father said now get up and run to me and the kid did. Once the kid got to his father his father pointed out the Green Mamba snake that was hanging from the tree over his son's head. Now the sad part of this day is one young mother said if that had been my son he would be dead. She refused to make him mind saying she didn't want him growing up hating her. He didn't grow up. Two weeks later he was dead from not obeying a don't do that. He crawled up a tractor tire and was crushed to death. That was tough for me to live down and tougher for those parents. There are ways to teach discipline without leather belts or canoe paddles but it must be taught if you really care for your children. A few months back a tragic accident took place here in FL. A six year old girl who loved turtles saw one on the road. Her mother pulled off and as her mother was saying wait the girl ignored her and jumped out of the car and ran in front of the path of a fast moving car with her eyes only on the turtle. How many children die each year because they don't understand respect of their parents? It is just so sad it is sickening. Mental scares are bad but they don't kill like a fast moving car. That little girl and that little boy have no mental scars because they are both dead. I've seen a parent arrested because his son was just playing in the back of the pickup when the hunting dog pen was in it. Something the kid did all the time. Someone turned him in as a child abuser which was entirely false. He was my neighbor. The entire system has run a muck. There is no happy medium. No sense of where to stop on the part of parents and turn an unruly kid over to the right place for professional help. Some kids are just lost maybe because of the laws of the survival of the fittest. I don't have the answers. I got my share of swats and I'm glad for them. I now understand. As far as the worst I ever got was probably the day I broke a window in the car doing what I was told not to do. And I do agree that this should be in parenting.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:37 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,093,251 times
This is one of the funniest description of a whoopin' by his mother ever.

SiNbAd: Brain Damaged (Part 6) - YouTube

Old 08-12-2013, 06:49 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,596,459 times
Never been spanked by parents-was spanked once by the principle-my father found out and went down to the school and had a "talk" with the principle...needless to say I was untouchable in school.

My dad just put the fear of God in me...plus I was a fast learner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting