Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times

Advertisements

Yep. My Dad's BIG,WIDE leather belt. If he wasn't in the mood to use that, then out to the plum tree I go. Get the right one, or it's back to the tree to get another one. It had to be long, limber, and with small branches. Sorta like a cat-o-nine-tails. Whippin's were bad, but around our house, that was the least of the problems. But I suppose I turned out ok.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Too bad, I did the same thing, felt sorry for myself. It ended with a hug and a kiss then "go outside and play." You have to grow up someday and forgive your parents, we all do. If you are a good person today then give your parents some pts.
Ill stick to believing spanking is wrong and shouldn't be used.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 AM

224 posts, read 356,799 times
No, my parents believed in taking the T.V out of my room.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Yep. My Dad's BIG,WIDE leather belt. If he wasn't in the mood to use that, then out to the plum tree I go. Get the right one, or it's back to the tree to get another one. It had to be long, limber, and with small branches. Sorta like a cat-o-nine-tails. Whippin's were bad, but around our house, that was the least of the problems. But I suppose I turned out ok.
I was whipped with a cowstrap (the wide leather belt used to tie the milking apparatus on the cows).

For what infractions, you ask? Usually backtalk.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Yes.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:48 AM

170 posts, read 322,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Ill stick to believing spanking is wrong and shouldn't be used.
That was what my big brother said too: "But you don't teach them anything. They don't understand except to hate you even more."
Unfortunately, I brought this view up to one of my friends and they were like, "Yeah, but it depends on the kid. Some of them are actually okay with it and will learn. There isn't a right answer for everyone, but if I had my own kid(s) I would not." Like me, they endured 3 or 4 "spankings". Also, since our parents are Asian immigrants this stuff was never outlawed. I believe it's still common in some households today, although it's never been severe enough to take to court or anything like that.

There definitely isn't a right answer for everyone. Otherwise, life would be much simpler... HAHA.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 AM

175 posts, read 279,353 times
Yes, only a handful of times. Nothing traumatizing but I still won't inflict physical pain to punish my own children, provided I have them.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Wow. WTF??

To the OP:

Yes.
Public school in east Texas (culturally like much of the old south). As a part of the enrollment process, parents had to give consent for the district to issue corporal punishment (it wasn't mandatory). "Swats" were only administered by coaches (for kids participating in athletics) and principals. I had the choice that day to take a swat or spend the remainder of the day in ISS. I chose a swat.

I can't really remember ever getting spanked past the age of 10 by my dad. It was always just one, usually open handed, but a belt got thrown in when I really messed up and/or was particularly disobedient/smart mouthed.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM

170 posts, read 322,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Public school in east Texas (culturally like much of the old south). As a part of the enrollment process, parents had to give consent for the district to issue corporal punishment (it wasn't mandatory). "Swats" were only administered by coaches (for kids participating in athletics) and principals. I had the choice that day to take a swat or spend the remainder of the day in ISS. I chose a swat.

I can't really remember ever getting spanked past the age of 10 by my dad. It was always just one, usually open handed, but a belt got thrown in when I really messed up and/or was particularly disobedient/smart mouthed.
Texas was in the news not too long ago for having "reintroduced" the physical punishments for schoolkids. Have you heard about that?

Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Yes, by a mother who would fly off the handle at a moments notice. I really never did anything terribly fresh, it was always some version of backtalk that got me in trouble. Since she had arthritic hands, her instrument of choice was a wooden paddle and she didn't care where it landed. A spanking by my father was very rare, and with his hand only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting