Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
You'd be amazed at how "safe" it feels to just stick your head in the sand.
Eh, I am the product of "hippie" type parents, I even called my father by his first name ::gasp::. So I do not understand why a parent would TRY to give their child hang ups about sex. Isn't the point of parenting to raise happy, healthy, well adjusted adults? Well part of being happy, healthy and well adjusted is to have healthy feelings about sex. That starts by not making sex dirty, shameful or taboo.

There are lots of activities only adults engage in that children don't, and we still talk about them with our children, why would sex be any different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 02:50 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Eh, I am the product of "hippie" type parents, I even called my father by his first name ::gasp::. So I do not understand why a parent would TRY to give their child hang ups about sex. Isn't the point of parenting to raise happy, healthy, well adjusted adults? Well part of being happy, healthy and well adjusted is to have healthy feelings about sex. That starts by not making sex dirty, shameful or taboo.

There are lots of activities only adults engage in that children don't, and we still talk about them with our children, why would sex be any different?

Because of the large amount of information out there and the ability for it to spread further and quicker than before, people assume that it's this awful world out there that you can't let your kids out of your sights for more then 2 minutes or someone is most definitely going to snatch them up, and it wasn't like this just 10 years ago, and so on and so forth, even though it's never been more safe for children, you just never heard about the stuff that happened just 10 years ago. So they end up smothering the kids and trying to shelter them from life thinking they are helping, when of course, it's the exact opposite. It sort of falls the same way with anything that could possibly make the parents uncomfortable. They convince themselves that their child is "too young" for this kind of talk, and "we never talked about that until I was much older!" and all the other stuff that they say to justify their actions. So then their kids, who are of course, still going to be curious, will find out anyways, and the parents failed to be the ones to take control of the conversation.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
For those worried about what the kids will learn, here's the national standard for k-2 (and other grades)

FoSE | National Standards and Assessment Tools

Quote:
AP.2.CC.1 Use proper names for body parts, including male and female anatomy
ID.2.CC.1 Describe differences and similarities in how boys and girls may be expected to act
ID.2.INF.1 Provide examples of how friends, family, media, society and culture influence ways in which boys and girls think they should act
[MOD CUT]
There is NOTHING threatening about this starting at 5, imNsho.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-30-2013 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: improper quoting of copyrighted material

Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
right nana053, I'm sure the little boys and girls are going to love saying the words penis, vagina, anus, ******* and breasts together...not...I don't know how anyone (especially a young child) could be expected to describe "differences" and "similarities" in how boys and girls act, unless they've been brought up to believe that they must act a certain way in life, based solely on their gender. Not everyone buys their little boys a truck, and their little girls a doll, so asking a 5 year old what would influence them to act how they think they should act would not be something they could understand, as the biggest influence in their lives would be their role models..their parents, don't you think? They'd probably all say "because mommy does it"...or "daddy does it"...there may be nothing "threatening" about it, but it could prove embarrassing, and upsetting for some children.......and for what?.....[MOD CUT]

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-30-2013 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Personal. Please use PM.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:25 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well part of being happy, healthy and well adjusted is to have healthy feelings about sex.
I think that many people don't realize this until their kids are adults. Of course by then it is too late because their attitudes about sex are already formed.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
right nana053, I'm sure the little boys and girls are going to love saying the words penis, vagina, anus, ******* and breasts together...not...I don't know how anyone (especially a young child) could be expected to describe "differences" and "similarities" in how boys and girls act, unless they've been brought up to believe that they must act a certain way in life, based solely on their gender. Not everyone buys their little boys a truck, and their little girls a doll, so asking a 5 year old what would influence them to act how they think they should act would not be something they could understand, as the biggest influence in their lives would be their role models..their parents, don't you think? They'd probably all say "because mommy does it"...or "daddy does it"...there may be nothing "threatening" about it, but it could prove embarrassing, and upsetting for some children.......and for what?.....[MOD CUT]
Who says they are *saying them together?* You must be remembering school from a long time ago if you think that kids recite anything in unison in school nowadays.

Parents ought to be teaching children the proper words for their anatomy right from the beginning. There is NOTHING embarrassing about these words.

As for the differences and similarities between how gender affects how kids act, you must live in a bubble. Parents try, but kids get messages from our culture and society and this kind of education is designed partly to counteract those effects. See the threads about what the media tells kids. Or the toy aisles in Toys R Us. While we may not always give girls dolls and boys trucks, the toy aisles are separated by gender and that sends a message about what kids *should* play with.

Having taught preschool, I can tell you that the kids *will* tell you how girls and boys are supposed to act even if they haven't been taught this by their parents.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that many people don't realize this until their kids are adults. Of course by then it is too late because their attitudes about sex are already formed.
Ya your are probably right.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
...there may be nothing "threatening" about it, but it could prove embarrassing, and upsetting for some children.......and for what?.....[MOD CUT]
So kids know from a young age the proper words for body parts & do not view these conversations as embarrassing or something to be avoided.

A more extreme example as to how this can help:

There was a teacher here who had a little girl in her class who kept telling her something like, "Daddy made me touch his pans." She didn't think anything of it -- thought he was teaching her how to wash the dishes. After some time it came out that she was being abused & that is the word her father told her to use. Don't you think if that girl had known the proper word for penis they would have intervened sooner?

Childhood sexual abuse isn't so uncommon that it shouldn't be a concern. The best thing you can do is teach a child to know the difference between safe touching/non-safe touching & how to communicate it to a trusted adult if that ever happens to them.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I would like to know what they define as sex education at that age level. If it is a good touch bad touch program...I'd be all for that. But, sex education is a very broad topic...

Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would like to know what they define as sex education at that age level. If it is a good touch bad touch program...I'd be all for that. But, sex education is a very broad topic...
See the links I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting