Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

I just read the article on Yahoo. Neither the surrogate or the people paying her deserved to have any child. I once heard a story that a family was planning to adopt a baby, flew in from a distance for the birth and it turned out that the baby had Down syndrome. The couple walked out of the delivery room and went to the airport. See, many people want "perfect" babies so maybe that is why they end up with none because that seems fair to me. I have one son born to me and the other one through adoption and neither come close to perfect but I surely wasn't expecting that. I am so thankful for the family that adopted the little girl and hope they are blessed with the most positive outcome possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Better legal controls do need to be in place for such situations. I think as the surrogate she should have done what the couple wished. That is a risk of being a surrogate, you are supposed to be pregnant for another couple, not yourself.
I would think the surrogate and the biological parents views on these things would be discussed beforehand. You can certainly not force someone to abort when they are opposed to it, religiously or morally. Laws will never be able to dictate that. On the same note, I would think that a biological parent that isn't shopping for that "perfect" child and would love a child regardless of their disabilites would want to make sure that the surrogate that they are using has the same regard for human life, and wouldn't decide to abort based on her own feelings of the quality of the child's life. But these things are obviously not considered and discussed when the surrogate is desperately calling around advertising that month's vacancy and the biological parents take is so lightly to commit in such short time. I'd be surprised if the couple had time to ask her her last name.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:49 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I would think the surrogate and the biological parents views on these things would be discussed beforehand. You can certainly not force someone to abort when they are opposed to it, religiously or morally. Laws will never be able to dictate that. On the same note, I would think that a biological parent that isn't shopping for that "perfect" child and would love a child regardless of their disabilites would want to make sure that the surrogate that they are using has the same regard for human life, and wouldn't decide to abort based on her own feelings of the quality of the child's life. But these things are obviously not considered and discussed when the surrogate is desperately calling around advertising that month's vacancy and the biological parents take is so lightly to commit in such short time. I'd be surprised if the couple had time to ask her her last name.
I agree, there is so much to be discussed before ANY agreement is made.

Interesting to see this posted here; my 15 year old son just discussed it with me this morning since he is doing a school related project about this story!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I just read the article on Yahoo. Neither the surrogate or the people paying her deserved to have any child. I once heard a story that a family was planning to adopt a baby, flew in from a distance for the birth and it turned out that the baby had Down syndrome. The couple walked out of the delivery room and went to the airport. See, many people want "perfect" babies so maybe that is why they end up with none because that seems fair to me. I have one son born to me and the other one through adoption and neither come close to perfect but I surely wasn't expecting that. I am so thankful for the family that adopted the little girl and hope they are blessed with the most positive outcome possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I won't put myself in another's position and judge them on why they choose to abort. This is a very personal decision. Yes, more conversation should have been discussed prior to the agreement. Perhaps then all parties would have known how each felt about abortion and disabilities. This may never be able to be "legislated" but at least knowing before hand what each wants, the circumstances may be better controlled.

This is a sad situation. But I really can't see myself telling any parent that they should feel obligated to keep a child they know through ultrasound will have mental, physical, and developmental issues if they don't want to. They are the ones who will need to care for that child and it is their decision to make. Many birth mothers abort when told these issues. It's between them, their partner/husband, and the doctor. Caring for children with disabilities is not easy. So, I feel for the surrogate and the couple, and now for the child who will one day be told of these unfortunate events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting