Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
My Step Daughter just went back to work, she is doing part time for the first few weeks. Her husband has his own book shop an gets home during the day. They have two nannies, one for weekdays and one for weekend days.
Let me know how someone making minimum wage can afford two nannies!? they must make a lot of money to afford that....most people don't have that kind of luxury!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
"Daycares" are a BUSINESS. They ONLY care about their bottom line, and not your child. That is why the people working at a daycare are low waged to pieces...and not qualified to care for a PET Alligator let alone a child. How many daycares have you seen for the majority of the population that have ALL personnel qualified? qualified/educated chefs, caretakers with degrees in childhood education, etc. basically capable, well trained people? NONE......Primrose sucks...Kindercare is horrible...and everything else in between shouldn't be allowed to care for carrots!
We have that in my neck of the woods and the cost is upwards of 2k/month and that's what we'll pay.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
"Daycares" are a BUSINESS. They ONLY care about their bottom line, and not your child. That is why the people working at a daycare are low waged to pieces...and not qualified to care for a PET Alligator let alone a child. How many daycares have you seen for the majority of the population that have ALL personnel qualified? qualified/educated chefs, caretakers with degrees in childhood education, etc. basically capable, well trained people? NONE......Primrose sucks...Kindercare is horrible...and everything else in between shouldn't be allowed to care for carrots!
When my son was a year or so old; I moved him to a daycare in our small town. I knew the owner; I knew the women that worked there; and I knew which worker my son reached for when he woke for a nap. I loved that place; I loved the women; and had no hesitation to send my son there.

There are good daycares out there; they are not always the first ones you find.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
We have that in my neck of the woods and the cost is upwards of 2k/month and that's what we'll pay.
$2000 a month for daycare!??? wow! That's more than my rent! or my rent was ever at!

I would only pay such amount if my kid got ONE ON ONE! OMG!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What is the benefit of parental leave for the company or the child? I've seen no research to support that long leaves are good for children. We've just ASSumed that they are. There is plenty of research to show that good quality day care is good for children. There is nothing to support that RTW while using qood quality day care is better if delayed. You're trying to sell something here without benefits. Just because women want to take long leaves does not mean they're actually good for anybody.

Show me some research that says that taking 24 weeks instead of 12 results in positive results that can be measured years later. I CAN show you research to show that use of high quality day care does have a positive impact 30 years later. You put your money where it does the most good and that would be investing in high quality day care and work/life balance policies that benefit all employees not just the moms.
Well for one thing it gives women more choice. Instead of a new mother having to choose between returning to work very early with the risks of breastfeeding failing and missing out on important bonding time, and choosing to stay home and risking not being able to get back into the workforce, instead mothers could stay home long enough to either be done with breastfeeding or for feeds to have reduced enough to make it easy to pump or even just feed morning and night and go back to their previous job with no worries and have a sufficient income the entire time. Or even like it is here, they can choose to stay home for 3 years (not paid by their company but I get a small grant of a little one 400 euros a month from the State) to provide the best beginning for their child.

Daycare is not beneficial for infants (by that I mean children under the age of one). The benefits of good quality daycare come into play in the later toddler and preschool years when the children can actually benefit from learning to be around other adults and children (social development) plus early years education can be beneficial. But there's nothing good for an infant in daycare, it is much better for them to be with a parent (particularly the mother if she is breastfeeding) and get proper care and attention.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
$2000 a month for daycare!??? wow! That's more than my rent! or my rent was ever at!

Thats so expensive!! I can't imagine having to pay that much. I won't have to pay much more than 200 euros a month for full time daycare (if I go for public daycare, private costs more but not that much more, my friend's 3 year old goes and parents are only paying about 300 euros a month)

Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM

466 posts, read 815,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
There are good daycares out there; they are not always the first ones you find.
True. We were extremely lucky. I had day care plans in place that fell apart when my son was 8 weeks old. Oy. Luckily, there was a spot open in a regional chain center near my house. He started at 12 weeks, and has been there ever since (he's 3 now). The big thing about our center is stability, which is so important. The director had been there 14 years and only left last year for medical reasons. In our time there, only one full-time teacher has left, which is practically unheard of in so many centers. And there are many, many kids that have been at our center ever since they were babies. These things rank higher to me than a fancy chef in the center kitchen. Lord knows no gourmet meals are coming out of my own kitchen. LOL

But there are some awful ones, as well. No doubt. My friend just pulled her kid out of one that has had four directors the past four years, a rotating cast of teachers, tons of TV, and does the minimum to follow the guidelines. For example, the state says you only need one teacher per 19 4-year-olds, and that's all they had. My center doesn't do that.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:

For infant care in the Boston area (one of the most expensive areas in the country for day care) by care givers that are college educated and implement development programs. It's the kind of care many of these studies draw on. My husband and I ended rearranging our work schedules so we only had to do p/t. Frankly, I don't think a $20/HR nanny is worth it...unless she's a grad student child development major.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Some of you are so sexist towards women and it sickens me. No I am not talking about those who oppose paid leave, but rather these attitudes that only moms matter in this world. First off not every woman wants to or can breastfeed. Many older women never breastfed and their kids turned out fine, imagine that. Also, so many of you are denying the role dad should play, such as he could change diapers and yes feed the baby (I actually like the idea of pumping). However if it was up to several of you mom would get a year off and dad would get nothing. Sexist? you bet. I realize mom has to heal but so does anyone who has surgery or anything medical but I don't see people saying we need to give someone 6 months off who had surgery but of course moms are special.

No I don't support paid leave unless it is open to ALL, including dads and people who need it for medical reasons. My former employer offer paid leave to anyone who was disabled and this is how I feel it should be but to many of you this isn't acceptable.

Not to mention that so many of us childless women are paying the price for this idea moms are better than us and deserve breaks. Do you know how many employers have said they don't like to hire women of childbearing age because of this? 2 months isn't a big deal in terms of losing skills but 6 months certainly is. Or the idiot women who decide to quit their job after giving birth with the idea they can come back after a year. Sorry but I wouldn't hire someone like this because it shows me they aren't ambitious.

I am not against having babies I am against moms (and not dads)getting special treatment from employers, but especially tax payers.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 PM

Pregnancy/maternity leave is NOT disability! (unless it disables the mother!) why should be treated as such? if so...maybe we "should" STOP populating this planet so your employees can be all productive and such...then lets see how productive you're going to be when there are no more employees to abuse!!!!!!!!!

As we were saying earlier....in Europe and other civilized, and some less civilized countries the mother gets a year off, and the father has the option to take a year off too!

I am sure YOUR mother would be proud of your thinking! were you one of these infants dumped in questionable daycares???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Some of you are so sexist towards women and it sickens me. No I am not talking about those who oppose paid leave, but rather these attitudes that only moms matter in this world. First off not every woman wants to or can breastfeed. Many older women never breastfed and their kids turned out fine, imagine that. Also, so many of you are denying the role dad should play, such as he could change diapers and yes feed the baby (I actually like the idea of pumping). However if it was up to several of you mom would get a year off and dad would get nothing. Sexist? you bet. I realize mom has to heal but so does anyone who has surgery or anything medical but I don't see people saying we need to give someone 6 months off who had surgery but of course moms are special.

No I don't support paid leave unless it is open to ALL, including dads and people who need it for medical reasons. My former employer offer paid leave to anyone who was disabled and this is how I feel it should be but to many of you this isn't acceptable.

Not to mention that so many of us childless women are paying the price for this idea moms are better than us and deserve breaks. Do you know how many employers have said they don't like to hire women of childbearing age because of this? 2 months isn't a big deal in terms of losing skills but 6 months certainly is. Or the idiot women who decide to quit their job after giving birth with the idea they can come back after a year. Sorry but I wouldn't hire someone like this because it shows me they aren't ambitious.

I am not against having babies I am against moms (and not dads)getting special treatment from employers, but especially tax payers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting