Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 04:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You;re an idiot. Their priority is to raise their kid(s).

Yes, it is. I believe the point the other poster was making was that it's NOT work or attaining work life balance. Their priority is to not work while raising their kids. Others choose to work while raising their kids. Those people have a priority to work in addition to raise their kids. To each his own but they are not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:19 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes, it is. I believe the point the other poster was making was that it's NOT work or attaining work life balance. Their priority is to not work while raising their kids. Others choose to work while raising their kids. Those people have a priority to work in addition to raise their kids. To each his own but they are not the same.
The issue being discussed is not about being the same. Don't be obtuse. The issue is that this woman is claiming superior intelligence, superior ambition, and simply passing judgement on people who make different choices. It's idiotic.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That is not at all what her point was. Her point was that SAHMs are lazy. Go back and read her posts. She does not pull any punches.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It sounds like you don't have a career to speak of and are simply in no position to pass judgement. I can totally understand why any person would value their child over any career. I have a rather excellent career as a scientist, but it's squat compared to the baby in my belly. That's not something you can grasp, which is fine. And you can certainly have your judgements, although it doesn't really matter to the parent who chooses to stay home with their kids.
Obviously you didn't read where I stated I HAVE a career, I am an instructional designer. So yes I am right to pass judgment on those who don't.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
You;re an idiot. Their priority is to raise their kid(s).
No the idiots are those who choose not to work.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
That is not at all what her point was. Her point was that SAHMs are lazy. Go back and read her posts. She does not pull any punches.
Many are lazy. In fact I don't understand those women who are still at home when the kids are at school or those who expect the husband to cook and clean or the others who have a nanny and housekeeper and still stay at home.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
The issue being discussed is not about being the same. Don't be obtuse. The issue is that this woman is claiming superior intelligence, superior ambition, and simply passing judgement on people who make different choices. It's idiotic.
I stated I don't care what others do but yes I do think those who choose to stay at home for years aren't ambitious. Otherwise if they were ambitious they would keep their job and have a kid. Many women do both now. It has nothing to do with anything else but not everyone is ambitious and if they think they will have a career after years out of the workforce they will find this isn't often the case.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Obviously you didn't read where I stated I HAVE a career, I am an instructional designer. So yes I am right to pass judgment on those who don't.
You have said yourself that you are failing at it. You want to be an instructional designer, but you're not managing it. At least not successfully. And that makes you more intelligent how, exactly? It's not as if you're trying to cure cancer here. There are a million things under the sun that don't pay the almighty dollar that are way more ambitious and important than what you're doing. So no, you're not right to pass judgement on anyone.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
You have said yourself that you are failing at it. You want to be an instructional designer, but you're not managing it. At least not successfully. And that makes you more intelligent how, exactly? It's not as if you're trying to cure cancer here. There are a million things under the sun that don't pay the almighty dollar that are way more ambitious and important than what you're doing. So no, you're not right to pass judgement on anyone.
I NEVER said I was failing, I said I was switching careers. BIG difference and it has nothing to do with whether I am failing at it (which I am not). Rather the field is changing and I want out before this happens. Sorry but my career is far more important than being a sahm and I will continue to pass judgment on those who refuse to work when I know so many moms who have jobs and still have kids, even babies.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I stated I don't care what others do but yes I do think those who choose to stay at home for years aren't ambitious. Otherwise if they were ambitious they would keep their job and have a kid. Many women do both now. It has nothing to do with anything else but not everyone is ambitious and if they think they will have a career after years out of the workforce they will find this isn't often the case.
You have no idea what ambition is, that much is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting