Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
In the welfare case I am supporting them and in the other case I might also be supporting them by paying higher taxes in the event paid maternity becomes a law or just paying higher taxes in general because single people pay more than parents. However, I notice I said MIGHT because the second case might be paying more taxes than me.
The amount of misinformation you post is ridiculous.

Your characterizations of mothers on welfare is a classic example. For a parent to qualify for "welfare", really its called Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, they have to WORK to get any benefits.

Maybe you are some ayn rand social darwinist but this country has a history of understanding that supporting families IS supporting societal goals. Clearly something that goes right over your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 05:43 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
In the welfare case I am supporting them and in the other case I might also be supporting them by paying higher taxes in the event paid maternity becomes a law or just paying higher taxes in general because single people pay more than parents. However, I notice I said MIGHT because the second case might be paying more taxes than me.
It's very likely the second case is paying more in taxes than you. My colleague's at work who have SAHspouses likely paying more in taxes than your gross income.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Probably not but since I have no idea what they make a year I don't know. However they get tax breaks I don't so many parents pay less in taxes than me.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Probably not but since I have no idea what they make a year I don't know. However they get tax breaks I don't so many parents pay less in taxes than me.
I would be shocked if you earned more than 35-40k and that has a minimal fed income tax burden, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
I make more than that but that's no one business what I make.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Stop being a hypocrite.

If your income is none of anyone's businees, then its none of your business how much anyone else makes or whether or not they are supported by their spouse.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Just as it's not your business what a husband and wife decide to do about their care giving decisions.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
I NEVER said I was failing, I said I was switching careers. BIG difference and it has nothing to do with whether I am failing at it (which I am not). Rather the field is changing and I want out before this happens. Sorry but my career is far more important than being a sahm and I will continue to pass judgment on those who refuse to work when I know so many moms who have jobs and still have kids, even babies.
I have to laugh.. Instructional Design? I bet that this is for government supported companies - health care or public schools. My taxes are probably supporting you.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,465 times
Quote:
Go google the marriage penalty. Educate yourself.

Since you don't have kids, why should the government give you more tax breaks? You aren't rearing another generation of tax payers to help support YOU when you retire. No, you will depend on all these babies and kids now to work and pay taxes to support you. Maybe a few who are raised to be caring, loving individuals by SAHPs will even deign to visit the poor, childless people who are left in a nursing home since they don't have kids to care for/visit them. Should keep that in mind.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Yes their priority is to not work.
Quote:
Obviously you didn't read where I stated I HAVE a career, I am an instructional designer. So yes I am right to pass judgment on those who don't.
No, their priority is to take care of their kids.

Your career/job is debatable. What isn't are your kids. You don't have any, therefore you may not judge the choices of those who do.

I am a working mom, btw, so i know what i'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting