Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 04:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
If it was up to me I would cut wars and pork too. I just don't feel it is fair to give something to one part without offering it to everyone. Now if we are talking paid leave that anyone can use no matter I would agree with that. However what these organizations are promoting is paid maternity leave for moms. Why not for fathers or for everyone?

Strangely I find the best luck with smaller companies when it comes to benefits. They can't pay as much but offer benefits.
FMLA is for anyone caring for any family member or themselves. Disability, which is all that is paid during maternity leave, is for anyone who has a disability that prevents them from working. I don't see why paid maternity leave/paternity leave (for lack of a better name) would be any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 04:19 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
FMLA is for anyone caring for any family member or themselves. Disability, which is all that is paid during maternity leave, is for anyone who has a disability that prevents them from working. I don't see why paid maternity leave/paternity leave (for lack of a better name) would be any different.
I mentioned that because an email I got specifically said wanting paid maternity leave. If it was FMLA and open to anyone needing it I would feel differently.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
I have heard both but was referring to the comment that there should be paid maternity leave for everyone. I believe that FMLA is unpaid up to 12 weeks which I have no issue with since it costs taxpayers nothing. I mentioned that because several organizations are trying to push 12 weeks paid leave (and some even want 6 months paid leave) which I oppose as I don't believe taxpayers should have to pay for someone else's choice.
The well being of children is considered the future of our society, and thus a PUBLIC good, not merely a singular good.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The well being of children is considered the future of our society, and thus a PUBLIC good, not merely a singular good.
But there is nothing to show that the children are actually benefitting from mom taking longer leaves. Before you can ask society to foot the bill for something, shouldn't you show that it's actually beneficial? Where's the research that shows that outcomes are better if mom takes 12 weeks instead of 6 or 26 instead of 12 off? Research comparing children of SAHM's and WM's show little difference by the end of grade school. I doubt you're going to find any to support a 12 week paid leave let alone a 26 week paid leave.

I would not want forced paid leaves. It would make women of child bearing age unwanted as employees. Can you imagine being a 30 year old woman looking for work when employers are required to pay you for 26 weeks if you get pregnant? They woudln't touch you with a 33 1/2 foot pole. We have enough discrimnation against women in hiring as things are. This would make it much, much worse.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 PM

427 posts, read 947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Maybe they didn't. But now we do, so here we are. Therefore, it is totally irrelevant whether they did or whether they didn't, and does nothing to help the OP and his wife who DO.
It's always surprising to me that people don't use the 8 or 9 months that they know they are pregnant in order to save some some extra money for just such a purpose when the child arrives. If they had done that, they wouldn't face having to return so quickly.

On a related subject, I don't have a lot of patience waiting for professionals to return from time off related to pregnancy. Much less for men than women. If they want to stay home with a baby, fine. If not, they need to get back to the responsibility of their jobs if the want the benefits that come with it.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
But there is nothing to show that the children are actually benefitting from mom taking longer leaves. Before you can ask society to foot the bill for something, shouldn't you show that it's actually beneficial? Where's the research that shows that outcomes are better if mom takes 12 weeks instead of 6 or 26 instead of 12 off? Research comparing children of SAHM's and WM's show little difference by the end of grade school. I doubt you're going to find any to support a 12 week paid leave let alone a 26 week paid leave.

I would not want forced paid leaves. It would make women of child bearing age unwanted as employees. Can you imagine being a 30 year old woman looking for work when employers are required to pay you for 26 weeks if you get pregnant? They woudln't touch you with a 33 1/2 foot pole. We have enough discrimnation against women in hiring as things are. This would make it much, much worse.
That's another issue I hadn't thought of but yes have had employers ask if I have kids or plan to. If all new mothers got paid leave employers wouldn't consider women of childbearing age and that's a good chunk of women (especially since some women can be fertile into their 50's).

Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM

509 posts, read 587,791 times
Quote:
That's another issue I hadn't thought of but yes have had employers ask if I have kids or plan to. If all new mothers got paid leave employers wouldn't consider women of childbearing age and that's a good chunk of women (especially since some women can be fertile into their 50's).
Asking potential employees if they have children, are pregnant, or planning to get pregnant is illegal. Asking about marriage status is also illegal. The candidate may volunteer it, but the employer still cannot base your decision on that info alone.

Illegal Interview Questions - Business Insider

Last edited by tiffjoy; 03-10-2013 at 05:49 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 05:38 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Employers asking if you plan to have children? That's grossly inappropriate.

I know. Why don't we just do away with paid maternity leave altogether? That way, the womenfolk can just shoot the baby out like a football and head on back to the fields.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
If it was up to me I would cut wars and pork too. I just don't feel it is fair to give something to one part without offering it to everyone. Now if we are talking paid leave that anyone can use no matter I would agree with that. However what these organizations are promoting is paid maternity leave for moms. Why not for fathers or for everyone?

Strangely I find the best luck with smaller companies when it comes to benefits. They can't pay as much but offer benefits.
My co offers paid paternity leave as well...on top of our 6 weeks off time and rather excellent pay. And it's not close to how the Swiss have it. Prioritization of family and children in other western countries is so different compared to here.

To address Ivory's post- I did read a study some time ago that showed better outcome for children who had mom's stay home for 1 year and then went back to the work force F/T.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:59 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Thank you, Women's Lib. How is that working for everyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting