Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Yeah, ok, I think I need to talk to DH and get our little guy checked out. Hopefully he's just on his own timetable.
I would get him checked out whether the DH agrees or not. Doesn't he have a 2 year check-up coming soon? They usually ask about speech, etc at those wellness visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Please do not perpetuate this myth about Einstein. He was talking in sentences sometime between the ages of 2 and 3.

His parents were a bit worried because he spoke late, but he was not severely delayed. He was also never a poor student though he had some teachers who thought he would not amount to much because he was rather
annoyed with them.

Albert Einstein's Biographers Disprove Claim of a Learning Disability
I was just saying that is one of the many things that people said to me trying to make me feel like my daughter's speech issue wasn't a problem. I wasn't saying the anecdote was true. In fact, I was trying to make the point that these people, while meaning well, really didn't know what they were talking about.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Yes. I would look for programs in your area regarding delayed development. It may be nothing but imo you have already waited extra long to address this. Don't panic, but do follow up w/ finding resources to help determine if there are any needed programs that your child should be involved in to help w/ any issues. Talk to his regular doctor for referrals if you can't find what you need.
On a side note, my sister didn't talk, everyone told me she would point and I would tell folks what she wanted. That was until she got into the neighbors yard where they had a full grown german shepard dog....And, she promptly yelled, "Get me out of here"
Here are some helpful links: These will help you understand what you should be concerned about an who to contact.
- Child & Family WebGuide
How A Child Develops - Development Delay
Developmental Delay — National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities

Old 02-10-2015, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 836 times
22 month grandson had said bye and papa roughly 6 months ago, but hasn't really said words since. Should I be worried?

Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3288 View Post
22 month grandson had said bye and papa roughly 6 months ago, but hasn't really said words since. Should I be worried?
That is still early for some kids...but if you are concerned why not have him evaluated? Call your local school district or health department and find out what is availa5jin your area..

Old 02-10-2015, 12:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3288 View Post
While it may be unusual, early intervention can tell you more about whether he has a problem.

Find out the contacts for your state here:
ECTACenter.org : The Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center : Improving Systems, Practices and Outcomes for Young Children with Disabilities and their Families

Early intervention is free or low cost for kids in most states. At 3, the school districts take over and it is harder to get good services depending on your district.

That said - can he follow a two step set of directions? For example, if you say "get your shoes and put them on" will he do that? or "pick up the ball and bring it to daddy" or "get your jacket and hang it up (if you have an easy place for him to hang it)?

If he *can't* not *won't* this is probably an indication of a receptive language delay. If he can, but doesn't have the verbal skill to tell you things, he may have an expressive language delay. Most 2 year olds have at least 50 words, but not all of them do. By age three, preschoolers have a receptive or understood vocabulary of a little over 1,000 words, to which they add at least 50 more words each month. They usually have about 200 words they can say at 3.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:09 PM

634 posts, read 708,332 times
My 1st born was a late talker. He didn't talk until 3. He could communicate but chose not to talk. After making sure that he was ok physically, the ped said i shouldn't worry. Here is an article I think will help you. It is a good read.

The Late Talker | Speech Development

Old 02-10-2015, 01:33 PM

685 posts, read 1,104,788 times
I would give it until 2, and then contact early intervention. He seems fine though. Especially since you said he's social and such. But, early intervention is EXTREMELY hard to get, at least in my state. But, since you said he is not talking at all, he probably will qualify. Older DD is in speech. She never had a high word count, but I didn't worry about that. It was just that once she started speaking, she was ALWAYS unclear. I knew right from 2 she would need speech. Don't let people talk you our of it either. My family claimed "Oh, she'll grow out of it." Well it can't hurt to get some sort of help now. She will be 4 in May and STILL very unclear and can't produce certain sounds. She didn't qualify for speech from early intervention, but did at 2 1/2 from the DOE. I will say, the therapists though IMO leave a lot fo be desired, so if your insurance covers private, I'd go that way.

We actually just switched therapists after a really nice, but BAD one for close to 8 months. Have a new one and in a month, she has her progressing. Night and day. The other one spent 30 min sessions doing god knows what , coloring and arts and crafts for an articulation delay, and would not give me any homework to do with her at home.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:38 PM

450 posts, read 507,464 times
I agree that you should discuss this with your pediatrician ASAP to get his ears checked and ask for further advise. But I also would ask you how much time you spend with your son looking at picture books? Challenge your son to point out the doggy or the kitty or the flower in the picture. Praise him every time he points it out correctly. If he gets it wrong and finds the kitty (when asked where the doggy was), just laugh and say "No silly, that's a kitty. Let's find the doggy". You can do this as you take him for walks too. Ask him if he can spot a bird or a tree or flower. If he understands what you are asking him to do, then I think he will eventually learn to say the words. Music is also very important in those early years. If you have some lullaby songs that you can put on during nap time or bed time, just put the track on "repeat". Both of my girls were "singing" by the age of 2! (They didn't get the words right, but they were trying)! HIGH FIVE!

Old 02-10-2015, 02:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
One other thing - if he said words and lost them, it is definitely a sign that something is wrong. It could be fluid in the ears, it could be a developmental delay. DO NOT WAIT! Get it checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting