Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better: Long paid maternity leaves or High quality day care and family friendly work place
Long paid maternity leaves are best 13 65.00%
Family friendly work places and high quality day care are best. 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times

Advertisements

I think you would need both options working in a balance. Sorry, can't vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM

509 posts, read 587,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Were I an employer I'd invest in both. Because I've seen the results.

Many years ago I worked for a company that was very progressive for the times on these sorts of things. People went the extra mile because it was such a great place to work. The employer had a TON of perks, paid very well, great benefits, treated the employees more than fairly, had flexible hours for working parents (not just moms) and productivity was through the roof because of it.

They were able to be very selective in who they hired because people were beating down the door to work there.
I work for a biotech company like this. Amazing benefits and big on work life balance- for singles, married people, and parents. The culture is one where everyone wants to contribute and make the company successful because it benefits us. In a work culture where most people job hop, I work with people who started at this company as interns and stay for 10, 20 years.

They offer maternity and paternity leave. Also, every six years, every employee gets a six week sabbatical.

I think it's ridiculous to act like women can't have kids and a career. Of course we can. And the majority of people do have children, so it's obviously possible. Women have been doing it for several decades now, and its only becoming more and more common, not less.

Additionally, the first six months are critical and women are healing from pregnancy, estaishing breast feeding, and bonding. It doesn't mean the other 18 years are pointless. If we took away maternity leave, as the OP proposed in another thread, that would indeed spell the death of females in the workplace. You can't pop out a child over the weekend and return to the office on Monday.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Both. America can afford both, its not a poor country.

Something that could help employers afford longer maternity leaves is using a system like they have here for sabbaticals. The employee goes on their sabbatical (or in this case, parental leave) and the employer takes on an unemployed person for the duration (not necessarily to cover the role left open, but to help ease the workload of the other employees) but not having to pay that unemployed person (because they continue to get their unemployment money). The employer doesn't lose out, the employee on leave can continue to get their normal pay (or reduced, whatever) and the unemployed person gains valuable work experience.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
^ What a great idea!

Natsku - do they make reasonable attempts to find unemployed people who can make themselves useful to the employer, and expand their own skills... or can it be hit and miss?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
^ What a great idea!

Natsku - do they make reasonable attempts to find unemployed people who can make themselves useful to the employer, and expand their own skills... or can it be hit and miss?
I'm not sure. I really don't know much about it, its just something I heard about but my Finnish isn't so good that I can really read up on it, but I know with labour market training at least, which is somewhat similar, the unemployed apply for it and are selected based on their previous training/skills so I expect they probably try and send people who are more suitable.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I go for family friendly policies for ALL. How about flex time for all and if you provide daycare for the parents, how about a gym for the non parents? Or if a parent needs to leave early one day the next day the childless person can leave early. Or providing paid leave for anyone who needs it regardless of being a parent.
This is a classic ME GENERATION response. This is like saying because I give a person who had diabetes a refrigerator to store their medications in I owe the rest of the employees a vending machine. Giving one person what they NEED to be a productive employee does not mean you owe someone else what they want. Working parents NEED child care. They can't work without it and if that child care is questionable, their concerns will impact other areas of their life like work. Just like taking care of the person with diabetes doesn't mean you owe everyone else, taking care of the parents doesn't mean you owe anyone else. This is just taking care of business. If work/life issues are impacting my employees ability to function, then I have a vested interest in helping fix that problem. I assume the single/childless person has more money and time to find their own gym. However, this may also be in my best interest but NOT because I gave the parents something. That's just the ME GENERATION SCREAMING ME!!! ME!!! ME!!! Health of my employees is also important but that's not relevent to this thread. That's a different need and a different issue.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't think we can afford both. I think we have to choose one. A divided house falls. These two are opposites.
Obviously I disagree... as do most of those whose responded.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Another component that I think should be included is that paid maternity leave, if federally funded, should not be based on the woman's salary. Rather at minimum wage or close to it with an income cap. This way the families that are struggling the most will benefit while higher earning women could just receive benefits from their employers, which would save on tax dollars to a degree.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Bad poll due to a fundamental flaw. A false dichotomy.

Part of a family friendly workplace is family leave.

It is clearly not an either/or situation.

For some families, staying home unpaid for X number of months is what works best. For other coming back early with a limited schedule is best.

Actually, that is sort of the definition of being family friendly, FLEXIBILITY.
This.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
My wife got a long maternity leave (4 months + 2 weeks prior to delivery) AND she is able to flex time (use PTO, etc) as needed to deal with child care related issues.
AND she gets great health insurance.
AND I am insured as her domestic partner.
AND there are discounts on gym memberships (we have a home gym, so we don't do it) AND discounts on your contribution if you belong to a gym.

THAT is a family friendly work place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting