Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better: Long paid maternity leaves or High quality day care and family friendly work place
Long paid maternity leaves are best 13 65.00%
Family friendly work places and high quality day care are best. 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,909,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is a classic ME GENERATION response. This is like saying because I give a person who had diabetes a refrigerator to store their medications in I owe the rest of the employees a vending machine. Giving one person what they NEED to be a productive employee does not mean you owe someone else what they want. Working parents NEED child care. They can't work without it and if that child care is questionable, their concerns will impact other areas of their life like work. Just like taking care of the person with diabetes doesn't mean you owe everyone else, taking care of the parents doesn't mean you owe anyone else. This is just taking care of business. If work/life issues are impacting my employees ability to function, then I have a vested interest in helping fix that problem. I assume the single/childless person has more money and time to find their own gym. However, this may also be in my best interest but NOT because I gave the parents something. That's just the ME GENERATION SCREAMING ME!!! ME!!! ME!!! Health of my employees is also important but that's not relevent to this thread. That's a different need and a different issue.
Then I go for none since when an employer favors one group or the other it is discrimination. I'll never understand the whole childcare excuse because I know so many people who either run daycares or have relatives who can watch the kids. I worked at a company with childcare and a gym and it was wonderful place for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,266,429 times
Quote:
To those of you who think long paid leaves are the way to go. What do you think they will accomplish? How do they benefit the company? What will be the evidence that they are a good thing? Will the children turn out differently?
This had been explained so many times already, why don't you just read those answers instead of asking the same question over and over? Do you just not like the answers? Do you not think its important that the mother and child are healthier, better bonded, the mother is able to return to work less stressed and thus be able to work better? It benefits the company because a less stressed employee is generally a better working employee, but why do we even care how it benefits the company? The company should not be our main concern when it comes to the rights of parents and infants.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,215,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
This had been explained so many times already, why don't you just read those answers instead of asking the same question over and over?
I have a guess as to the answer to this. I think this particular poster has deep seated, subconscious guilt over how little time she has spent and continues to spend with her daughters. If this is THE right way to do things, then SHE has done the right thing. All of the outcomes she chooses and all of the benefits are carefully crafted to support the house of cards she has built. Anything that she can't "refute" with logical fallacies, she ignores. Like I suspect she will ignore your post.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I have a guess as to the answer to this. I think this particular poster has deep seated, subconscious guilt over how little time she has spent and continues to spend with her daughters. If this is THE right way to do things, then SHE has done the right thing. All of the outcomes she chooses and all of the benefits are carefully crafted to support the house of cards she has built. Anything that she can't "refute" with logical fallacies, she ignores. Like I suspect she will ignore your post.
Makes sense.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,505,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
This had been explained so many times already, why don't you just read those answers instead of asking the same question over and over? Do you just not like the answers? Do you not think its important that the mother and child are healthier, better bonded, the mother is able to return to work less stressed and thus be able to work better? It benefits the company because a less stressed employee is generally a better working employee, but why do we even care how it benefits the company? The company should not be our main concern when it comes to the rights of parents and infants.
Well of course we must care about the good of the company....if the company goes out of business nobody benefits. On the other hand, a company which values it's employees as being it's most valuable asset and is run accordingly can benefit everyone, from employees to stockholders, by attracting and keeping highly qualified workers. Win-win.

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-15-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well of course we must care about the good of the company....if the company goes out of business nobody benefits. On the other hand, a company which values it's employees as being it's most valuable asset and is run accordingly can benefit everyone, from employees to stockholders, by attracting and keeping highly qualified workers. Win-win.
Yeah it really is a win-win situation.

I do understand of course that we don't want companies going out of business but they shouldn't be the main concern. The main concern should be what is for the good of society and taking care of families is just that. But I don't think it should all fall on the companies shoulders, parental leaves should be subsidised by the State (even if that means higher taxes) so the companies don't have to pay full wages to employees on their leave (the way it works here is that the State pays a certain amount, I think its about 15 euros a day, which it pays to the employer while the employer pays a certain percentage of the parent's wages which eases the burden of the employer and unemployed parents get the State payment directly to them)

Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,210,141 times
Quote:
To those of you who think long paid leaves are the way to go. What do you think they will accomplish? How do they benefit the company? What will be the evidence that they are a good thing? Will the children turn out differently?
Go re-read the post that got you riled up - I already provided links on all you are requesting here, and it would be redundant.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,476,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This is my feeling exactly.

Until my son can talk and give me a clear account of what happened to him, I will be damned before I leave him with strangers, least of all an institutional 4:1 infant to caregiver situation.

Sorry if that makes his mother and me selfish psychotics. In my culture, kids ARE the most precious thing ever.
I realize that doesn't jive with what many people think, but I don't apologize for it.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 PM

970 posts, read 2,217,177 times
Google gives 5 months of paid maternity leave, which can be used towards a period of working half-time as well. They also have a whole list of other employee benefits, and consistently get voted one of the best places to work as a result. Last time I checked, they weren't struggling financially.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
Google gives 5 months of paid maternity leave, which can be used towards a period of working half-time as well. They also have a whole list of other employee benefits, and consistently get voted one of the best places to work as a result. Last time I checked, they weren't struggling financially.
Google-where you get to choose which 16 hours of the day to work. It is an open secret these free meals, on-site dry cleaning, etc are there to keep people at the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting