Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:01 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
The second Forbes article linked in the OP is so important. We need to consider how that jock / rape culture dynamic is present within the military and throughout American society in general. Individual parents talking to their own children about such matters is of course noble, but a major cultural shift would be necessary to truly address the larger issue.
Yes, a major cultural shift MAY be needed, but too many of us just shrug our shoulders instead of trying to work with those that do care.

Start now with the younger ones. Set a good example. It may be the start of the major shift.

I think a good start to be to abolish high school team sports. Football has become the tail that ways the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Parents talking to their children is how "major cultural shifts" begin.
Well, it's certainly part of it. However, the same parent who preaches against the jock / rape culture can actually turn around and participate in it in other areas of life, thus furthering and promoting such a culture while instructing his own children against it.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
I have a 13 year old daughter. Yes we have talked about rape, a little at a time. One of the things I made sure to tell her is that whatever the situation, no matter what time it is or where she is or who she is with, if she needs me to come get her I will. I will barge into a party if she wants me to or I will wait quietly down the street. She will not get in trouble for asking me for help. Ever. My son is 11 and we haven't really begun those conversations yet. But he sees how I treat his mother and other women, and that is with all respect. That is to me where it starts.

I have great difficulty discussing the Steubenville case without lapsing into severe profanity.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Yes, a major cultural shift MAY be needed, but too many of us just shrug our shoulders instead of trying to work with those that do care.

Start now with the younger ones. Set a good example. It may be the start of the major shift.

I think a good start to be to abolish high school team sports. Football has become the tail that ways the dog.
Now there's where we differ -and most people for that matter. High school sports do infinitely more good for society than they do bad.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Now there's where we differ -and most people for that matter. High school sports do infinitely more good for society than they do bad.
Infinitely more? Overstating your case a bit, don't you think?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
I think high school and college sports are a very valuable experience for youth, but I also think its importance has been hyperinflated the more it is intertwined with money and prestige, and that tends to lead to the bad behavior of players and coaches being ignored or overlooked. That is the problem I have. Players and coaches should be held to the same standards as everyone else.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
it will be a cold day in hell before high school sports are done away with. In the south-well all over the country it is a right of passage. I think it is still possible to have high school sports and still teach our young people how to act responsibly.

The military has set a terrible example as far as sexual crimes go. Even after a rape conviction the good ole boy network lets the convicted perp go free. How is this not condoning rape? As long as men have a wink wink, nudge nudge attitude about women and sex young boys will follow their lead.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Infinitely more? Overstating your case a bit, don't you think?
I do not believe so.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
No, I do not talk to my kids about rape per se but I do tell them when they're older about leaving even a can of coke or sprite unattended. They don't set their own curfews, they are given a curfew and know they have to be in by a certain reasonable time and they are not allowed to go to parties where no adult is supervising, and I have to know where the party is, who is giving the party.

I don't really talk to my kids about murder either -- I don't tell them not to murder and I don't tell them they might get murdered, it's more a general common sense about not picking up strangers, not hanging out with people they don't know, and definitely no wild parties with alcohol, drugs and sex.

I'm not much different when it comes to parenting than my dad -- we were all given a curfew and about the last thing we'd have done is come staggering into the house drunk and passing out from being some place other than what we'd told him.

Pretty sad that this rape happened well after midnight and the girl woke up in the morning naked in some basement of a house she didn't know. You'd wonder why the parents had no clue where she was -- and apparently did not care one iota where she was all night.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Thanks for bringing this subject up, Zim. Yes, I did talk to my boys and girl about rape when I was raising them. I taught the boys that no means NO and that they were never to put themselves into a situation where they could end up being considered a "rapist"....and to ALWAYS be a protector, should they even be near what something like that was taking place. My daughter was taught every lesson possible, to protect her from anything like that happening to her, as well as being taught the same as my boys. You HELP! You PROTECT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting