Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would like to see the data broken out showing 18-24 vs 25-30. Many in the younger bracket are still in school. We pay our son's cell phone bill. We also pay for college. We anticipate that he will be independent after he graduates. For now, we keep him on the family plan and we pay the bill.

What's the big deal?
That's what I was thinking. An 18 year old away at college, especially if the parents are still paying for college and their room and board isn't living on his/her own anyhow and wouldn't have money to pay a cell phone any more than he/she would have money to buy clothes or books for college.

I think 18-24 is a whole lot different than a 25-35 year old.

And what if the parents have a plan and the child pays them for his portion of the plan? I have tracfone with the family plan which costs $5.50 for each kid. If they run out of minutes they pay to have more minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
It's pretty economical for a whole family to be on one plan.

It's so expensive to go on it alone.

My kids will be on my plan and wen they can they'll start paying for their line and ill put their kids on too.

It's much more cost efficient that way.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Isn't that what prepaid phones are for? A fully stocked plan really isn't a necessity, though I agree that having a cell in case of an emergency is a smart move. It doesn't need a plan, and prepaids are becoming increasingly popular.

It might just be due to how we were raised (I grew up poor, DH more wealthy but his parents made him earn his keep) but we feel that if you are scraping by on your bills, you probably shouldn't have a cell phone, unless it is a low cost one - it's a bill that can't be afforded. When you do finally make more money, you can debate in your mind if it is a worthwhile expenditure, since scraping by usually seems to teach the value of a dollar.

I suppose this is the new trend, though. I have a cousin - married, in his 50s, three kids who he can't afford, who has his stepmother manage his finances and debts because he can't be responsible to do it himself. Obviously this is an extreme example, but he is the only person I know whose parents pay for a cell phone.
I have a prepaid phone. Works out to around $8/month because I use it so infrequently. When my daughter is old enough (what age do kids get phones these days?) to have a phone I'll set her up with a prepaid one that will be considered her allowance. If she uses up all her money then she'll have to wait until next month. Hopefully it will help teach her how to budget and have some responsibility.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
I have a prepaid phone. Works out to around $8/month because I use it so infrequently. When my daughter is old enough (what age do kids get phones these days?) to have a phone I'll set her up with a prepaid one that will be considered her allowance. If she uses up all her money then she'll have to wait until next month. Hopefully it will help teach her how to budget and have some responsibility.
I'm with ya. No plans for us; Tracfones for everyone. We got my DD her own Tracfone at age 10, when she started a new school that was quite a distance from our town and we wanted her to be able to contact us if need be.

She's too young to earn money outside the house but she has to do chores all week (dishes and her own laundry) to get her minutes replenished. We're about to give my son, who's only 8, a hand-me-down Tracfone that none of us uses any more. He is actually more mature about money than DD (he saves his gift money until he has enough for serious Lego damage, whereas DD is always buying candy and soda and can't keep a dollar in her wallet. I expect he'll have thousands of minutes in a month from doing extra chores. LOL.)

Old 02-10-2015, 09:23 AM

11 posts, read 8,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We do pay the phone bills for our boys, but they are still in college. In some cases, adult children living at home stay on their parents' plans because it is much cheaper. I know others who get a discounted rate through their jobs, making it pretty inexpensive to keep the phones on one account, even when the "kids" are out of the house.
And that's fine that they're on the same bill, but they should be expected to reimburse their parents every month for that benefit!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:29 AM

Parents: LET your adult children grow up, finally! Once they're out of college, cut the cord for gosh sakes! They can work like you (hopefully) did, and maybe 2 or 3 jobs! Parents don't want to cut the chord because THEY cannot handle letting their children grow up and/or are paying for their love. It's time for parents to grow up as well. Maybe you need counseling if you can't let go. Further, it's our responsibility to teach and train our children to take care of themselves so that when they become an adult, they have the skills to take care of themselves. Teach them to save money, to work hard as children and teens, to have pride in their abilities, etc. Quit spoon feeding them!

Young Adults: STOP MOOCHING off your parents. Once you've graduated from college and/or moved out to live on your own, get a job or 2 or 3 and pay for your own life. In fact, while you're in college, get a job and pay for some of your own expenses, even if your parents are funding things. You are an adult, remember? Act like one. Have some pride.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Most young adults I know are doing well just to keep a roof over their head and food in their bellies. There are very few with lots of disposable income. And, I think a cell phone offers as much security as AAA, probably more. How often does a car break down?

The fact is, in today's day and age, a cell phone IS a necessity. Have you tried to find a pay phone lately? Outside the airport, I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Once the plan is set up, the cost to add lines to a cell phone plan is very minimal. Since my husband and I use our cells almost exclusively, we will keep signing that contract, and allowing whichever kids want to stay on it to do so.
Mattie, and keeping your children on your plan to save THEM money is quite a good idea, with the requirement that they reimburse you e-very month, which means that you will have to text them their portion of the bill, e-very month. Kids need to learn responsibility.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridiculouss View Post
And that's fine that they're on the same bill, but they should be expected to reimburse their parents every month for that benefit!
It's sad that all you see is a monetary transaction.

Cell phone service can be a practical gift. If the parents can afford it...why can't they gift their child?

Old 02-10-2015, 02:45 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridiculouss View Post
Mattie, and keeping your children on your plan to save THEM money is quite a good idea, with the requirement that they reimburse you e-very month, which means that you will have to text them their portion of the bill, e-very month. Kids need to learn responsibility.
Well thank you for that advice. But, we'll decide when to start charging our kids for the expenses we still cover. They're doing quite well, responsibility-wise.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:10 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
My parents are on MY plan

They send me a check for the cost though every year, my parents are just like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting