Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Gosh... then why not calculate the % of the total minutes used and factor in the % of total texts!?! That would be even more fair, right?

LOL!

No way I would take more from my kids than their lines actually cost.
In fact, no way we take anything. We just pay the bill. As I said prior, $20 is no biggie for us to pick up. And having them each send $10 a month to us is ludicrous.
We have unlimited data, not necessary If one kid consistently went WAY over and made us pay extra in minutes, you bet they'd be paying for it. Their lines only cost $10-20 because the parents are kind enough to let them go on their plan. An equal split of it is still far, far less than what they'd be paying for their own.

It might be ludicrous to you, but a lot of parents feel this is a good "entry bill" to pay for young adults, to prepare them for the real world. We feel it teaches them responsibility, and hope they won't feel completely overwhelmed when the real bills start arriving. I remember getting my first rent bill in the mail for my first apartment... made that cell phone bill seem pretty inconsequential, and made me glad I lived in NYC and didn't need a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 AM

22,574 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post

It might be ludicrous to you, but a lot of parents feel this is a good "entry bill" to pay for young adults, to prepare them for the real world. We feel it teaches them responsibility, and hope they won't feel completely overwhelmed when the real bills start arriving. I remember getting my first rent bill in the mail for my first apartment... made that cell phone bill seem pretty inconsequential, and made me glad I lived in NYC and didn't need a car.
Meh.
My kids (29 and 26) are married, own their own homes/cars/etc, pay their own utilities/insurances/student loans/etc.
I think they have been well prepared for the real world, and they function well within that world, even with us taking care of the cell phones.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
Quote:
Meh.
My kids (29 and 26) are married, own their own homes/cars/etc, pay their own utilities/insurances/student loans/etc.
I think they have been well prepared for the real world, and they function well within that world, even with us taking care of the cell phones.
Wait, they own a house, etc, and you still pay for the phones? Why? I'm asking this seriously - I just don't understand it. They haven't called you up to say, "Mom, don't worry, I can handle my own bills" ? Do they have kids and spouses who are all going to go on your plan?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
Quote:
Meh.
I agree. While we don't pay for any regular expenses for our 25 and 28 year old "kids", we do give them money occasionally. We do so when we want to and for things we know are difficult for them to afford like some extra spending money for a trip or a plane ticket to a friend's wedding or yet another bridesmaid's dress. They are both highly responsible with their money and never ask for parental contributions and when we contribute, they are most thankful. If your kids don't feel entitled to your help, then you're doing it right (as you clearly are).

Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Wait, they own a house, etc, and you still pay for the phones? Why? I'm asking this seriously - I just don't understand it. They haven't called you up to say, "Mom, don't worry, I can handle my own bills" ? Do they have kids and spouses who are all going to go on your plan?

No, they did not call and ask that.
Because we told them (upon their graduation from college) that we would just keep them on our plan. We know that they cannot get a plan as cheaply. DH and I think of it as doing something nice for them.

And, like I said before, asking them for $10 a month is ludicrous. It's not like we need that $10....

Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
If your kids don't feel entitled to your help, then you're doing it right (as you clearly are).
They don't... and thanks!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,939 times
I live at home but I pay for my own phone and also my mothers.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
OK so I've looks at my cell phone bills $140/month for 3 lines (my dad usage is apx 90 on peek minutes a months (have 1500)) He makes all his long distance call from the cell. No Data/No Txt's My Son(16) and I both have smart phones, We use about 1000 Peek Minutes a month (mostly me calling my office).

Have unlimited Txt, Unlimited data, Unlimited Off-peek 7p-7a & Weekends, Unlimited Cell to Cell.

How much of the $140 should my dad (79y) be paying?

Cost me about $12 a month to add his line ($10+2taxes).

Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM

According to some posters above, $46.66 (1/3 the bill).

As far as I am concerned, $12, if he insists on paying.
Personally, I would cover the cost, as that is something nice to do for someone.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,069 times
Quote:
It might be ludicrous to you, but a lot of parents feel this is a good "entry bill" to pay for young adults, to prepare them for the real world. We feel it teaches them responsibility, and hope they won't feel completely overwhelmed when the real bills start arriving.
Maybe this is the difference in our thinking. My daughter is living on her own, paying her own rent, power, internet, car insurance, etc... asking her to pay $10 for her phone seems silly as she has already proved that she can handle "real bills" and doesn't need the lesson of an "entry bill". Asking her to pay 1/5th of our phone bill puts extra stress on her and makes it harder for her to succeed, so I wouldn't even think of asking this of her.

I am talking about grown adults who are still on their parents phone plans for the savings, convenience and it makes me feel good that I can help her in this very small way. The above statement would be more appropriate to apply to a "fresh out of high school" teen who is living at home (imho) who needs to learn about bills and managing money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting