Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, thanks so much for the tips and advice. This is just what I was looking for. I have to realize that rivalry and jealousy will exist even if you try to avoid it and also I should let the two of them sort things out. A lot of times though both of them come to me to referee. Also, the little one is a scrapper and has no problems swatting at her bigger sister! It's actually a comical sight if it wasn't for the fact that I discourage hitting in our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 03:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Teach them to cheer for each other. Teach them that life is hard and a victory for one family member is a victory for the entire family. Teach them (and make sure they know) that you love each of them for what they are and accept them for who they are. Don't compare them to each other. Don't let them compare themselves to their siblings. Make sure they know that they are their own person. Teach them that they are each going to be good at something and they don't have to be good at what the other sibling is good at. Makes sure they know you love them and are proud of them for themselves. Make sure they know their value as a human isn't tied into what their sibling does. Or doesn't do.

Individuals. Each a part of the family . And the family wins when one person wins.

(This is one of the greatest gifts my parents gave my siblings and I. It also kept the property damage at a minimum.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
One good piece of advice is that if two (or more) sibs are fighting, etc, both should be disciplined. You can't always tell who "started it", who provoked the one who started it, etc. It's not my original thought; I read it in a "parenting" book that was mostly about health care. It worked for me. Sometimes you find out years later that something was not as it seemed at the time.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hey guys, thanks so much for the tips and advice. This is just what I was looking for. I have to realize that rivalry and jealousy will exist even if you try to avoid it and also I should let the two of them sort things out. A lot of times though both of them come to me to referee. Also, the little one is a scrapper and has no problems swatting at her bigger sister! It's actually a comical sight if it wasn't for the fact that I discourage hitting in our house.

Yes. All hitting should be done outside the house. Especially if you have a lot of antiques. Church and resturaunts are much better palces for hitting.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
One good piece of advice is that if two (or more) sibs are fighting, etc, both should be disciplined. You can't always tell who "started it", who provoked the one who started it, etc. It's not my original thought; I read it in a "parenting" book that was mostly about health care. It worked for me. Sometimes you find out years later that something was not as it seemed at the time.
We did this too. Who started it is irrelevant. If you did not start it, you failed to prevent it. Both will be sitting in their bed the rest of the evening or day.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:53 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
As others have mentioned, it's so important that your youngest does not get more attention than your older child. It can cause a great deal of resentment that will only cause more problems later. It is not fair for an older child to feel as if they have been replaced by the younger one. Younger children also need to learn to respect their older sibling's privacy and property, as well as learning that they DO have to share their mom and dad with the older sibling.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We did this too. Who started it is irrelevant. If you did not start it, you failed to prevent it. Both will be sitting in their bed the rest of the evening or day.
Nooooooo. That just teaches the younger one to be the instigator who is willing to risk punishment to get the older one in trouble. I agree, things aren't always as they seem, but that also means sometimes the younger one is to blame.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Nooooooo. That just teaches the younger one to be the instigator who is willing to risk punishment to get the older one in trouble. I agree, things aren't always as they seem, but that also means sometimes the younger one is to blame.
I'd hate to be your younger child if that's your opinion of him/her! Honestly "who started it" generally IS irrelevant. Both kids are continuing it.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
One thing that seems to help, is saying things like, "I'll be soo glad when she grows out of this stage and gets to be your age." Let the older one know that you prefer her behavior, that you enjoy talking to her about things, etc.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
One thing that seems to help, is saying things like, "I'll be soo glad when she grows out of this stage and gets to be your age." Let the older one know that you prefer her behavior, that you enjoy talking to her about things, etc.
That helps? It seems to me it would just make the younger one angrier! It would have with my younger one, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting