Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I'm in total agreement on all of this. We were recently in a restaurant and the woman a couple tables away talked on her cell the entire time we were there. And sitting with her was her 7-8 year old daughter. It made me want to cry. Put the damn phone down and spend the meal talking with your child!

My other pet peeve on media over interaction is the proliferation of DVDs in cars. Do you really need to queue up a movie to drive your kid to and from school? I hated it when mine starting driving because the drive home from school was such a wonderful time to connect and learn about their day (and their lives). I understand the appeal of a DVD player in the car for a long trip, but a 15 minute trip? Really?

That's how it should be.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-26-2013 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
....Which brings up another topic, one that I'm guilty of(except social media,i'm not a member)...the use of social media and texting....Creating a huge personal communication barrier. Sometimes its easier to text or send a message on facebook, but don't forget if its someone that has some meaning in your life its worth taking the time to either stop and see them or pick up the phone and call them, have the personal connection.

Would love to hear any opinions, thoughts or experiences. Obviously this is just the surface, we can go much more into depth, but my son just woke up...Time to show him some love!
My own entirely negative take on the current state of personal communication in the U.S, the U.K. and probably most of the Westernized world is this: Decades ago people often reached out to other people because of the situations the other people were in whether good or bad. I think this has largely become defunct. A huge number of people seem to like to contact other people simply to show this is how I feel about what is happening to you, see look at me caring, look at me! look at me!...caring about you. LOOK AT ME!

Life is entertainment and everything is simply Show Time for the ego.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
In other news, I have lost my cell phone...

Old 03-27-2013, 01:23 PM

61 posts, read 115,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
There is always the need to balance technology and moderation. . .

Yet the greater need is not to judge those with whoom you only interact with on a small sliver of time. Either you are a real weirdo (not paying attention to your own kids, and staring at this guy the entire time you were in a restaurant) or you only looked up occasionaly and "caught him on the phone"

You dont' know why he was on the phone, was it emergency? Death in family? He left work early but needed to keep in touch? Trying to balance work life? Or facebook?

You don't know, you can't know. So apply moderation on your own to yourself, and leave the judgment at home.
A bit of a hypocritical statement telling me to to leave the judgement at home after you imply that I'm a weirdo! "You don't know and you can't know" what allowed myself and my son,(sitting on my knee at that point in time) the time to hang out and look around. Its hard to ignore someone when their kids are raising hell being loud, you tend to glance over quite a bit and say wth is going on? Then you say, 20 mins of this ruckass and every time i glance over there the father pays no mind to his children? Like I said I don't know what he was doing on his phone, and I dont care. But I do know what his kids were doing, and I did care because they were disruptive. At that point in time, put down the phone and address your children. That was what the original post was directed toward. When you see that parent on a phone ignoring their children while they are being disruptive. I could care less what you are doing on it....But guess what, when you decide to have that child, he or she becomes your responsibility. And for the most part it will only take a couple seconds to love your children and put phone phone aside.

Love your children and make your phone wait! Don't love your phone and make your children wait!

Old 03-30-2013, 03:57 AM

391 posts, read 840,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
Would love to hear any opinions, thoughts or experiences. Obviously this is just the surface, we can go much more into depth, but my son just woke up...Time to show him some love!
Palmer. You have no idea how JEALOUS I am of some families that have the money that they can spend so much time together with no issues besides the obvious discipline issue sometimes. I work a lot, the world doesn't need to know how much I do, but when I finally get to come home, I pick up my child and hold him for 30 minutes and sometimes longer. I'm just tearing up thinking about it....

Old 03-30-2013, 02:10 PM

61 posts, read 115,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post
Palmer. You have no idea how JEALOUS I am of some families that have the money that they can spend so much time together with no issues besides the obvious discipline issue sometimes. I work a lot, the world doesn't need to know how much I do, but when I finally get to come home, I pick up my child and hold him for 30 minutes and sometimes longer. I'm just tearing up thinking about it....
Aside from everything else your child knows you love them! Which is great, and someday all your hard work will pay off! I would say there is no reason for you to be jealous, sounds like you have everything in order!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:47 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,149 times
I haven't read all of the replies, but I saw something on Facebook yesterday and it was pretty true to point. It was a game to be played in a restaurant where everyone puts their cellphone on the table, one on top of the other. Everyone eats and attempts conversation but the first one to check their phone pays for the meal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting