Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 AM

100 posts, read 161,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don't see a problem either.

Every teacher had a first teaching assignment, and that would be right out of college for most of them.
I agree 100%. Once she's a little more seasoned I hope she grows into a wonderful teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
My second daughter turned 22 in June before she began teaching high school in August - in the same high school she had graduated from! The only problem it presented was some people assuming she was a student until she informed them otherwise. She was always a bit more mature than her peers and carries herself confidently and that helps her appear older than she is.

The few students who didn't give her respect didn't give any teacher respect. The vast majority adore her and respect her at the same time. If anyone truly felt odd having someone slightly older teaching them it was never brought up or affected anything.

She has been teaching now for 5 years and things are still going very well for her. She has taught some younger siblings of her classmates and it may feel a little odd at first, but they soon learn she is not their friend no matter her relationship with their sibling. Once they graduate they can call her by her first name and friend her on FB...but before that, no way.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Since it seems to be a problem for some posters (even though the teacher has, presumably, completed the necessary requirements for a teaching degree and credentials. Possibly she was accelerated during high school and skipped a grade or two) there's only one thing to do.

Run her out of the profession. Do this by complaining to the Principal, complaining to the school board, demanding your child be transferred from her class and spead rumors about her. Depending where you are you can say she's a lesbian or slept with various school system functionaries to get her job. Maybe both to cover the all the bases. You can enlist a staff member to help, there's always one in every school that undercuts others.

After all, it's for the children.

In case no one caught it I was being sarcastic.

Mrs. NBP also told me to delete this as 2nd daughter is a first year teacher and someone may see this and decide to do my suggestions on her. As Mrs. NBP said, "There's crazies everywhere".

Last edited by North Beach Person; 03-28-2013 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
What matters is if the teacher can do the job. This means carrying authority and being able to manage the classroom (most important - without it, no learning can take place). Kids will challege or test any teacher of any age.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,235 times
I sub'd when I was 21 at a highschool. The weird part was that some of the kids were already my friends on facebook. WEIRD. I wont graduate until 2014 with my BA and by then ill be 24. Im teaching middle school though.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
When I was in college there was a new 14 yr old student who got her BA degree when she was 18.....she could have been a teacher at that age ..but she was going on for advanced degrees. I do think she would have been too young to teach a high school class.....but she was on a fast track for pure science anyway.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:35 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
Personally I don't think it's the best idea....that age is way too close to the teenagers. I think at that young of an age they should start out in elementary school. Just my opinion. I'm sure it happens and works out fine, but I personally think it can also be a problem.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Having a secondary certification and specializing in AP Calc, trig and geometry (for example) hardly helps a kindergartener!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM

17,367 posts, read 16,511,485 times
I think I would have mixed feelings if one of my kids had a very young teacher.

On the one hand, as a parent, I might worry about the teacher's lack of experience. However, younger teachers *tend* to be pretty up on the latest technology in the classroom so that could certainly be a big benefit to my kids.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
Personally I don't think it's the best idea....that age is way too close to the teenagers. I think at that young of an age they should start out in elementary school. Just my opinion. I'm sure it happens and works out fine, but I personally think it can also be a problem.
[quote=Pitt Chick;28879814]Having a secondary certification and specializing in AP Calc, trig and geometry (for example) hardly helps a kindergartener![/quote]

It is really sad that so many people think that teaching elementary is "easier" to teach than high school.

And, it is also sad that some people are only concerned about the tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of young teachers who "cross the line" with their high school age charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting