Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times

Advertisements

I think it is a good idea too. Gads, I can't imagine how I used to do it...wrestling with a toddler and an infant getting in and out of the car back in the day. Safety is important.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:01 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
This isn't anything new. A few stores by me have had them for years.

I think it's a good idea --- if you have small children, you would understand. It's not for the parents but for the safety of the children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Had them for ages in the UK and I've seen them in the bigger carparks here in Finland. They're very useful as they are usually wider than normal spaces which helps a lot with getting babies/toddlers out of carseats or taking out an infant carseat.
Many other countries have them. You know countries where people accept them for what they are, offering a safe spot for a parent to unload a stroller, car seat, toddlers, etc. Of course for some people here it is obviously an infringing of their rights, and they must take exception to it.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 03-29-2013 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
No one sees that there is an issue that parents are now getting the same treatment as the handicapped? No one takes issue with that? The elderly man who uses a walked and needs a wheelchair to shop is parking in the same spots as the mom with 5 kids?
No...There obviously are different designated parking spots. What's with all the sour grapes comments. Protecting children is a good thing.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
No one sees that there is an issue that parents are now getting the same treatment as the handicapped? No one takes issue with that? The elderly man who uses a walked and needs a wheelchair to shop is parking in the same spots as the mom with 5 kids?
The number of handicapped spots is generally set by law, or building requirements. It's not an either/or situation.

Maybe if so many people didn't speed through parking lots, we wouldn't need such spaces, though I really like the wider spaces for parents to be able to open their doors all the way to get out the kids and the equipment.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Parents aren't getting the same treatment as the handicapped as the spaces are protected like disabled spaces are (correct me if I'm wrong though) and people don't get fined for using them when they don't have children. I'm always seeing people without kids parking in them.

Also seen some carparks where they haven't had the parent and child spaces nearer the shop but just been wider and next to a walkway rather than in the middle of the carpark.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 AM

114 posts, read 231,901 times
they were nice back when i had a 3 year old, a 15 month old, a newborn, diaper bag and a purse and i would go to the store by myself, now that my newborn is almost 5 i never park in those spots my kids all know to watch for cars backing up and stay next to me, to me those spots should be used for parents like i was with 3 under 3 not lazy parents that dont want to teach there kids how to walk in a parking lot.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
This isn't anything new. A few stores by me have had them for years.

I think it's a good idea --- if you have small children, you would understand. It's not for the parents but for the safety of the children.
Nobody forced you to have those kids. You shouldnt be entitled to special privledges. You should have to take the walk like everybody else

Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Having kids is a choice. I don't see why the choice to be a parent is preferential. Handicapped individuals don't chose to be handicapped.

I was on crutches over the summer for 3 months. I walked like everyone else. Hazardous parking lots and all. Still managed to keep my life.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Having kids is a choice. I don't see why the choice to be a parent is preferential. Handicapped individuals don't chose to be handicapped.

I was on crutches over the summer for 3 months. I walked like everyone else. Hazardous parking lots and all. Still managed to keep my life.
You're really missing the point of the spaces...

Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklapps View Post
they were nice back when i had a 3 year old, a 15 month old, a newborn, diaper bag and a purse and i would go to the store by myself, now that my newborn is almost 5 i never park in those spots my kids all know to watch for cars backing up and stay next to me, to me those spots should be used for parents like i was with 3 under 3 not lazy parents that dont want to teach there kids how to walk in a parking lot.
Unfortunately, children are also run over/hit while innocently standing waiting next to their car while mom/dad gets their siblings in/out by cars pulling out/in/through the space next to them, hence the reason why many of these designated spots are wider.

Some in this thread assume a child has to be darting about to get hit. Not so. The fact is, small beings cannot be seen by drivers as well as someone who is 5'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting