Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
You're really missing the point of the spaces...
Kids managed to survive for centuries before they were created. Moms seemed to cope just fine as well.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Having kids is a choice. I don't see why the choice to be a parent is preferential. Handicapped individuals don't chose to be handicapped.

I was on crutches over the summer for 3 months. I walked like everyone else. Hazardous parking lots and all. Still managed to keep my life.

Isn't there something worthwhile going on that you can get riled up about today?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Kids managed to survive for centuries before they were created. Moms seemed to cope just fine as well.
Oh that is a stupid argument. Just in case you can't figure out why it is a stupid argument - people have survived for a very long time before many things were created but that doesn't make the creation of those things bad/pointless/mean to handicapped people. The spaces are useful for the reasons already outlined in this thread that you seem to have a problem comprehending but maybe if you try reading again you might get it. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Seriously, the people that don't like them are sticking their head in the sand. It isn't about distance to the store, it is a safer route through the parking lot. Now that my kids are in the mid single digits, I park close to sidewalks which are normally back around the side of the store. the distance is farther, but the route is safer. That is what i am looking for, a safer route for kids that are:

1. impulsive
2. too small to be seen by drivers in parking lots, especially backing up

Yes, I teach my kids to be safe, but they still do dumb things, like all little kids. i would like to minimize the chance for their dumb choices to seriously hurt or kill themselves.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 AM

114 posts, read 231,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Unfortunately, children are also run over/hit while innocently standing waiting next to their car while mom/dad gets their siblings in/out by cars pulling out/in/through the space next to them, hence the reason why many of these designated spots are wider.

Some in this thread assume a child has to be darting about to get hit. Not so. The fact is, small beings cannot be seen by drivers as well as someone who is 5'.
there are ways to get around that too, like have your kids all exit the car on the side that you are on, and the spots around my area are not any wider they are the same as any other spot just closer to the door and with a sign up for parking with children.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Quote:
I was on crutches over the summer for 3 months. I walked like everyone else. Hazardous parking lots and all. Still managed to keep my life.
So you're comparing yourself to a child then?

A 20-something who can look after herself. Gold star for you.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Seriously, the people that don't like them are sticking their head in the sand.
I am not against them. I just think they are stupid. But I do disagree with the head in the sand bit. I DO think that our culture tends to take the protection mechanisms too far and we do, more and more, raise less and less capable people.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
I don't know, I have found parking lots dangerous places. In parking lots people do very unpredictable things, couple that with unpredictable children and accidents happen a lot. That is one place I am in favor of creating a safer environment. I don't get why it is such a big deal. Before I had kids I parked farther away so I didn't have to deal with the mess closer to the store, but now with kids I like being closer to minimize the chance for accidents. As they get older I am fine with moving back away from the store.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why there are designated parking spaces at various grocery and retail stores for "families with children"?? Up front and center with the handicapped spots? Last time I checked, parents are still capable of walking like everyone else. Unless that changed recently and I'm somehow unaware of it.
Because the people who own the shopping centers can design their parking lots, and some of them have chosen this way to attract more customers.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Nobody forced you to have those kids. You shouldnt be entitled to special privledges. You should have to take the walk like everybody else
And would you apply the same thought process to someone who is disabled due to their own choices? Say someone who is in a wheelchair with oxygen due to smoking induced emphysema?

That was a choice, according to your "logic" they should not be entitled to handicapped parking spaces.

But as a society we have decided that those who have limited mobility, or even just a harder time to get from point A to point B OR those who provide their transportation are entitled to handicapped parking spaces. Well some pregnant women and parents of small children (and in my area the parking is limited to toddlers and infants) meet that criteria, they have limited mobility and a harder time getting somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting