Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Kids managed to survive for centuries before they were created. Moms seemed to cope just fine as well.
LOL! Centuries!!

Uh, there weren't cars, centuries ago. There certainly weren't modern supermarket strip malls with the number of cars in them that we have now.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am not against them. I just think they are stupid. But I do disagree with the head in the sand bit. I DO think that our culture tends to take the protection mechanisms too far and we do, more and more, raise less and less capable people.
Oh, for crying out loud! I don't think "family friendly" parking spaces are "over-protection". I think they're a good safety feature. Where I live, in the winter the parking lots are often full of snow and ice. It's dangerous enough.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
I can't believe the ignorance of some of the comments here. Some posters are automatically thinking it's for "lazy" moms or "obese" children. These are the same morons who would balk at someone having a Handicap Parking Permit/Plate because they don't "look disabled". STUPID.

People speed through parking lots, not paying attention, etc. Do you think they would be able to STOP if a small child darts out in front of them? Or would they even see the kid who might be walking a little ahead of mom/dad?

The whole idea behind the "Parents with small children" parking is for CHILDREN'S SAFETY!

Maybe they should put speed bumps every 10 feet in every parking lot. that would slow the idiots down.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM

509 posts, read 587,791 times
I cannot believe the big deal some people are making over such a small, minor thing.

Oh wait. Maybe I can.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, for crying out loud! I don't think "family friendly" parking spaces are "over-protection". I think they're a good safety feature. Where I live, in the winter the parking lots are often full of snow and ice. It's dangerous enough.

There is where differ, it seems.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I can't believe the ignorance of some of the comments here. Some posters are automatically thinking it's for "lazy" moms or "obese" children. These are the same morons who would balk at someone having a Handicap Parking Permit/Plate because they don't "look disabled". STUPID.

People speed through parking lots, not paying attention, etc. Do you think they would be able to STOP if a small child darts out in front of them? Or would they even see the kid who might be walking a little ahead of mom/dad?
The parent should not be allowing ANY DARTING OPPORTUNITIES when they have small children. Good god. When your children were small, did you? Am I the only one recalling getting my purse ready while sitting in the car, walking over to the child's door, either carrying or FIRMLY holding the child's hand with a unh uhn parking lots are dangerous for so much as a tiny tug? Rinse and repeat that for 5 years and you are going to be getting a lot more bang for your educational buck than saying OK now at 5 you are "old enough" to walk in the parking lot without holding hands.

I don't care if companies choose to do this. One more thing to roll eyes at.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
The parent should not be allowing ANY DARTING OPPORTUNITIES when they have small children. Good god. When your children were small, did you? Am I the only one recalling getting my purse ready while sitting in the car, walking over to the child's door, either carrying or FIRMLY holding the child's hand with a unh uhn parking lots are dangerous for so much as a tiny tug? Rinse and repeat that for 5 years and you are going to be getting a lot more bang for your educational buck than saying OK now at 5 you are "old enough" to walk in the parking lot without holding hands.

I don't care if companies choose to do this. One more thing to roll eyes at.
How many kids do you have? More than one under 5 ever?

Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How many kids do you have? More than one under 5 ever?
Yes, 2 under 5. Well they WERE 2 under 5.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
It's good you were such a perfect mother, with such perfect kids that neither ever did anything unexpected. Good for you. The rest of us have not been so blessed.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
And you've never had one slip out of your hand? Maybe my toddler is just unusually strong and quick but she has slipped out of my grip quite a few times (time to break out the reins I think!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting