Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 02:34 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,121,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
It's illegal in my state too. Some people just don't care and that definitely applies to mommy and daddies who are texting, answering emails, adjusting ties or applying makeup in the care while driving with children, only to then pull into a "parents with children" spot. Oooh, now I get it, you care about your child's safety when it's convenient for you.
I told my DH to pull over a while back. He was fiddling with his music player. I told him to pull over and let us out. he has not repeated that.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:35 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,121,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
World Problems:

1) Hunger
2) Clean Water
3) Infectious diseases
4) Illiteracy
5) Malaria

85766348) Family parking spaces
Does that mean we can't talk about it?

Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,503,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Does that mean we can't talk about it?
Of course you can. It's about priorities, and it's obviously important to some people. Oddly.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,630,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Give me a break. If you wanted to keep on top of your kids, you could. If you suck, it is your own damned fault.
That is a very narrow view.

My mother is a very spry grandmother, she does not need nor would ever get a handicap sticker but when she was babysitting my daughter and little sister (not her child) when they were toddler she would certainly use the toddler parking. She just knew it was safer for everyone involved, including the other people in the parking lot, if she had the shortest distance to wrangle two 3yos into wherever they were going. She certainly didn't "suck" at anything.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,630,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Ugh, they don't walk but it's in general walking distance. Two miles or less. Idk how many people in assisted living/therapy centers are walking a mile to the grocery store and back with groceries in hand.
Those people are eligible for handicap stickers

I never use emoticons but

Old 03-29-2013, 02:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,989,712 times
When my kids were little, I didn't care how close we were to the entry/exit doors, but I parked as close as I could to the place where you return the carts. When you're getting out of the car, it helps because you can walk two steps, grab a cart, then unload your kids from the car and put them into the cart (or in the sling or however you choose to transport your kids while shopping). After shopping, you pile the kids back into the car directly from the cart (or sling or whatever), unload the shopping cart, and then it's two steps to return the cart to the cart return area. Your kids never leave your sight and are never more than two or so steps away. They are also always "contained" - either in the sling, the cart, or the car - so there's no chance of them running wild and crazy on you and risking getting hurt.

I think it's a parents responsibility - not the store's or other driver's - to make sure their kids are not running around parking lots or getting hit by cars backing up, etc. That's irresponsible parenting. It's your job to keep your kids safe and if you have a rambunctious one (and I've known a few! ) who won't listen or is tricky to handle and keep in check, then a good parent will make wiser choices as far as whether or not to bring them along for the shopping, etc.

And I can say this because I am a parent. (I can't stand it when people who aren't parents form opinions on what is good or not-so-good parenting. You don't have a clue until you actually are one.)

I was a cashier for many years at a natural foods grocer, and there were quite a few parents that would come shopping with their wild kiddo's in tow. It was as if they expected the employees in the store to discipline their kids. One time, a mother asked me to tell her kid no, when he kept asking for candy. I told her, "Well, he's not my son, so I don't feel comfortable with that." Those "families with children" spaces are in response to that sort of irresponsible parenting, not that all parents who use them are irresponsible - that's not what I mean. They were made in response to the lack of proper parental supervision.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM

487 posts, read 857,707 times
Didn't read all the posts....but Hey, special parking for parents with kids? Plus the parking for pregnant woman>
I feel cheated.....

Old 03-29-2013, 02:49 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
When my kids were little, I didn't care how close we were to the entry/exit doors, but I parked as close as I could to the place where you return the carts. When you're getting out of the car, it helps because you can walk two steps, grab a cart, then unload your kids from the car and put them into the cart (or in the sling or however you choose to transport your kids while shopping). After shopping, you pile the kids back into the car directly from the cart (or sling or whatever), unload the shopping cart, and then it's two steps to return the cart to the cart return area. Your kids never leave your sight and are never more than two or so steps away. They are also always "contained" - either in the sling, the cart, or the car - so there's no chance of them running wild and crazy on you and risking getting hurt.

I think it's a parents responsibility - not the store's or other driver's - to make sure their kids are not running around parking lots or getting hit by cars backing up, etc. That's irresponsible parenting. It's your job to keep your kids safe and if you have a rambunctious one (and I've known a few! ) who won't listen or is tricky to handle and keep in check, then a good parent will make wiser choices as far as whether or not to bring them along for the shopping, etc.

And I can say this because I am a parent. (I can't stand it when people who aren't parents form opinions on what is good or not-so-good parenting. You don't have a clue until you actually are one.)

I was a cashier for many years at a natural foods grocer, and there were quite a few parents that would come shopping with their wild kiddo's in tow. It was as if they expected the employees in the store to discipline their kids. One time, a mother asked me to tell her kid no, when he kept asking for candy. I told her, "Well, he's not my son, so I don't feel comfortable with that." Those "families with children" spaces are in response to that sort of irresponsible parenting, not that all parents who use them are irresponsible - that's not what I mean. They were made in response to the lack of proper parental supervision.
I think you missed the post that stated people *assume* a parking lot accident is always the kid's fault when it's not. It's sometimes the fault of an inattentive driver.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,356,590 times
As a childless person, I don't really care, since I always park on the far end of the parking lot and walk for the extra exercise anyway. I don't understand (young, healthy) people who drive up and down the aisles looking for a close space for 10 minutes, while I've already parked at the far end and walked into the building, they are still circling, but then they can go into the mall and walk around shopping for 3 hours. Is walking through the parking lot that much different than walking inside the mall (at least on nice days)?

But it seems to me that having these parent spaces near the front door wouldn't be any safer. The most dangerous time for kids in a parking lot seems to me to be when the parent is distracted by loading/unloading kids/groceries/packages from the vehicle. Following that time would be when you actually cross from the parking lot over to the sidewalk. Having both of those times take place near the front door, where the traffic is the highest, doesn't seem safer to me.

If it was really all about safety, I'd make the parent's spaces wider, but put them off to one end or the other of the parking lot, away from the front door, but near a sidewalk, so that they are away from the heaviest traffic, but still don't have to walk through the parking lot to get to the entrance, they just cross over in an area with far less traffic and walk on the sidewalk.

I'd bet that most parents would look for a narrow space closer to the door rather than the wide, reserved, parents space that had them having to walk a hundred feet farther on the sidewalk.

Just my $.02

Old 03-29-2013, 02:57 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,356,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

I used to work at Barnes and Noble, and I can't even tell you how many parents left small children in the children's department and LEFT the store to do other shopping. Small children meaning under the age of 5. They treated us as a babysitter.

I don't have to be a parent to judge that bad parenting. Neither do the police, who we had to call about once a month when the child was small enough that they couldn't even tell us their parents names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting