Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The number of children in the whole USA who are kidnapped by strangers and not returned within 48 hours unharmed is about 30 a year. Imagine how small the number is in New Zealand. Where would this band of child-grabbing New Zealanders take the child, and what do you think they would do to it? Why wouldn 't they follow the mother home, and then sneak into her house when she is asleep and take the baby and put it through a meat grinder, or whatever you think they intend to do?
If you are going to make ridiculous arguments defending the abandoning of a baby because the chance something will happen is 'small,' I don't know how to respond to this crap.

You asked what the mother could do that a stranger couldn't. One thing is determine who does and doesn't belong there, who should or shouldn't pick up the baby and walk off with it, etc. How would a stranger have any idea of the structure of the baby's family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you are going to make ridiculous arguments defending the abandoning of a baby because the chance something will happen is 'small,' I don't know how to respond to this crap.

You asked what the mother could do that a stranger couldn't. One thing is determine who does and doesn't belong there, who should or shouldn't pick up the baby and walk off with it, etc. How would a stranger have any idea of the structure of the baby's family?
The baby was not "abandoned". The baby was left in a safe and secure place, with the assumption that the neighbors and other community members would collectively see that it came to no harm during a few minutes of nap time. If you have chosen to live in an unsafe neighborhood, that is no concern of the woman in New Zealand, who at least takes the trouble to ensure that her baby is being raised among civilized and responsible people.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
If there happened to be some kind of an emergency, what is it that the child's mother could do that a stranger could not do, in order to protect the child from serious danger? You are not the mother, so by default you must be the stranger in the parking lot. Why would you refuse to protect the child? What does that say about you? Why should the mother protect the child from your own callous disregard for the safety of children in your community?
If, by happenstance, there was a stranger nearby. Or if, by happenstance, any other of a zillion possibilities.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Try not to pay any attn to that careless remark!

The baby WAS INDEED ABANDONED!!!!!! -- Anyone could have gotton to her when the mother was inside the store!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
The baby was not "abandoned". The baby was left in a safe and secure place, with the assumption that the neighbors and other community members would collectively see that it came to no harm during a few minutes of nap time. If you have chosen to live in an unsafe neighborhood, that is no concern of the woman in New Zealand, who at least takes the trouble to ensure that her baby is being raised among civilized and responsible people.
That is quite an assumption!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I think people justifying the mother's behavior are irrational. You can't have a rational argument w/ irrational people. End of story.
I don't care have safe your neighborhood is, you don't leave a baby, or small children unattended in a car...period.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think people justifying the mother's behavior are irrational. You can't have a rational argument w/ irrational people. End of story.
I don't care have safe your neighborhood is, you don't leave a baby, or small children unattended in a car...period.

Yah. My Dad used to chuckle, wryly, at parents who would say things like well we did not have car seats and we survived. Lucky bastards. Think of all the people who didn't! We do things differently over time because we learn from experience. My sister in law said one time, it is not the RISK of harm being high that causes me to take my kids with me, it is the consequence and how unthinkably bad they are if something were to happen. That kind of grave consequence causes appropriate action, regardless of how small the risk is in my view.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Yah. My Dad used to chuckle, wryly, at parents who would say things like well we did not have car seats and we survived. Lucky bastards. Think of all the people who didn't! We do things differently over time because we learn from experience. My sister in law said one time, it is not the RISK of harm being high that causes me to take my kids with me, it is the consequence and how unthinkably bad they are if something were to happen. That kind of grave consequence causes appropriate action, regardless of how small the risk is in my view.
I hear the same things from my mom whether it be about car seats, crib bumpers, or even washing new clothes before using them. Times have changed. We have so much information available to us compared to back in the day.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Where? Certainly nowhere that I've ever seen.
My mom lived NYC in the early 1960's. She told me that although she never did it, people used to leave their stroller outside the store and go inside and shop. Then every once in awhile, someone would come in the store and announce, "so and so baby is crying." And the mom would run out to attend to the baby.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
Pray tell -if the mothers had the babies in strollers (which I'm assuming had wheels and could be moved about easily), why did the mothers leave the babies outside instead of just rolling the baby into the store with the mother? I'm not following the thinking of mothers all over the world leaving the baby outside while she shops. Is the store going to wake the baby up? Is the baby a huge inconvenience? What's the deal? This is very interesting. I just don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My mom lived NYC in the early 1960's. She told me that although she never did it, people used to leave their stroller outside the store and go inside and shop. Then every once in awhile, someone would come in the store and announce, "so and so baby is crying." And the mom would run out to attend to the baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting