Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Pray tell -if the mothers had the babies in strollers (which I'm assuming had wheels and could be moved about easily), why did the mothers leave the babies outside instead of just rolling the baby into the store with the mother? I'm not following the thinking of mothers all over the world leaving the baby outside while she shops. Is the store going to wake the baby up? Is the baby a huge inconvenience? What's the deal? This is very interesting. I just don't get it.
I don't know about the US, but in England in the 60's (and earlier) there were far fewer supermarkets and department stores - most shops were very small, where even four or five customers at once could be difficult space-wise. Quite often there were a couple of steps up to the store entrance, which was almost always a single door that didn't open automatically. I imagine it would have been similar in older parts of the US, especially NYC.

Also, in those days prams were very common for non-walking babies and they were HUGE!

Scroll down to the last two photos on this web-page to see what I mean.
Shopping in Beaumaris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Pray tell -if the mothers had the babies in strollers (which I'm assuming had wheels and could be moved about easily), why did the mothers leave the babies outside instead of just rolling the baby into the store with the mother? I'm not following the thinking of mothers all over the world leaving the baby outside while she shops. Is the store going to wake the baby up? Is the baby a huge inconvenience? What's the deal? This is very interesting. I just don't get it.
Trying to get a big heavy pram in through two sets of doors that don't open automatically, usually up a step or several and then trying to maneuverer that pram through a small shop with narrow aisles without bumping into things/people or waking up the baby.... so much easier, and better for the baby, to leave them outside in the fresh air.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think people justifying the mother's behavior are irrational. You can't have a rational argument w/ irrational people. End of story.
I don't care have safe your neighborhood is, you don't leave a baby, or small children unattended in a car...period.

yeah, I have to absolutely agree with this.
If it is going to be too much to go shopping with a baby, then stay home or get a baby sitter.

here in NYC, yes, it was the Etan Patz era, that changed the laws here..

Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
Oh, I see. Wow. Thanks for elaborating on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I don't know about the US, but in England in the 60's (and earlier) there were far fewer supermarkets and department stores - most shops were very small, where even four or five customers at once could be difficult space-wise. Quite often there were a couple of steps up to the store entrance, which was almost always a single door that didn't open automatically. I imagine it would have been similar in older parts of the US, especially NYC.

Also, in those days prams were very common for non-walking babies and they were HUGE!

Scroll down to the last two photos on this web-page to see what I mean.
Shopping in Beaumaris

Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
Yes, now I can see that. Guess we are very handicapped accessible nowadays with most stores and, as such, aisles are wider, entrances either have no steps or ramps at some location. Yes, times have changed. Thanks for elaborating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Trying to get a big heavy pram in through two sets of doors that don't open automatically, usually up a step or several and then trying to maneuverer that pram through a small shop with narrow aisles without bumping into things/people or waking up the baby.... so much easier, and better for the baby, to leave them outside in the fresh air.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, now I can see that. Guess we are very handicapped accessible nowadays with most stores and, as such, aisles are wider, entrances either have no steps or ramps at some location. Yes, times have changed. Thanks for elaborating.
You're welcome

Though times have not changed over here, in some small shops at least, so we still leave our babies outside sometimes.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,193,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
You're welcome

Though times have not changed over here, in some small shops at least, so we still leave our babies outside sometimes.
You guys don't have baby bjorns in Finland?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
You guys don't have baby bjorns in Finland?
I couldn't carry my baby in one of those after the first month, she was too heavy for my back to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting