U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 07:54 AM

3,839 posts, read 1,682,657 times

Advertisements

Yup, I know this is a small thing, relatively...but maybe not. Perhaps it isn't just indicative of an event that happens once a year, but shows how even children feel entitled to get what they want by any means necessary (apologies to Malcolm X---I'm quite sure this is not what he has talking about!).

The paper today had an article about a local Easter egg hunt. An 8 year old was asked about all the candy-filled eggs he had in his Easter basket. He explained that he "took eggs out of some babies' hands." His mother was there as he was interviewed and apparently wasn't horrified hearing this. She mentioned that she would be taking her son on for another egg hunt right after this one.

This is horrifying to me. No, I don't think the babies will have to go for years of therapy to deal with the trauma of having their eggs stolen. No, I don't think the babies will suffer by not having enough candy. But for an 8 year old to steal from anyone, let alone a baby? It's not that they were hunting at the same place at the same time and the 8 year old was faster. There was a section for kids under 3 years and a section for older kids. So this 8 year old just walked up to babies who had already participated in the hunt and took the eggs from them!

I don't care how old this makes me sound---I would NEVER have stolen eggs from anyone when I was 8! I was happy just to get however many eggs I got. I think this really illustrates how kids today are being raised (to just think of themselves and to resort to any means to get what they want)....

And Easter egg hunts seem like a pretty pagan ritual to me, but since they happen the day before the most important Christian holiday, it seems that maybe parents would want to tie in some ethics and morality lessons to this. I haven't seen the WWJD bands lately.....I'm pretty sure Jesus would not condone this type of behavior!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 AM

19,476 posts, read 22,825,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Yup, I know this is a small thing, relatively...but maybe not. Perhaps it isn't just indicative of an event that happens once a year, but shows how even children feel entitled to get what they want by any means necessary (apologies to Malcolm X---I'm quite sure this is not what he has talking about!).

The paper today had an article about a local Easter egg hunt. An 8 year old was asked about all the candy-filled eggs he had in his Easter basket. He explained that he "took eggs out of some babies' hands." His mother was there as he was interviewed and apparently wasn't horrified hearing this. She mentioned that she would be taking her son on for another egg hunt right after this one.

This is horrifying to me. No, I don't think the babies will have to go for years of therapy to deal with the trauma of having their eggs stolen. No, I don't think the babies will suffer by not having enough candy. But for an 8 year old to steal from anyone, let alone a baby? It's not that they were hunting at the same place at the same time and the 8 year old was faster. There was a section for kids under 3 years and a section for older kids. So this 8 year old just walked up to babies who had already participated in the hunt and took the eggs from them!

I don't care how old this makes me sound---I would NEVER have stolen eggs from anyone when I was 8! I was happy just to get however many eggs I got. I think this really illustrates how kids today are being raised (to just think of themselves and to resort to any means to get what they want)....

And Easter egg hunts seem like a pretty pagan ritual to me, but since they happen the day before the most important Christian holiday, it seems that maybe parents would want to tie in some ethics and morality lessons to this. I haven't seen the WWJD bands lately.....I'm pretty sure Jesus would not condone this type of behavior!
His Mom might not have been horrified but I certainly was, imagine stealing eggs from a baby!

The last public Easter egg hunt I took my children to was when they were 4 and 8. There was a section for children 3 and under and the main section for children 4 to 10. There were several "10 year olds" standing near us, without parents, who were starting to grow mustaches (so I guess that they were actually 12 or 13).

In the rush to get eggs my 4 year old daughter was pushed to the ground and stepped on by one those "big 10 year olds". By the time that she got up and stopped crying every single egg was gone. My 8 year old was only able to get a couple of eggs before he was pushed aside by older kids, but he shared them with his sister.

No more public Easter egg hunts for my family.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,324,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

This is NOT new. As a kid, I hated Easter egg hunts because I was not an aggressive child and all the other kids would dash out and tackle the eggs before I could. They would grab them right out of my hand or push me out of the way to get there first. Just the raw aggression of the event was frightening for me. I have never taken my son to one - it's hard enough dealing with the aggressive competition at the stupid park classes he goes to. I just think some parents/kids are aggressive, and others aren't. It's always been that way and probably always will be. Easter egg hunts are not fun for a lot of kids. Never have been, never will be.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM

49,928 posts, read 54,834,298 times
I can't stand public egg hunts, especially the kind where they just litter eggs across the ground. Those should be called "egg grabs."

We have much more fun at family egg hunts where you can really hide the eggs and all generations get involved.

I am never surprised by people's behavior anymore, though.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 AM

6,500 posts, read 11,252,774 times
Oh I've seen that.... hate it. I defend my niece/nephew... no way would I let an older kid do that them. And if the parents have a problem with it, then they better be willing to deal with me. It won't be pretty.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 AM

12,977 posts, read 13,841,894 times
Yes, this is nothing new. We don't do public egg hunts for this very reason.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 AM

47,527 posts, read 66,597,285 times
My kids didn't participate in these kinds of things for that reason. The parents are the worst, they actually encourage their kids to get the most. I would try to have an egg hunt in the yard but the dogs always won.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 AM

225 posts, read 323,670 times
My ex-inlaws used to get upset that my children didn't participate in their annual Easter Egg hunts. I was (lucky?) enough to have the excuse of "they don't celebrate Easter." However, I finally compromised and agreed to allow them to go "if Easter didn't fall during Passover."

The reason I didn't want my children to participate (in addition to the relgious concern) was I didn't want them learning that stepping up and taking something that might have belonged to someone else, was happiness. I taught my children that the *joy* was being invited -- because it meant someone was thinking of them. I also instructed them not to pick up any eggs -- leave them for the little ones.

I still have a problem understanding where the Easter Bunny and chocolate eggs come into the equation. While I don't believe in the story, I respect others' beliefs.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:01 AM

16,833 posts, read 16,575,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post

I still have a problem understanding where the Easter Bunny and chocolate eggs come into the equation. While I don't believe in the story, I respect others' beliefs.
Psst.....it not part of anyone's "beliefs".

Its left over from the old pagan holiday devoted to Eostre it was just "borrowed"

Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 AM

12,006 posts, read 10,886,918 times
I thought Easter eggs were supposed to be hidden, and the joy was in finding them, not just picking them up where they've been scattered on the ground in plain sight! But a photo in my local paper of yesterday's Easter egg hunt at a city park shows the eggs strewn all about, not hidden at all. Wrong focus, except for very young children...

Parental cluelessness in regard to grabby and aggressive kids does nothing to encourage civilized behavior.

Some say that Easter eggs can also represent the emergence of Christ from the tomb, along with resurrection of life in the spring. Rabbits?? Just a charming pagan carry-over. I think the goddess Oestre had something to do with bunnies - was thinking her chariot was drawn by them, but no, that was Freya, whose sky-cart was drawn by big gray cats. They are also famous for having been the only cats in history (or mythology, in this case) who were ever known to pull anything (when's the last time you saw a bunch of cats harnessed up pulling a catsled??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting