Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,697 times

Advertisements

You kids.

Eating placentas was a fad in the 70's, so much so that an unaired Saturday Night Live skit for "Placenta Helper" was published in a book about SNL (1977 or 78?) It was so hilarious that I immediately thought of it when I saw this thread title, despite the passage of 35 years since reading the script. I think it ends with the husband saying something along the lines of, "ummm, we should have this every night!" Wife responds, "oh, honey..." <both laugh>

Here's some information from the Straight Dope site:

Is there really such a thing as ... placenta stew? - The Straight Dope

Placenta Helper on SNL - Straight Dope Message Board

Bon appetit!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
All mammals do it. If you don't take your placenta the hospital will sell it to pharmaceutical companies to make cosmetics. Seems like the natural thing to do. Dehydrate it and encapsulate it.
There's a midwife here that will do it for $100.
Mammals eat their babies placentas to get rid of all smells so that predators will not find them and kill them. Last I heard we don't have wolves and grizzly bears hunting us down to kill our babies. No, I would never do that. I have heard of women (usually at homebirths) that bury the placenta and plant a tree there for the child. That I think is fine, but eating them is a whole other story.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 PM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
Placenta? Now that's a pretty name!
Geez, "All mammals do it," some eat their feces too.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Funniest thread ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Here are some yummy mummy placenta recipes for your eating pleasure.

Placenta recipes, eating your placenta, roast placenta

Enjoy!
From your link, this sounds particularly appetising:

Quote:
Dehydrating your placenta

Instead of cooking your placenta whole, you can dehydrate it and then add it to meals! The following method is extracted from an article entitled "Thinking About Eating Your Placenta?" by Susan James, which appeared in the winter 1996 issue of "The Compleat Mother". It was discovered posted on a newsgroup noticeboard, so we cannot absolutely guarantee its authenticity, or that it is an actual verbatim account of the magazine article.
Method:

Cut off the cord and membranes.
Steam the placenta, adding lemon grass, pepper and ginger to the steaming water. The placenta is "done" when no blood comes out when you pierce it with a fork.
Cut the placenta into thin slices (like making jerky) and bake in a low-heat oven (200-250 degrees F), until it is dry and crumbly (several hours).
Crush the placenta into a powder - using a food processor, blender, mortar and pestle, or by putting it in a bag and grinding it with rocks.
Put the powder into empty gel caps (available at drug and health food stores) or just add a spoonful to your cereal, blender drink, etc.
The recommended doses vary, some suggest up to 4 capsules a day, others just one. Perhaps the best advice is to take what makes you feel good
A spoonful of dehydrated placenta on cereal. Anyone?

Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Hope everyone had a great April Fool's Day! Until next year....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting