U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,659,498 times

Advertisements

The NRA's School Shield plan recommends arming school personnel. Would adding armed staff at your child's school make you feel more or less comfortable sending your kids off to school each day?

NRA-backed task force pushes to arm teachers, school staff - First Read

From the above article:

" [An NRA representative is] advising schools to train teachers and other school personnel to carry guns to protect their students... [the NRA representative said] the program should only be for those who are interested in going through 40-60 hours of firearms training and that this is not talking about all teachers. Teachers should teach... Instead, the focus is on arming staff who are employed at the school."

An additional article about School Shield:

NRA School Shield Suggests Schools Arm More People - US News and World Report

How would you feel about armed staff at your child's school?

Last edited by k9coach; 04-02-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM

46,181 posts, read 44,533,233 times
It's the NRA. What else would they recommend?

We have an armed sheriff's deputy at each school. They are called "resource officers," and their main job is preventive, to know the student body and recognize when problems or conflicts may be developing.

I would not be in favor of training teachers to be armed. They have enough on their plates already.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
We have an armed sheriff's deputy at each school. They are called "resource officers," and their main job is preventive, to know the student body and recognize when problems or conflicts may be developing.
Interesting. I would like to include this sort of setup in my question as well. Whether it's an officer or another school staff member, does the presence of armed personnel make you feel more or less comfortable about sending your kids to school (vs. no armed staff)? Or does your comfort level depend on who is armed, i.e. you feel your child is safer with armed deputies but not with armed teachers / principals / nurses / janitors?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM

6,152 posts, read 6,837,999 times
I do think more armed personnel should be in schools. Where's its police or admin I ha don't formed my opinion yet.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 PM

606 posts, read 808,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
How would you feel about armed staff at your child's school?
Pre-high school that would be sufficient for me to pull her out of the school.

I could see having an (armed) police officer at a high school, possibly.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,552,826 times
I teach in a suburb just 25 miles out of that great mecca of violence, NYC. We do not have armed personnel, we do not have a school police officer, we even give our kids rifles (dummy ones) and swords (real ones). We do not need guns in our school, thanks.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,979,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Pre-high school that would be sufficient for me to pull her out of the school.
Totally agree. And high school too. Tells me everything I need to know about the atmosphere, internally and externally.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM

2,574 posts, read 4,794,472 times
When you read the statistics about how often highly-trained police miss their targets when shooting a live people in a crime situation (it's most of the time), it makes you very leery of arming teachers, who don't have, and shouldn't be expected to get, that kind of intensive firearms training.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 PM

Would any of you feel that your children are actually less safe in school with armed staff than without armed staff? One person has already stated they would pull their child out of school if armed personnel were introduced. Would anyone else do the same if your child's school started training staff on firearms and arming them?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 PM

11,311 posts, read 21,402,348 times
I would not feel that they were any less safe. I'm not sure if they would be more safe or not. They're safer in my home because I have a gun and I know how to use it...but I trust my judgement more than I've trusted some of their teachers.

Plus, when you hear about incidents where teachers lose their tempers, it's a little troublesome to think of an armed teacher losing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting