U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 PM

24,841 posts, read 30,881,044 times

Advertisements

That seems pretty ridiculous. The school aged kids of working parents that I know either go to an after school program at the school, or ride a day care center bus, or have a nanny or sitter. How do the other parents get their kids from school to the after school program? I don't know many people who could or would pick up their child then go back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 PM

46,500 posts, read 44,811,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen00 View Post
I'm picking up her up early because of early dinner time at my household.
Can't you change dinnertime?

What times are we talking about here?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 PM

24,841 posts, read 30,881,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Can't you change dinnertime?

What times are we talking about here?
I was going to say... I don't get to go home early so we can have dinner early. Dinner is when I get home from work.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,761,770 times
I'm confused. Picking her up, driving her to after-school, then picking her up in an hour..? Seems like that makes no sense at all. I've never heard of an after school-program that didn't provide transportation. I mean, the whole purpose of after-school programs is to accommodate working parents. I would look for a different program. Or, as others have said, hire someone to pick her up and take her home and sit with her until you are free, avoiding the program entirely. I always see Craigslist ads searching for a person to do just that and I would do that sort of job myself if I was free during after-school time. Try care.com, you can choose, I think, to only show available people who have had background checks done. Or maybe a mom that has the time and could use a little extra money, if you know any other moms at the school who are free.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 PM

5 posts, read 34,829 times
Sorry for the confusion ... my wife is working night shift at the moment (temporary though) so we need to have dinner earlier . In my area (Seattle) there are lots of after school programs that don't provide transportation, most of which are smaller and home-based.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 PM

5 posts, read 34,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Having done lots of carpools over the years, I'd say, be careful. I finally decided I was never going to be in another carpool again after some bad experiences.
Hi Katiana - could you share the experience? I'm curious

Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 AM

88,741 posts, read 105,120,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen00 View Post
Hi Katiana - could you share the experience? I'm curious
Tomorrow. I have to go to bed. I can barely keep my eyes open, let alone compose a rational post.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 AM

2,481 posts, read 5,181,701 times
I'm curious too! As a SAHM I am always wondering when I will start getting these requests for baby sitting services. It's never too soon to start learning and preparing for them. LOL

Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM

88,741 posts, read 105,120,266 times
OK, I spent a little time thinking about this after I went to bed last night. (It's been a while.)

Probably the worst that happened, from my perspective, was when my father died and we had to go to his funeral out of state. When I called the only other person available to pick kids up, she said she could "maybe" pick them up, e.g if she didn't have anything else going on. I finally said, "Well, I'm not going to be here." She did agree to clear her calendar to take the other kids home.

One day, five minutes before my daughter 'Suzy' was supposed to go to the neighbor's for her ride to school, the neighbor had her daughter call and say they were "running late" due to the daughter still doing a long homework assignment, and "Suzy can go with you." Like this was something good. My DH, who usually drove the kids when it was our turn to take them, wasn't going to work that morning and was still in bed; I was up but not dressed. I quickly got dressed and took my kid. One time before, this parent backed out, yet sent her other kid over to our house to ride with us!

Kids not ready in the morning.

Kids not showing up after school; eventually one of the other kids would remember she was going home with someone else. Despite repeated requests, the kids did not seem to remember to tell us.

Kids showing up after school with a friend they were taking home, and there was no room in the car. (We solved that one pretty fast, requiring the kids to clear it with the driver.)

Kids brought home late b/c the driver ran an errand on the way home, w/o checking with the other parents if they had any plans.

Kids dawdling after school and making the driver late.

There's probably lots more, that I've deliberately forgotten.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 AM

38,587 posts, read 47,479,788 times
You, for sure, must find a better arrangement for after school care. I hope you can find one that buses to a day care, or to an individual, after school.
You cannot possibly be doing anything useful at your job for the last hour, if you leave every day. What kind of job do you have that you can do this? Can you just call it a day, and leave an hour early and not go back?

Just like in Katiana's carpool experience, an institutional daycare with bus will give you more piece of mind than depending on a neighbor or babysitter to be reliable all the time. I know it is hard enough to juggle childcare when you work without worrying if others will follow through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or