U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 PM

16,489 posts, read 23,453,734 times

Advertisements

OP, that is pretty disgusting. Teen boys often stink even when they DO shower. I can't imagine how bad your son must smell, especially wearing the same stinky clothes day after day. He needs a girl he is really interested in to come up to him and tell him how bad he smells. Sometimes it takes something that difficult for them to "get it". I'd allot one evening to "laundry day" for HIM. He is responsible for washing all of his dirty clothes himself. One day a week he is responsible for cleaning his room and whatever he does not clean up goes. Every night at whatever time is his shower time. If he refuses to do this then you can start implementing things such as cell phone taken away, car keys taken away, computer boxed up and put into the garage, no going out with friend, whatever it takes. If you don't get a grip on him now this will only get worse. You have at least 2 more years of this to deal with, so take control now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 AM

36,502 posts, read 50,892,413 times
I had a college roommate who had a horrible bad BO. Everybody asked me how I can stand to room with her. I tried to stay out of the room as much as possible.

i knew she showered every day and I was perplexed. She was a really nice girl. One day I had to put something in her closet and when I opened the door I almost fell out from the smell. She was not washing her clothes regularly and the odor was coming from dirty clothes. Also she was somewhat heavy and very active. She was from a large family and her mother was very busy taking care of younger kids and apparently washing clothes after 1 or 2 wearings was not their way. I finally had to speak to her about what others were saying and how I thought she could manage her problem. We started going to the laundromat together and she was flabbergasted to learn most people wash their clothes as often as they do. She finally caught on and the difference was remarkable.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 AM

19,476 posts, read 22,806,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
There is a post in the Work Employment forum from the OP saying the son is looking for his first job. I would suggest they get this issue under control before he starts interviewing.
Even if he fills out an application someplace the employee taking the application would notice the dirt under his fingernails, dirty clothing and funky smell and tell the boss. DS probably will never even get to any interviews unless he cleans up his act.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,030,722 times
I think Brokencrayola hit the nail on the head. He'll probably change the minute he finds a girl he wants to date and she tells him he smells. Or she tells her friends and it will quickly get back to him. Or some girl posts he is stinky on Facebook.

Right now it seems to be more teenager knocking heads with parent. Time is on your side.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM

11,496 posts, read 25,164,839 times
I would just take away privelages until he's clean enough for your standards. No more going places with friends, no more fancy clothes, no more internet access, whatever gets him going, tell him that he's got to go scrub before he can have it.

My sister was like that about showering...my kids called her "Aunt Stinky" behind her back because she's pretty stinky. (Had to clean the couch after she sat there, for example). She has a boyfriend living with her now and she's totally stepped up the personal hygiene.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,111,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I would just take away privelages until he's clean enough for your standards. No more going places with friends, no more fancy clothes, no more internet access, whatever gets him going, tell him that he's got to go scrub before he can have it.
This is what you should do. Do NOT wait for him to move out or to date a girl who will do your job for you.

There is also the chance he is asexual, bisexual, homosexual, or transexual. There is also the possibility that he is neglecting himself because he has been neglected by his caregivers in some ways they are not aware of. A parent should be talking to their child about all of these things, as well as the importance/benefit/necessity of taking care of themselves/their things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting