Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,501 times

Advertisements

I had a hard time finding an appropriate costume for my 5th grade daughter! She either looked "trashy" or they were too baby-ish.
I agree 100% that the clothes for young girls is outragous!! My hubby and I tell them all the time that they do not want to look trashy. It is hard to find anything outside of t-shirts and jeans that isn't trashy looking. Even the t-shirts are bad sometimes. "My parents are just here to buy me things" or "Buy me something" or "Brat". I could go on and on. My daughter has finally gotten the clue - after leaving stores empty-handed - that I will not buy those types of clothes for her or let her wear them. Even the shoes!! Knee high boots with a big heel on them. ALL the shoes (except gym shoes) seem to have heels on them! Not only do they look trashy, they screw up their feet! We call them "Ankle breakers" in our house. My kids will not be wearing those, either!

If we let them wear these clothes now, what will they be wearing at 16 - nothing?

My husband, and other male friends have commented on how scary it is for single guys in their 20's. Some of these 16 or 17 year old girls look like they're in their 20's!! How's a guy going to know he's picking up a 17 year old that is jail-bait when she looks 23? The scary thing is that someone is buying these trashy clothes for these girls! What the h*ll is wrong with them?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 06:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Among pint-sized cheerleaders, itty-bitty beauty queens, and in the malls of America, the sassy-sexy look isn't just for teens anymore.

Some say younger girls are going shorter and barer -- taking their cues from characters like the Cheetah Girls, the Pussycat Dolls and the Bratz dolls -- and some observers are saying they've had enough.

ABC News: Are Young Girls Dressing Too Revealingly?
the wonderful thing about getting older is that jail bait is no longer the danger that it once was for me.
but i am sure for younger men it is a problem.
by the way 14 years difference between her age and his and her under 18 makes it phophile crime.
this post was intended to offend no one.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 PM

206 posts, read 938,788 times
I agree, young girls are dressing way too inappropriately. I have an 8yr old daughter. It's terrifying some the clothing I see in the store for her. We usually shop at the Gap, Boden, & Pumpkin Patch.

It's the responsiblity of the parents to dress their girls appropriately. The girls want it and the parents buy it. It's very sad that parents just don't say NO!!!

Luckily, my daughter doesn't ask for that kind of clothing. Partly, because she doesn't watch tv and partly because myself & other women role models in her life don't dress like hookers!!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 10,267 times
You all are right, of course parents should bring up their children to understand moral rules. But I quess you were not living in Soviet Union, where any demonstration of sexuality was a crime. Human body is beautiful, and youth is short, so let those teen girls dress in whatever they want.
It's much more stupid to be grumpy old men and talk about "old good times".

Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorann View Post

It's the responsiblity of the parents to dress their girls appropriately. The girls want it and the parents buy it. It's very sad that parents just don't say NO!!!

Luckily, my daughter doesn't ask for that kind of clothing. Partly, because she doesn't watch tv and partly because myself & other women role models in her life don't dress like hookers!!!!
And there you have it: "...the girls want it and the parents buy it." It's like a disease these days - parents don't know how to say NO.

Role models are everything, too. About 5 yrs ago, when I was wedding dress shopping, there was a mother/daughter duo looking for jr prom dresses. I was shocked by what the mom thought was cute and appropriate for her 16 yr old daughter: bare midriffs, strapless, backless, slinky dresses.

Clothing manufacturers, media, TV. etc.. will continue to bombard us with lifestyle choices that are not age-appropriate for our children because they can and because so many parents buy into it.

Whatever happened to letting children be children?

Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,190 times
My sister-in-law is an assistant manager for the Limited Too. I brought my 2 year old in there one day thinking-let's see what Aunt Carol can get for you with her discount. I called Aunt Carol (she's 25) and asked her why her store carries bikini panties displayed like it was Victoria's Secret for girls just a few years past being potty trained??? She totally understood, and said that they partially market to the MOMS who are wearing that sized clothing . I told her that she better not ever bring her niece anything from that store that a mom or one of the little prosti-tots are wearing just to show some skin.

And I get so tired of people blaming the media, the celebrities, blah blah blah-are we that powerless that we are so easily led by a picture on the magazine. I think that's pathetic. You don't like what your kid is watching-don't let them watch it. They fight with you-get rid of the TV. You're the parent. There is no way my daughter will dress like that, I don't care if I have to strip search her before she leaves for school to make sure she's not smuggling an outfit out. She wouldn't anyway, because nobody would be buying her those clothes to begin with. I may not even let her be one of those cute little cheerleaders after hearing the cheers the little 6 year olds were doing at my nephew's pop warner game. "Hey Michelle!!!" "What?!" "Shake your bootie!" WHY IS A SIX YEAR OLD SHAKING HER A$$ IN FRONT OF A STAND FULL OF ADULTS????? Isn't our job to keep them off the pole?? It's a pedophile's paradise.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:32 AM

18,008 posts, read 27,453,889 times
For those of you that put your focus on the parents, the friends that your girl hangs out with, and the TV that you let her watch, I'd agree. It's got to start there and end there for sure.

That being said, it sure seems to me like the norm has changed. Every passing year, it seems like the envelope gets pushed further and further. Adults as a whole show a culture of tolerance and freedom while their kids do what some of us wanted to do; grow up right now! We wanna do what the adults are doing. Now it's become the norm. It's no big deal. If kids wanna party, they're gonna party. If the kids want to have sex, I don't know. I suppose it's the same thing. As far as clothes and material things, a six year old kid has more than I got right now! They have a nicer cell phone. More expensive shoes. Have a better hair cut. Get real, folks! Look what's become the norm!

I watch shows like South Park and E! There's NO WAY we'd have that stuff on if the nieces or nephews were around. Then I'm watching a couple of seconds of Family Guy the other night. (I don't watch the show. I've really never seen a full episode.) I was amazed that this trash isn't any better than South Park. I'll agree that South Park is horrible trash and bad for society as a whole. But if you're an adult and paying the mortgage or rent, you can watch what you damn well want. But if you're gonna watch Family Guy with pervs staring at a woman in her home with binoculars (guy was a cop, by the way), you might as well go all the way and watch South Park or Drawn Together. This show is so over the top, it makes me sick to my stomach.

See where we've gone? It goes back to the saying "Less is More." A truely sexy woman is one who holds back a bit. She doesn't just fall over backwards with her heels in the air. It's like the comedian who takes it a bit too far. His content should be funnier than anybody because he's so over the top! But instead, you just kind of want to puke in your mouth a bit and go home. DANE COOK! Remember how funny the Coz was?

So our culture has changed and freedom is great and all that, but PEOPLE! Back off the accelerator a bit. When I hear that some of these people are letting their kids watch South Park, I'm appalled. I'm like, "No Way". Those shows should be considered adult entertainment and even the adults should feel a bit of guilt watching that trash. It's sometimes funny and hillarious trash, I'll admit. But it comes with a consequence.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:20 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
My sister-in-law is an assistant manager for the Limited Too. I brought my 2 year old in there one day thinking-let's see what Aunt Carol can get for you with her discount. I called Aunt Carol (she's 25) and asked her why her store carries bikini panties displayed like it was Victoria's Secret for girls just a few years past being potty trained??? She totally understood, and said that they partially market to the MOMS who are wearing that sized clothing . I told her that she better not ever bring her niece anything from that store that a mom or one of the little prosti-tots are wearing just to show some skin.
I will have to admit that I shopped in the "Little Girl" section until I became pregnant. Girls size 12-14 pants (even today) fit just right. They're also cheaper.

So.. I guess I'm part of the problem.

Aside from that.... I'm glad my dad was a pack rat. He still has many of the clothes I used to wear in elementary school. None of this trashy business.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:18 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I will have to admit that I shopped in the "Little Girl" section until I became pregnant. Girls size 12-14 pants (even today) fit just right. They're also cheaper.

So.. I guess I'm part of the problem.

Aside from that.... I'm glad my dad was a pack rat. He still has many of the clothes I used to wear in elementary school. None of this trashy business.
I don't have a problem with tiny moms wearing the clothes because that's what fits them (ya skinny witches ). My issue is a "kids" store marketing and making clothes to attract an adult clientele, when the clothes should be geared toward the kids. The panty table just really irritated me. LOL. Even The Children's Place (If you tell me those clothes fit you too, I'm going to be really really jealous-LOL). The shorts for the little girls are super short and the outfits on the dummies are all midrif tops that show their bellies. I just already feel bad for my daughter because I know I'm going to be super strict with her when it comes to this. And if I'm not, then my husband will be doing inspections everytime she comes out of her room. LOL.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:28 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,585 times
Girls are absolutely dressing wayyy too revealingly.. even on days like Halloween its become out of control. Let me give you a perfect example.. This pic is of my sister inlaws friends for halloween.. She's 16, and went as a playboy bunny... Now would you let your 16 year old girl go walking around the neighborhood in this get up.. I had to pick up my jaw off the ground when I saw her in this.. its just gross...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/HALLOWEEN2.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting