Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 AM

224 posts, read 356,799 times

Advertisements

You guys didn't even answer my question.

How would y'all feel if your child requested to have work done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
If my child felt very strongly about a feature, such as you seem to, I would do what I could for him/her, within reason. A nose job, probably, breast implants, doubtful. But, first, I would make sure they understood, and could handle, the idea that a physical change may not be the magic elixir to success and popularity.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.U.E.E.N View Post
Yeah, I'm being covered for reasons I do not wish to share.
As a parent I would normally say no. At least wait until you are older. Your statement makes me think you might have a reason.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
At least wait until you are older.
I'm 18.

I have until I'm 25 until I'm no longer under my parents insurance, or if I get a job... or get married.

So I have to do this as soon as possible.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:

Why? No money is coming out of their pockets. All they need to do is drive me to hospital and drive me back home. Okay, maybe gas money will be wasted.
They have insurance that's going to cover 100% of a cosmetic procedure? Wow. That's some great insurance.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They have insurance that's going to cover 100% of a cosmetic procedure? Wow. That's some great insurance.
I wouldn't call it cosmetic surgery.

It's more in the plastic range.

Cosmetic surgery usually involves enhancing the appearance to look better.

Plastic is more reconstructive....

Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
If my child acted like you have said you acted no, I would not allow it but I would support it if she did it when she was on her own and could pay for it.

I would set up counseling for her and the family. Sounds like there are bigger problems than an ugly nose.

Honestly, drama and whining wouldn't cut it with me.

In my daughter's high school, it was common for certain girls to get boob jobs and/or nose jobs for their 16th birthdays. I didn't see that as wise. I could see doing elective surgery if there is a physical appearance that is clearly a negative factor but counseling would go with it. Or a medical need.

My daughter complained that her nose didn't fit her face for years, but I thought her face would change as she matured. Which it did. But I did allow and paid for her to have nose surgery when it became clear it was medically necessary and while the doctor was in there he worked on her nose a little. That was OK with me. She was about 20 or so.

Now she is 25 and has a nose that pleases her and not as much sinusitis.

I don't know how old you are, but my daughter looks so different today at 25 than she did at 15 or 20. That pretty little nose she loved as a teen would not work at all on her adult face. Just saying.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM

29 posts, read 37,456 times
Q.U.E.E.N.,
If my children spent years feeling badly about themselves because of a big nose of course I would want them to fix it and I would support them 100%. If it was their choice and they were realistic about the expectations of the surgery I would help them the best that I can. I would have no judgement towards them and I would simply support them. I hope that helps!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call it cosmetic surgery.

It's more in the plastic range.

Cosmetic surgery usually involves enhancing the appearance to look better.

Plastic is more reconstructive....
Your posts are far from clear. Do you want this done because you think you'll look better or do you want this done because your nose NEEDS reconstructing? Were you in an automobile accident? Have a run-in on the basketball court?

And your parents' insurance will cover 100%? Again. Wow. Great insurance they've got there.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
Quote:
You guys didn't even answer my question.

How would y'all feel if your child requested to have work done?
If my step daughter came home and said she wanted to have plastic surgery to fix something that has bothered her for a long time I would support her all the way and do what I could to make it happen. Now, if it was something that was just purely cosmetic, like if she wanted a boob job to look like Pamela Anderson, or if her view of her appearance was off the wall wrong I would take a different approach. But in a situation like yours I would be supportive.

I've had plastic surgery to fix something that was a huge deal to me and affected my life in many ways. I had been wanting to get it done since I was 13 and finally got it at 22. It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself and it raised my confidence by 100%. I didn't want perfection. I wanted improvement and I got that. After I had it done my insecurity in that area went away. The only thing I regret is that I didn't get it done sooner.

As long as your insecurities are actually tied to your nose and isn't a result of an underlying problem that really should be dealt with by a therapist and your expectations are realistic I'd say go for it, especially since you have insurance coverage for it. Since you're 18 you don't need your parents' permission or support even though you are on their insurance. You could always get someone else to pick you up from the hospital. Of course it's definitely best to have their support. Maybe you could bring them to the consultation with the doctor so they could get more info.

Just make sure you pick a good surgeon. Make sure the doc is a board certified plastic surgeon, not a cosmetic surgeon. Anyone can call themselves a cosmetic surgeon, even a dentist. Find out how many nose jobs your surgeon has performed and ask if you can see pics of his work. It's generally considered best to go with a doc who does his surgeries at a hospital instead of his own clinic in case something goes wrong. Also check the doctor's ratings and on any possible complaints that have been made against him. (One or more complaints doesn't necessarily mean that the surgeon is a bad surgeon in any way. Most doctors do get complaints made against them at some point in their career. Use your judgement to evaluate the relevance of any complaints but please do check.)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting