U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:07 PM

6,396 posts, read 5,799,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Then what is the difference between what you are calling "being respectful" and being polite?
I don't really see a difference. I think there is a difference between being respectful and actually having respect for someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,571,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It remains to be seen if the word "respect" changes in meaning in years to come since so many people use it to mean "nice" or "polite".
I think it is a regional difference. People around here use the word polite to mean being polite.

Respect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To be honest, until I came to CD I had never really seen anyone use the term respect to apply to common courtesy. Also, I don't see it in any definition for the word.

Respect | Define Respect at Dictionary.com
Polite | Define Polite at Dictionary.com

I do think the words matter if only because people appear to be aghast when some of us state we don't know how to "respect" people we do not know. Well respect means to hold in high regard, again, I have no idea how you are supposed to do that for people you have no knowledge of. That being said, I am certainly, courteous, civil, have good manners, etc. towards strangers aka "polite".

Old 04-16-2013, 04:24 PM

2,920 posts, read 3,302,009 times
Quote:
Then what is the difference between what you are calling "being respectful" and being polite?
There isn't any...that is what I was trying to convey. I use them interchangeably, as do many people I know, but like you said, maybe it's a regional difference.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM

20,615 posts, read 38,651,256 times
If you treat others with respect, whether you know them or not, whether they have passed some secret "test" for being respectable or not, you are respecting yourself. If you don't, you aren't. No matter what you might think.

Someone who is worthy of respect treats others with respect until said others have proven themselves unworthy of that respect. Not vice versa.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If you treat others with respect, whether you know them or not, whether they have passed some secret "test" for being respectable or not, you are respecting yourself. If you don't, you aren't. No matter what you might think.

Someone who is worthy of respect treats others with respect until said others have proven themselves unworthy of that respect. Not vice versa.

This is why I think the words matter.

What exactly has a random stranger done that warrants RESPECT

"esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability"

Every human being is due courtesy and politeness

"showing good manners toward others, as in behavior, speech, etc.; courteous"

But if I am holding EVERYONE in high esteem regardless of whether or not I know they are respectable it devalues the entire notion of respect.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 PM

14,330 posts, read 10,633,328 times
Quote:
This is why I think the words matter.
Words, yes. Grammar, not so much. You are an odd one.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Words, yes. Grammar, not so much. You are an odd one.
Really?

Its odd that I think the idea matters most?

And if anything I am routinely against judging people. Here people are being judged as less than human for for not "respecting" strangers, and in another thread a woman was judged as incompetent for a mistake all of us make EVERYDAY. Including YOU.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 PM

14,330 posts, read 10,633,328 times
Quote:
Really?

Its odd that I think the idea matters most?

And if anything I am routinely against judging people.
LOL! That is rich beyond measure.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
LOL! That is rich beyond measure.
Try to be consistent.

The people on this thread, at least according to the dictionary, are misusing the word "respect" over and over again. Shouldn't you be calling them incompetent now?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 PM

20,615 posts, read 38,651,256 times
Mirriam-Webster:

Respect:

2: an act of giving particular attention : consideration

Consideration:

3: thoughtful and sympathetic regard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or